ImageImage

DeAndre Ayton And Toumani Camara In The House WOOOO!

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

NWGunner
Sophomore
And1: 141

DeAndre Ayton And Toumani Camara In The House WOOOO! 

Post#1 » by NWGunner » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Re: DeAndre Ayton And Toumani Camara In The House WOOOO! 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:21 pm

This will be an interesting experiment. Ayton had some ludicrously lazy plays in Phoenix, but he also really had a grudge against the Suns after the FO refused to pay him and made him get his money as a RFA, so he was purposefully dogging it imo.

Now we get to see if that changes with a team where he doesn’t have animosity towards. It worked with Nurkic after coming over from Denver (until injury), so it’s a total worthwhile swing for a 25yo #1 pick who has proven he’s not a bust.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,183

Post#3 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:49 pm

I really like the dynamic of Scoot coming here and instead of "we need you to go out and score a ton of points" the focus is going to be "we need you to set up this former #1 pick big man and make him look good".

In which case, I think there could be really good chemistry from a Scoot/Ayton combo.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#4 » by DusterBuster » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:49 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I really like the dynamic of Scoot coming here and instead of "we need you to go out and score a ton of points" the focus is going to be "we need you to set up this former #1 pick big man and make him look good".

In which case, I think there could be really good chemistry from a Scoot/Ayton combo.

Yeah, unless Scoot is so amazing they can’t help but have him be a scoring threat, he can legit spend his whole first season just being a playmaker. If everyone stays healthy, between Simons, Sharpe, Grant and Ayton, he has a lot of options to set up for assists.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,407

Post#5 » by SpreeS » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:13 am

He looks happy
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#6 » by Pattycakes » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:32 pm

SpreeS wrote:He looks happy

Truly does, and I can’t wait for EVERYONE to eat crow.

To the 3% that realized early this was a underrated move, congrats.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#7 » by PDXKnight » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:32 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I really like the dynamic of Scoot coming here and instead of "we need you to go out and score a ton of points" the focus is going to be "we need you to set up this former #1 pick big man and make him look good".

I envision ayton playing 3rd fiddle to Scoot and Sharpe in the long run in a best case scenario. Can't see him being a 24 ppg guy but he will definitely have a shot to be a key component if he works on some of his weaknesses
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#8 » by Pattycakes » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:40 pm

Nba “blazers gonna suck forever now”

Blazers - we likely have a top 10 pg, pf (jerami) and center next year and an elite 6th man in either Ant or Shaedon plus hungry young guys.

Blazers fans - 50% get it, 50% bandwagoners at heart that love to bash Cronin every 2 secs/don’t realize they are bandwagoners that refuse the breakup.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#9 » by DC_Melo » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:44 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
SpreeS wrote:He looks happy

Truly does, and I can’t wait for EVERYONE to eat crow.

To the 3% that realized early this was a underrated move, congrats.

He looks beyond happy. I attend somewhere around 15-20 suns games a year, and he really had a shift in body language and effort. It was always pretty inconsistent, but it really seemed like he was unhappy on the court this past season.

It’s definitely a dice roll… he could turn malcontent with us as well. But I think it’s encouraging to see him so happy, and hope he can deliver on his full potential with us. People sleep on how good he is when he’s motivated and focused.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by DC_Melo » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:52 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

Yeah, unless Scoot is so amazing they can’t help but have him be a scoring threat, he can legit spend his whole first season just being a playmaker. If everyone stays healthy, between Simons, Sharpe, Grant and Ayton, he has a lot of options to set up for assists.

This would make a lot of sense. It allows Scoot to play to his strengths and covers his biggest weakness while he works on developing his perimeter shooting.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,562

Post#11 » by zzaj » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:02 pm

Everyone is motivated differently.

Some have an inner-fuel that helps propel them along. Some get that fuel externally.
In the culture of sports, the former gets glamorized…

Ayton registers like someone who is motivated externally, and as such needs the right environment to reach his potential. My hope is that Chauncey knows that and can create that in Portland.

Obviously CP3 and Monty yell-telling him “you ain’t doing $#:+” unless he just rim runs and block shots, wasn’t it.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#12 » by DusterBuster » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:42 pm

zzaj wrote:Everyone is motivated differently.

Some have an inner-fuel that helps propel them along. Some get that fuel externally.

Ayton registers like someone who is motivated externally, and as such needs the right environment to reach his potential. My hope is that Chauncey knows that and can create that in Portland.

Obviously CP3 and Monty yell-telling him “you ain’t doing $#:+” unless he just rim runs and block shots, wasn’t it.

That last sentence I think is it too. CP3 has a looooooooooonnnggggggg history of wearing on teammates. Each persons personality will react to that differently, Ayton’s may have just been to stop caring - especially getting that treatment as a young kid still learning the game.

I think Scoot has the kind of personality too that Ayton will gel with. Scoot‘s leadership strengths are that he really puts others ahead of himself. If they really make Ant and Ayton the A1 and A2 offensive options, I have a decent amount of hope it’ll really lead to him having a 20/10 type of season.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by DC_Melo » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:58 pm

Very true and excellent observation. Ayton doesn’t appear like an intrinsically motivated person, but that doesn’t mean he can’t get or be motivated.

We just gotta figure out his buttons and what makes him tick.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,649

Post#14 » by JRoy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:19 pm

DusterBuster wrote:This will be an interesting experiment. Ayton had some ludicrously lazy plays in Phoenix, but he also really had a grudge against the Suns after the FO refused to pay him and made him get his money as a RFA, so he was purposefully dogging it imo.

Now we get to see if that changes with a team where he doesn’t have animosity towards. It worked with Nurkic after coming over from Denver (until injury), so it’s a total worthwhile swing for a 25yo #1 pick who has proven he’s not a bust.

It will be interesting to see how he plays against PHX in the first matchup this year.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,562

Post#15 » by zzaj » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:27 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

That last sentence I think is it too. CP3 has a looooooooooonnnggggggg history of wearing on teammates. Each persons personality will react to that differently, Ayton’s may have just been to stop caring - especially getting that treatment as a young kid still learning the game.

I think Scoot has the kind of personality too that Ayton will gel with. Scoot‘s leadership strengths are that he really puts others ahead of himself. If they really make Ant and Ayton the A1 and A2 offensive options, I have a decent amount of hope it’ll really lead to him having a 20/10 type of season.

By “him” do you mean Ayton? If so, he’s already an 18/10 player…I would imagine an expanded role could get him 2PPG.
I suspect Grant is going to go back to Detroit style play and will suck up a lot of USG, sadly …although perhaps that is good if the Blazers intend to trade him at the deadline.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#16 » by DusterBuster » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:05 pm

zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

By “him” do you mean Ayton? If so, he’s already an 18/10 player…I would imagine an expanded role could get him 2PPG.
I suspect Grant is going to go back to Detroit style play and will suck up a lot of USG, sadly …although perhaps that is good if the Blazers intend to trade him at the deadline.

I guess when I mean 20/10, like 23 maybe 24 a game.

You’re right tho, a lot will depend on the usage of Grant and Ant.

The FO and coaching staff may be pretty motivated to get him to show out tho seeing as he’s the bright shiny new toy they got in return for Lillard. They’ll want him to have a strong year and I could see Billups trying to make him the second option behind Ant or first option depending on matchups, then Grant being the 3rd option.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#17 » by m0ng0 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:52 pm

I think we gotta figure out DA's DNA, Sharpe and Simons can work off of him. The key is is getting DA engaged in the offense.
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pattycakes » Sun Oct 1, 2023 3:56 am

zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Jerami is still young enough to fit perfect with this squad. People need to stop being so antsy to dump him for potato chips, it may be a blessing Dame brought him here for us.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#19 » by garrick » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:14 am

DusterBuster wrote:This will be an interesting experiment. Ayton had some ludicrously lazy plays in Phoenix, but he also really had a grudge against the Suns after the FO refused to pay him and made him get his money as a RFA, so he was purposefully dogging it imo.

Also the Suns made no secret they were entertaining trade requests for him from 2022 which was a constant source of distraction I'm sure.

At the very least Ayton is good for 20 and 10 on the season so he's going to be a huge upgrade for you guys compared to Nurkic.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#20 » by GEE » Sun Oct 1, 2023 5:16 am

I think Ayton is gonna really like his new home here in Portland. Remember L&G, he's from the Bahamas, went to U of Arizona, and got drafted by the Phoenix Suns. Welcome to the great Northwest Big Fella.

But nobody here has even mentioned Toumani Camara, and I think he may become a very interesting player, once we finally get a chance to see what he can do. Considering the hiring of the Super-Agent by Cronin, I wouldn't be surprised if this kid ends up being quite good. From the limited video I saw, he appears to have many tools in his belt that allow him to be effective both inside the paint, and out on the perimeter. Looks to have some hops too. We'll soon see.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers