ImageImage

Would you rather have Simons or Hero at shooting guard?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Who would you rather be the Blazers' starting shooting guard?

Anfernee Simons
38%
Tyler Hero
62%

Total votes: 47

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,130

Would you rather have Simons or Hero at shooting guard? 

Post#1 » by Effigy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:57 pm

I'm a little astounded that our team seems so dead-set against Tyler Hero and want to route him to another team for what, ONE draft pick? It feels like his value is at an all time low. THIS is when we should be trying to bring him in, IMO! The biggest reason I see that we don't want him is 'well we already have Scoot, Simons and Sharpe. Well Scoot's our point guard of the future. Sharpe right NOW has played SG but it's not unreasonable to think he could be our small forward of the future after he adds some weight. (Remember, KD started out as a SG too until he got a little bulked up, and yes I realize that KD is taller than Shaedon) So if Sharpe is our SF of the future, that means that Simons is our Shooting guard. Do we REALLY want to commit to a 6'3' back court again? Did we learn nothing from the Dame and CJ pairing?

I've seen it said that Hero and Simons have basically the same stats, so why not keep Simons who is $5 million cheaper. They don't have the same stats. Maybe on offense, but Hero gets 3 rebounds more per game than Simons, and has a better defensive rating, and he's 6'5" which is a better height for a shooting guard.

I've also heard that Hero is on a bad contract. No he isn't. Look at the contracts GMs are handing out this off season. Look at what we just gave Grant! Hero is a bargain compared to some of these!

What I would like us to do is keep Hero for ourselves, and try to get Jaime Jazquez, Jovik, the 2027 and 2029 firsts and maybe 28 and 30 pick swaps if we can. I'd love that as a Dame Haul, personally. I hate the idea of letting Miami trade Hero for a 2025 so they can give us their 2024 and 2026. Who cares about 2024? That pick with Dame on the team is going to be terrible. 2026 should be better but still not all that great. 2027 and beyond are the picks you want from Miami, IMO. And at the same time trade Simons for whatever we can get for him. Maybe future picks, maybe bigs, whatever we can.

Now if you're in the 'Shaedon is our starting shooting guard' camp, well I guess that's fine, but then either way Simons needs to go, because I don't trust us to bring him off the bench. I think we'll just play all 3 together because they're our best offensive players.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Re: Would you rather have Simons or Hero at shooting guard? 

Post#2 » by DC_Melo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:09 pm

Give me Simons and his 3/77 over Herro and his 4/120.

I’m in the Camp that Sharpe is our guy at SG, and think Simons could be an excellent 6th man asset, where he can focus on providing instant offense and his defensive gaps may not get as exposed. Although I do share your concern about us rolling Scoot, Simons, Sharpe 1-3, my hope is that is a temporary solution until a young wing prospect steps up at SF… If we get Jaquez I got my eyes on him…

Comparing the two players, they have similarities in their play styles although Herro is likely a better playmaker and rebounder, and Simons the more natural pure scorer. Size is fairly negligible since what Herro gains in height he loses in length. Both are negative defenders, and iirc, Herro is somehow worse than Simons on that end.

Herro may be getting a bit undervalued right now, but he’s an undersized (under-lengthed?) one way scoring guard with little promise for improving defensively on a 20% cap salary… what can his peak value really get to? Being thrown into a rotation with 3 other guards needing minutes will take away from our young trio and inevitably deflate Herro’s stats and value. I don’t see how he has much value to the Blazers, either as a player or future trade asset.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#3 » by red_power » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:40 pm

I would prefer a guy named Shaedon Sharpe to run the show at SG position all the time.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,010

Post#4 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:45 pm

Neither - Sharpe is the SGOTF.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,644

Post#5 » by JRoy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:24 pm

Sharpe.

Simons and Herro are lesser players.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:34 pm

Dumbest thread ever, and I've been on this board for quite some time. Like even the assfault thread was either intentionally or unintentionally humorous. Moonbeam: Don't do this. You can make a point without disparaging the poster.

Start Shaedon Sharpe.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:39 pm

I'd keep Simons who can fill in at PG when necessary. Sharpe is going to be the SG
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#8 » by m0ng0 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:40 pm

What happens if we have an injury? You want 3 studs, who starts, who doesn't who cares? We got 3 solid guys who can take over on any given night.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Post#9 » by JasonStern » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:25 pm

If the Blazers trade Dame to Miami, the only way Herro isn't routed to a third team for a likely disappointing return is if they think he can play small forward. Where he would be undersized and bullied by opposing teams. Which sounds totally like something the Blazers would do.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#10 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:09 pm

Part of the hope in demanding that Herro be traded to a third team is that it will allow Miami to trade 4 firsts and multiple pick swaps to Portland in a Dame trade whereas right now Miami can only offer two firsts.
Furthermore if Portland took Herro as part of the trade Portland would suddenly have an overfull backcourt and would still need to trade one of them. Other teams knowing that Portland would need to trade one of them would make lowball offers. Simons for instance would probably only bring back one mid first ( basically what you think Herro would bring as part of a 3 team Dame trade) and trading Simons to keep Herro is $5 million more per season for essentially the same production.
So why not demand Miami find a third team to send Herro to get more picks?
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#11 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:11 pm

JRoy wrote:Sharpe.

Simons and Herro are lesser players.

Ultimately the debate is between Simons and Herro as the third guard. I would prefer Simons whose production is virtually identical to Herro's but is paid $5 million less per season.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 864

Post#12 » by tester551 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:32 pm

DC_Melo wrote:Give me Simons and his 3/77 over Herro and his 4/120.

As most have said, the correct answer is Sharpe at SG.

Having said that, Herro is a better player than Simons. I'd rather have Herro and his 4/120 over Ant.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,086

Post#13 » by mg » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:35 pm

The debate should be who would they rather have as 6th man? In this case the contract for Simons is more preferable for that role.

Herro can obviously start for other teams but not in Portland with Sharpe on the roster.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#14 » by DC_Melo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:48 pm

tester551 wrote:

Having said that, Herro is a better player than Simons. I'd rather have Herro and his 4/120 over Ant.

Agreed on Sharpe. Just curious tho, why Herro? They have similar play styles, size, weaknesses, and stat lines… What makes him $43 million more valuable than Simons?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,010

Post#15 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:06 pm

I dont think Herro is 43M more valuable than Simons - but I do think he is the better player and trust his competitiveness over Simons.

I just dont see any 'dog' in Ant. I wouldnt trust him to overcome any sort of playoff adversity / intensity. That may not be fair, but its my take.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#16 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:14 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I dont think Herro is 43M more valuable than Simons - but I do think he is the better player and trust his competitiveness over Simons.

I just dont see any 'dog' in Ant. I wouldnt trust him to overcome any sort of playoff adversity / intensity. That may not be fair, but its my take.

Herro playoff percentages 41% fg% 32% 3ptfg%. Herro hasn't been a great playoff performer. Simons hasn't really had a chance to show what he can do in the playoffs but I do recall him hitting a few game winning 3's this last season ( Phoenix early on and iirc New York though that may have been Hart)
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 864

Post#17 » by tester551 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:49 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
tester551 wrote:

Agreed on Sharpe. Just curious tho, why Herro? They have similar play styles, size, weaknesses, and stat lines… What makes him $43 million more valuable than Simons?

$43M is the wrong way to look at it since the contract lengths are different.

Ant averages $25.9M/year. Herro gets $30.0M/year. So the question is "Is Herro worth $4M/yr (or 15%) more than Ant"?

Offensively they are about equal, but I think Herro is the better distributor.
Both are poor defensively, but Herro is at least passible. In looking at NET numbers for the last 2 years, Ant has:

OBPM: 1.9 1.3
DBPM: -2.7 -2.5
BPM: -0.7 -1.1
VORP: 0.5 0.5
ORTG-DRTG: -9 -10

So clearly Simons has been a net negative while on the court. What ever points he gets you on offense, he gives back (plus some) on defense.

Looking at Herro, he has:
OBPM: 1.6 1.5
DBPM: -0.9 -0.8
BPM: +0.7 +0.6
VORP: 1.5 1.6
ORTG-DRTG: -4 -6

Some metrics can show Herro being a net negative while others show a net positive. I consider him at least neutral.

BlazersBroncos wrote:I dont think Herro is 43M more valuable than Simons - but I do think he is the better player and trust his competitiveness over Simons.

Completely agree with this. He's worth the extra $4M/year (15%) more than Ant.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#18 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:56 am

Herro is the better player; may even have more PG skills than Simons. And has better size. Much better rebounder and the Blazers need rebounding

but the reality is, if the Blazers had good management, neither would be on the roster at the beginning of the season
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#19 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:02 am

by the way, if Ant is on the team next season, he'll start. Either Scoot or Shape will sit, unless the Blazers get even more stupid and start Sharpe at SF
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#20 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:13 am

Wizenheimer wrote:by the way, if Ant is on the team next season, he'll start. Either Scoot or Shape will sit, unless the Blazers get even more stupid and start Sharpe at SF

Scoot is not sitting unless he's hurt

Return to Portland Trail Blazers