ImageImage

The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2023-2024 Edition!

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Re: The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2015-16 Edition 

Post#41 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Dec 5, 2015 12:57 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:Remeber when ppl got all hot and bothered that Curry called himself the best offensive player in the league 2 summers ago? :lol: :falloff:

It seems that was August 2014 going from the articles I'm reading. I'm not sure people got as hot and bothered as they did legitimately debating whether it was true or not. It'd be interesting to read some of the opinions though.

What Curry has done this year is out of this world. Absolutely flabbergasted at the numbers he's putting up.

Also not to go off-topic, but KD's putting up as good/better numbers than he ever has before. For some reason I thought he had gotten off to a slowish start by his standards. Whoops.

Paul George and Kawhi are absolutely destroying the stat sheet as well, crazy stuff. Kawhi never ceases to surprise me- such a beast.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,432

Post#42 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Dec 6, 2015 3:51 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:Remeber when ppl got all hot and bothered that Curry called himself the best offensive player in the league 2 summers ago? :lol: :falloff:

It seems that was August 2014 going from the articles I'm reading. I'm not sure people got as hot and bothered as they did legitimately debating whether it was true or not. It'd be interesting to read some of the opinions though.

What Curry has done this year is out of this world. Absolutely flabbergasted at the numbers he's putting up.

Also not to go off-topic, but KD's putting up as good/better numbers than he ever has before. For some reason I thought he had gotten off to a slowish start by his standards. Whoops.

Paul George and Kawhi are absolutely destroying the stat sheet as well, crazy stuff. Kawhi never ceases to surprise me- such a beast.

Yeah I was way off base about Kawhi, I thought he was a 18ppg player with a up and down three point shot. He is killing it and is playing like the best player on the Spurs, with LMA their, never would have guessed.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Dec 7, 2015 12:20 am

GreenRiddler wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:

Yeah I was way off base about Kawhi, I thought he was a 18ppg player with a up and down three point shot. He is killing it and is playing like the best player on the Spurs, with LMA their, never would have guessed.

Yeah I'm in the exact same boat. I thought Pop was crazy saying Kawhi is the future leader of the franchise. It wasn't hard seeing he'd be an elite complimentary player, but I never would have guessed him to already be scoring 22 ppg (which is hard in a spurs system) on ridiculously efficient percentages. He's looking like he could top out at 26-27 ppg on efficient (but obviously not this crazy efficient) shooting, which is insane, to go along with his DPOY ability.

I'm not as surprised that Kawhi is the best player on the Spurs than I am with his scoring production though, as last year's Kawhi vs last year's LMA is a decent argument imo, and he is ever-improving. I just had no clue he could make such a jump beyond my expectations for his peak, so quickly.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#44 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Dec 7, 2015 1:08 am

it's so like the Spurs to be able to find a player like Kawhi Leonard with a 15th pick. They didn't even own the pick but they had identified Leonard and wanted him enough to trade George Hill for the 15th pick

Blazers trade Martell Webster for a 16th pick and end up with Bruce Babbitt
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#45 » by Downtown » Mon Dec 7, 2015 2:00 am

And Aldridge says they are still a ways away from getting their offence together. If father time is kind to them as far as injuries go the Spurs will be in the hunt again and unless OKC can really get in the groove under Billy Donovan and up their game as the season goes it will be Golden State and San Antonio in the finals in the West. I can't see anyone else.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#46 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Dec 7, 2015 2:03 am

Wizenheimer wrote:it's so like the Spurs to be able to find a player like Kawhi Leonard with a 15th pick. They didn't even own the pick but they had identified Leonard and wanted him enough to trade George Hill for the 15th pick

I can't tell if you're making a joke or if you, like me, have just tried so hard to scrub Luke Babbitt from your mind.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#47 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Dec 7, 2015 3:57 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:it's so like the Spurs to be able to find a player like Kawhi Leonard with a 15th pick. They didn't even own the pick but they had identified Leonard and wanted him enough to trade George Hill for the 15th pick

I can't tell if you're making a joke or if you, like me, have just tried so hard to scrub Luke Babbitt from your mind.

yes
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Downtown » Mon Dec 7, 2015 4:08 am

It's nice to see Mathews have a great game after what he's gone through.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Dec 7, 2015 4:22 am

Downtown wrote:It's nice to see Mathews have a great game after what he's gone through.

yep...36 points...10-17 from three point range. Plus 6 rebounds and 5 assists. Impressive numbers

Nic Batum & Will Barton are having impressive seasons so far as well
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Dec 7, 2015 5:05 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Downtown wrote:It's nice to see Mathews have a great game after what he's gone through.

yep...36 points...10-17 from three point range. Plus 6 rebounds and 5 assists. Impressive numbers

Nic Batum & Will Barton are having impressive seasons so far as well

Sugar-Ray Felton also put up a double-double today, with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Beast mode.

Maybe all along Portland misused him by giving him the PG position, isntead of starting him at Centre of PF?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,871

Post#51 » by Norm2953 » Mon Dec 7, 2015 6:13 am

I'll make no bones about for I miss the iron man in Portland. As is typical with guys coming back
from his injury, he's up and down but he's a guy who will give the team everything he has and
his locker room presence cannot be underestimated. I don't discount the rationale for letting
him go but we made no effort whatsoever to re-sign him which perhaps explains why last years
team went through the motions in their series with Memphis.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Dec 7, 2015 6:58 am

Whilst Oladipo is struggling at Orlando this season, it could be an opportune time to try and poach him from Orlando in a package centred around CJ. Or if not, go after him hard this offseason.

Payton is a good defender and I think a great fit alongside CJ, so maybe there could be some mutual interest.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Downtown » Mon Dec 7, 2015 2:29 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:Whilst Oladipo is struggling at Orlando this season, it could be an opportune time to try and poach him from Orlando in a package centred around CJ. Or if not, go after him hard this offseason.

Payton is a good defender and I think a great fit alongside CJ, so maybe there could be some mutual interest.

Evan Fournier is starting to come back down to earth and the guy they drafted this past draft is coming along slowly, like CJ did in his rookie season so I think Oladipo could see his minutes go up in Orlando and be more valuable to them.

But I would make a McCollum for Oladipo swap any day of the week. I've always put a premium on defence over offence so like you said having one backcourt defender with the other being the scorer works for me. But I'm sure a number of Blazers fans would say no way since CJ is playing so well. But I still see his long range value as a sixth man rather than a starter where I view Oladipo as a solid starter.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#54 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Dec 7, 2015 5:50 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3M6tXecEpM[/youtube]
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,865

Post#55 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Dec 7, 2015 6:41 pm

Downtown wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:Whilst Oladipo is struggling at Orlando this season, it could be an opportune time to try and poach him from Orlando in a package centred around CJ. Or if not, go after him hard this offseason.

Evan Fournier is starting to come back down to earth and the guy they drafted this past draft is coming along slowly, like CJ did in his rookie season so I think Oladipo could see his minutes go up in Orlando and be more valuable to them.

But I would make a McCollum for Oladipo swap any day of the week. I've always put a premium on defence over offence so like you said having one backcourt defender with the other being the scorer works for me. But I'm sure a number of Blazers fans would say no way since CJ is playing so well. But I still see his long range value as a sixth man rather than a starter where I view Oladipo as a solid starter.

I'd take Oladipo over CJ any day of the week, which isn't a knock on CJ. But Orlando isn't going to trade him, I doubt, since they've won 5 out of 6 since moving him to the bench. They would've won against the Clippers on Saturday but he got hurt late and they collapsed without him.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#56 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:06 am

Batum had a triple-double tonight against Miami...the 5th of his career
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#57 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:44 am

I remeber I wanted Bradley Beal really bad in that 2012 draft, at the time he was probably my favourite guy behind Drummond and I'll admit I didn't buy Lillard till his Kings workout.

I bring him up because McCollum is going step for step with him this year statistically, I can't say how happy I am with his progress this year.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#58 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:00 am

I read the other day teas are interested in Shabazz. I hope it is us, I think he is a lot better then the 17mpg he is getting, I know Minny want Giannis now that he is looking so good, but I don't think Bazz is that much worse than him IMO.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#59 » by Downtown » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:40 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:I read the other day teas are interested in Shabazz. I hope it is us, I think he is a lot better then the 17mpg he is getting, I know Minny want Giannis now that he is looking so good, but I don't think Bazz is that much worse than him IMO.

While I can't agree that he's not much worse than the Greek Freak I am intrigued by Shabazz. He's a player that has shown those flashes that make you wonder if he's on the verge of breaking out yet he disappears from time to time like Harkless. I'm always looking for that great sixth man and he could play that role although I'm not convinced him by himself equals the combo of Crabbe, Henderson, and Harkless that Stotts uses at both shooting guard and small forward.

But it's a definite possibility especially since he has another year on his rookie deal whereas the others could be moving on next summer in free agency. I also see the rumour of New Orleans having Ryan Anderson available. Like Henderson and Kaman he's an expiring contract but I think Anderson's value is higher and more suited to a contender. Portland doesn't need a rental player although he would fit Stotts style of play and might be a better fit than Leonard in the role of the tall power forward with a good 3 point shot.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#60 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:20 pm

I have kind of a gauge I use when considering on a statistical level possible additions to the Blazer roster. That gauge is Nick Young, a player I'd never want near the Blazer roster. Too much of a chucker and too much of a black hole

anyway, How does Shabazz Mohammed compare to Young?

on a per36 basis, Bazz averages 17.2 points on 13.6 FGA's. Young averages 16.9 points on 14.1 FGA's. So, at first glance, Bazz is slightly more efficient. However, 2nd glance shows that Young has a better PER and TS% because he's a much better 3 point shooter (40% vs 27%) and FT shooter (86% vs 77%). So, we're talking about two players with about the same overall scoring efficiency

per36, Bazz is a much better rebounder (5.6 vs 3.0) while Young is much better at steals (1.1 vs 0.2)

then, for me, comes the kicker: Bazz has a higher usage rate then Young (21.4% vs 19.6%); but per36, Young averages 1.2 assists vs Bazz at 0.7, while averaging 1.1 turnovers vs Bazz at 2.0

In other words, I know what kind of a black-hole Young is....a chucker who is poor at sharing the ball and assisting teammates, yet as bad as that is, Shabazz is arguably a less efficient scorer then Young while having a higher usage rate and averaging nearly half the assists and twice the turnovers

not impressive

I know they are two different players. Bazz gets to the line a lot more and takes more the 60% of his shots within 10' of the hoop. But I just don't think he's the type of player Portland should be looking at

Return to Portland Trail Blazers