ImageImage

What kind of contract are you expecting Jerami Grant to get?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,127

What kind of contract are you expecting Jerami Grant to get? 

Post#1 » by Effigy » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:08 pm

Everywhere I look I see 'Portland is expected to re-sign Jerami Grant' and this makes me nervous. He's a non-all star who in all likelyhood will never be an All-Star. With the new CBA you just can't pay those guys like all-stars. Just today, we saw Atlanta give away John Collins for a 2nd round pick. That was all the value he had. Collins had 3 years at basically $26 million per left on his deal. If that's a bad contract for him, what would a good contract for Grant look like? Do you guys want to give Grant $25 million per year when you're seeing how hard it is for Atlanta with Collins? Collins fell off pretty big this year, but prior to that, he had much better stats than Grant and is younger. I'm not opposed to keeping Grant, but man, I am really worried about the contract he is going to get.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Re: What kind of contract are you expecting Jerami Grant to get? 

Post#2 » by m0ng0 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:10 pm

A good one somewhere else :lol:
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#3 » by Pattycakes » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:15 pm

Effigy wrote:Everywhere I look I see 'Portland is expected to re-sign Jerami Grant' and this makes me nervous. He's a non-all star who in all likelyhood will never be an All-Star. With the new CBA you just can't pay those guys like all-stars. Just today, we saw Atlanta give away John Collins for a 2nd round pick. That was all the value he had. Collins had 3 years at basically $26 million per left on his deal. If that's a bad contract for him, what would a good contract for Grant look like? Do you guys want to give Grant $25 million per year when you're seeing how hard it is for Atlanta with Collins? Collins fell off pretty big this year, but prior to that, he had much better stats than Grant and is younger. I'm not opposed to keeping Grant, but man, I am really worried about the contract he is going to get.

I’m actually very supportive of keeping Jerami at a negotiable price point, my only problem is his ability to do less iso-ball and take on a more team focused playing style - aka hustle. That alone elevates him to being worth a good payday.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Effigy » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:20 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Effigy wrote:Everywhere I look I see 'Portland is expected to re-sign Jerami Grant' and this makes me nervous. He's a non-all star who in all likelyhood will never be an All-Star. With the new CBA you just can't pay those guys like all-stars. Just today, we saw Atlanta give away John Collins for a 2nd round pick. That was all the value he had. Collins had 3 years at basically $26 million per left on his deal. If that's a bad contract for him, what would a good contract for Grant look like? Do you guys want to give Grant $25 million per year when you're seeing how hard it is for Atlanta with Collins? Collins fell off pretty big this year, but prior to that, he had much better stats than Grant and is younger. I'm not opposed to keeping Grant, but man, I am really worried about the contract he is going to get.

I’m actually very supportive of keeping Jerami at a negotiable price point, my only problem is his ability to do less iso-ball and take on a more team focused playing style - aka hustle. That alone elevates him to being worth a good payday.

What is that price point? 4 years $100 million? 4 years $80 million? 3 years $60? What do you think we'll be able to sign him for and that he'll agree to?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,881

Post#5 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:21 pm

It'll be interesting to see the impact the new CBA has on contracts for guys like Grant

Teams like Sacramento with cap space might be the only team looking to add salary but let's
say Grant's agent asks for the $150 million/5 contract that I've seen bantered about. Does
Cronin tell Grant and his agent to pound sand?
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#6 » by Pattycakes » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:24 pm

Effigy wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

What is that price point? 4 years $100 million? 4 years $80 million? 3 years $60? What do you think we'll be able to sign him for and that he'll agree to?

3 years, 70 m feels right - given he is 100% healthy and 100% committed to the blazers future. I actually love Jerami, I just felt like he was a bad fit last year on a mostly bad team overall.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Effigy » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:30 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Effigy wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

3 years, 70 m feels right - given he is 100% healthy and 100% committed to the blazers future. I actually love Jerami, I just felt like he was a bad fit last year on a mostly bad team overall.

That's only $8 million less than what Collins had on his deal. And Atlanta couldn't get anything for him. I think even that is too much for Grant, but I don't know what we're going to realistically be able to sign him for. I hope we are aggressive on this and push back like NFL teams have started doing with running backs. Let's stop paying these non stars star money.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,177

Post#8 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:31 pm

If Lillard stays then we kind of have to resign Grant. If we trade Lillard then Grant probably doesn't give us much consideration. I wonder what the conversations between them look like right now.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,209

Post#9 » by BNM » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:36 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:If Lillard stays then we kind of have to resign Grant. If we trade Lillard then Grant probably doesn't give us much consideration. I wonder what the conversations between them look like right now.

Yep, if Dame is moved, it makes zero sense to resign Grant. If we're moving on from the Lillard era, we need to go 100% on the rebuild. No more half measures!!!
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#10 » by red_power » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:37 pm

The grossly overpriced contract that's for sure. Let's just hope he won't turn into a Nurk-level liability with his future deal.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#11 » by mighty_duck » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:47 pm

Because of Grant, we have to figure out the Dame situation before the the start of free agency.
1. If we want to keep Dame - Grant has some leverage in that we can't replace him. I can see a 4 year/100m deal happening. That said, there are not a lot of teams with cap space, and Jeremi isn't at the very top of the free agents list.
2. If we are moving Dame, then we only sign Grant if we get a very tradeable contract out of it. 3 years/ 55m. Given the landscape, I don't think he'll get a better deal with another team.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,785

Post#12 » by Case2012 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:46 pm

I don’t like grant. He’s not a real PF, and i would prefer to get someone that actually rebounds and passes over him. People have been crapping on my Randle suggestions for a few years but he made an all nba team last season after a down year.

I would be interested in seeing what kind of sign and trade options might be out there. I would be willing to include picks if we had any…
Instagram: @casetwelve
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#13 » by Sinobas » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:27 pm

I'd pay more to keep him if we keep Dame, but if we trade Dame and are going full rebuild, not sure what the point is of giving him a big contract?
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#14 » by zzaj » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:58 pm

Grant rejected 4 years at 28M/per, IIRC. I don't see any reason he would want to sign for anything less than that now.

Grant is obviously not worth even as much as he rejected. If he doubled his rebound rate he would be, but that's not changing any time soon.
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 76

Post#15 » by Napoleon7 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:11 pm

I think he’d want and get at least the amount he turned down already, 4/112.

But whether Dame resigns or doesn’t should play into the teams willingness to pay Grant.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#16 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:38 pm

m0ng0 wrote:A good one somewhere else :lol:

:D
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#17 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:43 pm

The new CBA seems designed to keep these non elite players like Grant and OG (Toronto)
from getting paid $30+ million/season.

I've seen the quote of $150 million/5 contract being talked about. No team should paying that
for Grant but I might prefer offering him a bit more person for less years
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:02 am

He’s gonna be 30+ml per year
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#19 » by Jsun947 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 am

He’s in his prime, shooting 40% from three, plays defense, is an excellent culture guy, doesn’t have some type of terrible injury history, and wings are the most valuable position in the nba.

Ya’ll need a reality check. He’s going to get a minimum of 120/4

Oh and did I mention the cap is going to be rising consistently with the new TV deal?
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#20 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:01 am

I'm expecting a 4-year contract, starting at $30M with whatever increases are possible.

Yuck!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers