Dame traded to the Bucks!

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,084

Re: Dame traded to the Bucks! 

Post#401 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:02 am

I need a SF on this roster before I get excited.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#402 » by PDXKnight » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:05 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I need a SF on this roster before I get excited.

Maybe the pels can gift wrap us Ingram once Noel fails expectations again
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 136

Post#403 » by ebott » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:20 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I need a SF on this roster before I get excited.

Even then the excitement I'm feeling is more of the "this will be fun" type rather than the "we will win games" type. Our long term solution at small forward is likely someone we'll draft in the future.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#404 » by Norm2953 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:41 pm

Portland has needed a SF ever since trading Batum in 2015.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#405 » by zzaj » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:17 pm

I kinda disagree with a lot of this about SFs...

1) Batum wasn't actually all that great. He was a decent two way player. I feel like there is some rose-colored glasses going on there...
2) Both Aminu and Harkless were capable SFs, the roster fit was just wonky at times and of course there were motor questions with Mo.

The bigger issue IMHO is that the Blazers have never had an ELITE SF. The dynamic, 2-way triple threat SF that the whole league covets. Kawhi, basically.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#406 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:14 am

zzaj wrote:I kinda disagree with a lot of this about SFs...

1) Batum wasn't actually all that great. He was a decent two way player. I feel like there is some rose-colored glasses going on there...
2) Both Aminu and Harkless were capable SFs, the roster fit was just wonky at times and of course there were motor questions with Mo.

The bigger issue IMHO is that the Blazers have never had an ELITE SF. The dynamic, 2-way triple threat SF that the whole league covets. Kawhi, basically.

The Blazers have been utilizing undersized SG's at SF. That is a problem. Batum was good, not great, but that was okay with Lillard and Aldridge. He was good defensively, and a good passer who could hit a shot here and there. An elite SF would be awesome, but I would take another Batum in a heartbeat.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#407 » by zzaj » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:54 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
zzaj wrote:I kinda disagree with a lot of this about SFs...

The Blazers have been utilizing undersized SG's at SF. That is a problem. Batum was good, not great, but that was okay with Lillard and Aldridge. He was good defensively, and a good passer who could hit a shot here and there. An elite SF would be awesome, but I would take another Batum in a heartbeat.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong...part of what DID make Batum great was his USG fit in those rosters. And that's kinda my point with what the Blazers are staring at right now. They sorta need a "Batum"--with Scoot, Ant, Sharpe, Ayton, Grant--all high USG players that need the ball in their hands to be effective.

A lot of people are asking for the SFoTF (me included) but that would almost certainly require the USG of one of those players mentioned above to be out of the picture to even begin to work...maybe even two.

Luckily, the Blazers are still in discovery mode...and in the discovery portion of discovery mode. None of us has any real idea what this team is going to look like next season.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#408 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:12 pm

A Batum caliber guy would easily be worth a pick in the 5-8 range of nearly any draft. I would love to find a player of his caliber in 2024.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#409 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:25 pm

Nobody has ever said Nic was an elite SF for either Portland/Charlotte.

I don't know if we need a Jayson Tatum level player but I'd love to see another Jerome Kersey,
who had a similar career to Nic, but a solid athlete that can play more in the open court.

One would think the next generation Blazers would resemble in some respects, the 80's
Drexler teams, but it will be some time before Scoot/Sharpe play like Terry/Clyde.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#410 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:29 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Nobody has ever said Nic was an elite SF for either Portland/Charlotte.

I don't know if we need a Jayson Tatum level player but I'd love to see another Jerome Kersey,
who had a similar career to Nic, but a solid athlete that can play more in the open court.

One would think the next generation Blazers would resemble in some respects, the 80's
Drexler teams, but it will be some time before Scoot/Sharpe play like Terry/Clyde.

I think to be a contender long term we need a Tatum. A true #1 option on the wings.

Historically you dont win rings w/ a PG as the top dog - unless he is the greatest shooter in history.

I love Scoot and Sharpe - but I have a hard time seeing a team win big with their best players on the wings at 6'6 and under. Trends are bucked all the time but historically leaning on a guard duo to win you rings doesnt work out well.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#411 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:02 pm

What do you make of Terry Stotts resigning as Assistant Coach of the Milwaukee Bucks? Did he and/or Lillard have any issues with one another? I thought they got along or maybe I just never heard of any issues they might have had with one another. Very odd. I thought that would be a good reconciliation.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#412 » by GEE » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:16 pm

:o Weird. Did I read correctly in that Stotts just joined the Bucks coaching staff this' off-season? Can't wait for the comments from both Dame and Terry on this, cause you know they're comin'. Will be interesting to see how long it is before he land another good job.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#413 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:50 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I think to be a contender long term we need a Tatum. A true #1 option on the wings.

Historically you dont win rings w/ a PG as the top dog - unless he is the greatest shooter in history.

I love Scoot and Sharpe - but I have a hard time seeing a team win big with their best players on the wings at 6'6 and under. Trends are bucked all the time but historically leaning on a guard duo to win you rings doesnt work out well.

exactly

actual contenders have power and talent in the front-court. They need two-way players on the wings. They can't have their talent all loaded up in under 6'5 guys....which is the foolish, failure of a template Olshey apparently believed in and seems to be the template Cronin is following

* Denver just won it all last season. They do have 6'3 Murray, but their best player and team leader is a 7' unicorn C. And their starting forwards were 6'10 & 6'8
* Golden State has won 4 championships with a 6'3 guard. But he happens to be the greatest shooter in NBA history and his primary core teammates have been 6'10 Durant, 6'8 Draymond, and 6'7 Klay
* Milwaukee won one with 6'11 Giannis leading the way supported by 6'8 Middleton, 7'1 Lopez, and 6'4 Jrue
* Lakers won wiith 6'8 Lebron and 6'11 AD leading the way
* Toronto won one with 6'7 Kawhi and 6'8 Siakam.
* Cleveland had 6'8 Lebron, with 6'2 Kyrie, but 6'9 Love and 6'9 Thompson
* the Last Spurs championship was won with 6'7 Kawhi and 6'11 Duncan. And it was Duncan who led them to their other titles along with 7' Robinson, 6'8 Elliott, 6'6 Manu, and 6'2 Parker
* Miami won two in a row with 6'8 Lebron, 6'4 DWade, and 6'10 Bosh
* Dallas won with 7' Dirk having an MVP year
* Boston won with 7' KG and 6'7 Pierce
* Lakers won with 6'7 Kobe and 7' Gasol. And earlier with 7'1 Shaq and 6'7 Kobe

clearly, if teams overload on positional talent it's in the front-court and with 6'7 and above players

meanwhile, Portland has 6'3 Scoot, 6'3 Ant, and 6'5 Sharpe. And they plan on featuring 6'3 Ant as option #1. This is not a template for successful basketball, but the Blazers are likely still playing for lottery balls anyway
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,307

Post#414 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:58 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:What do you make of Terry Stotts resigning as Assistant Coach of the Milwaukee Bucks? Did he and/or Lillard have any issues with one another? I thought they got along or maybe I just never heard of any issues they might have had with one another. Very odd. I thought that would be a good reconciliation.

GEE wrote::o Weird. Did I read correctly in that Stotts just joined the Bucks coaching staff this' off-season? Can't wait for the comments from both Dame and Terry on this, cause you know they're comin'. Will be interesting to see how long it is before he land another good job.

Makes sense that Stotts would have joined the Bucks staff this off season since they have a new HC now.

So it has to be something Dame expressed, unless Stotts felt uncomfortable for some reason and decided to resign on his own.

Stotts hasn't gotten any nibbles for any HC job. So this would have been his first coaching job after Portland?

I've seen him on NBA TV and I would imagine he could make a lot more as an assistant, especially the "assistant HC" that some teams have, who usually manages games if the regular HC is out for some reason.

So maybe this isn't a "mutual" parting of the ways nor was it when he departed Portland.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,018

Post#415 » by DusterBuster » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:53 pm

wco81 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:What do you make of Terry Stotts resigning as Assistant Coach of the Milwaukee Bucks? Did he and/or Lillard have any issues with one another? I thought they got along or maybe I just never heard of any issues they might have had with one another. Very odd. I thought that would be a good reconciliation.

GEE wrote::o Weird. Did I read correctly in that Stotts just joined the Bucks coaching staff this' off-season? Can't wait for the comments from both Dame and Terry on this, cause you know they're comin'. Will be interesting to see how long it is before he land another good job.

Makes sense that Stotts would have joined the Bucks staff this off season since they have a new HC now.

So it has to be something Dame expressed, unless Stotts felt uncomfortable for some reason and decided to resign on his own.

Stotts hasn't gotten any nibbles for any HC job. So this would have been his first coaching job after Portland?

I've seen him on NBA TV and I would imagine he could make a lot more as an assistant, especially the "assistant HC" that some teams have, who usually manages games if the regular HC is out for some reason.

So maybe this isn't a "mutual" parting of the ways nor was it when he departed Portland.

I wonder if it was also Stotts looking out for Griffin as a rookie head coach. If the Bucks have a rocky start and the Dame/Giannis thing isn't working right out of the gates or they hit a long skid of games, the national media is going to start talking about if they should fire Griffin and promote Stotts real fast. Terry doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would want to do that to a rookie coach or be a distraction.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,865

Post#416 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:03 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
wco81 wrote:

I wonder if it was also Stotts looking out for Griffin as a rookie head coach. If the Bucks have a rocky start and the Dame/Giannis thing isn't working right out of the gates or they hit a long skid of games, the national media is going to start talking about if they should fire Griffin and promote Stotts real fast. Terry doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would want to do that to a rookie coach or be a distraction.

I believe a local paper in Milwaukee reported it's because of there not being a mesh between Griffin and Stotts.

Also, anyone who is speculating this is related to DAme having a say is just silly. Dame loves Stotts.
wco81
RealGM

Post#417 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:17 pm

If Griffin had a problem with Stotts, why would the Bucks hire him over the summer and then Stotts supposedly resigns less than a week before the start of the season?

That makes it seem like there was some kind of issue and they tried to work it out but then decided they can't so they're bailing just before the season starts.

The main difference between when Stotts was hired and when he resigned is the Dame trade.

If it was another guy who's never been involved with Lillard before, we wouldn't even notice that an assistant hired over the summer is leaving just before the start of the season.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,865

Post#418 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:22 pm

wco81 wrote:If Griffin had a problem with Stotts, why would the Bucks hire him over the summer and then Stotts supposedly resigns less than a week before the start of the season?

That makes it seem like there was some kind of issue and they tried to work it out but then decided they can't so they're bailing just before the season starts.

The main difference between when Stotts was hired and when he resigned is the Dame trade.

If it was another guy who's never been involved with Lillard before, we wouldn't even notice that an assistant hired over the summer is leaving just before the start of the season.

Because differences in style show up with experience working with each other? Do you anticipate people are clairvoyant, able to see the future and know for certain which road will end up taken?

They certainly could've had issues in the offense pre-Dame and post-Dame, but it's quite frankly a rather ridiculous take to suggest Dame would've been the cause or leading some type of charge/request to see Terry Stotts out. He loves Terry Stotts.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#419 » by Norm2953 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:43 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Nobody has ever said Nic was an elite SF for either Portland/Charlotte.

Those elite front court players like Tatum don't grow on trees.

One supposes, if Portland tanked for the next two seasons, they would be in position to draft one in the
next two drafts but it appears the strength of the 2024 draft might be the depth of bigs (Sarr/Buzelis)
especially if Holland can't shoot.

Unknown if Portland will still be a top 5 lottery team with improvement from Scoot/Sharpe to be in position
to draft Flagg. I'd be happy if we could draft an athletic 6-8 player and we would have been fine in the short
term if we had drafted Miller or Amen Thompson in the 2023 draft.
wco81
RealGM

Post#420 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:06 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
wco81 wrote:If Griffin had a problem with Stotts, why would the Bucks hire him over the summer and then Stotts supposedly resigns less than a week before the start of the season?

Because differences in style show up with experience working with each other? Do you anticipate people are clairvoyant, able to see the future and know for certain which road will end up taken?

They certainly could've had issues in the offense pre-Dame and post-Dame, but it's quite frankly a rather ridiculous take to suggest Dame would've been the cause or leading some type of charge/request to see Terry Stotts out. He loves Terry Stotts.

I'm saying it could be related to Lillard joining the Bucks, not that it is for certain. It's kind of a big change in the makeup of the team, maybe also affects chemistry in the locker room.

Obviously nobody outside the Bucks knows either way right now.

If he doesn't get another coaching job for awhile, or maybe ever in the NBA, it would be kind of a big deal in Stott's career, which may end up with him being a broadcaster, which has happened to other coaches.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers