ImageImage

Where’s Malcolm Go?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Re: Where’s Malcolm Go? 

Post#21 » by Sinobas » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:46 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:Would Brogdon for Lonzo's contract and our first rounder back be a fair deal on both sides?

Two firsts would be the starting point. Brogdon will fetch at least a 1st round pick, we'd need another to take on Lonzo's dead weight.

Or you could trade a couple of usable players like Pat Williams and Caruso.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#22 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:30 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
I care for the sake of not losing the 2028 swap right with the bucks

How would that work? Would they get the swap decision? I’m not up on those CBA rules.

The agreement was made based upon portlands pick so if portlands pick lands outside of the lotto Between now and 2028 Chicago gains the earliest 1st that occurs per the agreement made via olshey in the Nance Jr trade. After 2028 it becomes a 2nd rounder. We can't substitute this pick with another it has to be portland's according to the cba as that is what was agreed upon.

The Blazers own swap rights with the bucks in 2028 but that obligation to Chicago would have to be extinguished first in order for that swap right to occur with the bucks in 2028.
Good point.

Now my priority is getting those pick rights with Chicago exhausted. If for whatever reason Giannis left closer to 2028, Chicago would be able to absolutely scrouge us for rescinding those draft rights if the Bucks pick could be a top lottery pick.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#23 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:54 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
How would that work? Would they get the swap decision? I’m not up on those CBA rules.

The agreement was made based upon portlands pick so if portlands pick lands outside of the lotto Between now and 2028 Chicago gains the earliest 1st that occurs per the agreement made via olshey in the Nance Jr trade. After 2028 it becomes a 2nd rounder. We can't substitute this pick with another it has to be portland's according to the cba as that is what was agreed upon.

The Blazers own swap rights with the bucks in 2028 but that obligation to Chicago would have to be extinguished first in order for that swap right to occur with the bucks in 2028.
Good point.

Now my priority is getting those pick rights with Chicago exhausted. If for whatever reason Giannis left closer to 2028, Chicago would be able to absolutely scrouge us for rescinding those draft rights if the Bucks pick could be a top lottery pick.

Maybe yes and maybe no, depending on how everyone looks by that point. But yeah on paper it'd make sense to find a way out of those protections provided it doesn't cost us a high lotto pick to get done. Ie if the gs pick is 20 I'd imagine Chicago takes that over a mere "chance" at a slightly higher future pick
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,026

Post#24 » by DusterBuster » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:26 am

Marang on his livestream broadcast started it chatting about what to do with Brogdon. He said teams are interested in him, the team will look to move him, but it will be “eventually”. Basically saying the team has done a ton of work on transactions already and needs to start having focus on camp. When Brogdon gets moved, it may be during season, so odds on that he suits up and plays some games in Portland.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#25 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:31 am

DusterBuster wrote:Marang on his livestream broadcast started it chatting about what to do with Brogdon. He said teams are interested in him, the team will look to move him, but it will be “eventually”. Basically saying the team has done a ton of work on transactions already and needs to start having focus on camp. When Brogdon gets moved, it may be during season, so odds on that he suits up and plays some games in Portland.

Brogdon wouldn't be a bad piece to keep for 2 years unless teams are chomping for him
ORLoyalist
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#26 » by ORLoyalist » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:55 am

Sinobas wrote:
kdawg32086 wrote:Would Brogdon for Lonzo's contract and our first rounder back be a fair deal on both sides?

Two firsts would be the starting point. Brogdon will fetch at least a 1st round pick, we'd need another to take on Lonzo's dead weight.

Unfortunately, don't see Pat Williams happening for us. IIRC Brogdon can't be aggregated with other Portland contracts and PatWill+Lonzo is $7M more than Brogdon so would be hard to make the money work without looping in another team (and doubt the Bulls would fork over Williams without making us eat the Lonzo contract).
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#27 » by DusterBuster » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:59 am

PDXKnight wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Marang on his livestream broadcast started it chatting about what to do with Brogdon. He said teams are interested in him, the team will look to move him, but it will be “eventually”. Basically saying the team has done a ton of work on transactions already and needs to start having focus on camp. When Brogdon gets moved, it may be during season, so odds on that he suits up and plays some games in Portland.

Brogdon wouldn't be a bad piece to keep for 2 years unless teams are chomping for him

I think he’s a great backup to Scoot if he’s willing to play that role for a bit. Then a great deadline trade chip to a team wanting to load up for the playoffs. I’m totally fine if they don’t want to force the issue with moving him like they did with Jrue.

Scoot/Brogdon
Simons/Sharpe
Thybulle/Murray
Grant/Walker
Ayton/Williams

That’s just such a fun sounding roster on paper when healthy. The most athletic team I can remember from the Blazers in I don’t even know when. Such a nice balance of younger vets but youth that can defend, play fast and score.

To think the Blazers just went from a Center rotation of Nurkic and Eubanks to DeAndrea Ayton and Robert Williams III. They even have guys who will be big pieces of the team moving forward with finals experience too. So this isn’t just a group of rando young guys waiting for something to pop like so many rebuilding teams.

It’s impossible to know what this team can do when it’s literally a team created in the last 7 days and very little time to gel all things considered, and led by a rookie PG, but nothing would surprise me for them at this point. I could see them having a shocking season like the Jazz last year but just missing the playoffs, I could see them being a playin or even full playoff team if they just gel and everything clicks plus are healthy (unlikely, but who knows), then I could also see them being what we expect, a high 20’s to mid 30’s win team in play for another Top 5 pick.

I do think I may lay some money on the over though if the odds on the season are still in the mid-20’s next week.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#28 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:59 am

ORLoyalist wrote:
Sinobas wrote:

Unfortunately, don't see Pat Williams happening for us. IIRC Brogdon can't be aggregated with other Portland contracts and PatWill+Lonzo is $7M more than Brogdon so would be hard to make the money work without looping in another team (and doubt the Bulls would fork over Williams without making us eat the Lonzo contract).

I'd like to see something around that Portland first coming back to Portland plus potentially another first from Chicago without ball. If we have to to get that Portland pick from Chicago I'd even consider tossing in that gsw 2024 1st
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,431

Post#29 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:02 am

Is he even healthy to play? I don’t see the point of keeping him til l the deadline and taking mins away from the 3 S’s. If he’s not healthy that would make sense but if he is it’ll be a lot of small ball this fall.

I hope we can get a late 1st for him that GS’s first (which I think will be 17-22) and our own would be 3 firsts in the 2024 draft. I think we’re only one year away from trying to be competitive if Scoot and Shaedon translate well Simons and Ayton are already great. If we can get another big time prospect at SF like Holland or Mars’s or even a front court player like Sarr to team up with Ayton we’d have a great core of 4-5 guys between 20-26.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#30 » by Norm2953 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:08 am

I'd be content with another FRP 3-4 years down the line
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#31 » by Jsun947 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:08 am

PDXKnight wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
I care for the sake of not losing the 2028 swap right with the bucks

I’d do Brogdon for Ball and our 1st back for this reason but it does seem like we should be getting another asset in the deal as well.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#32 » by Blazers98 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:19 am

Brogden should fetch a 1st rounder and expiring.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#33 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:33 am

Blazers98 wrote:Brogden should fetch a 1st rounder and expiring.

And probably 1-2 more firsts if we are taking on bad money.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#34 » by DusterBuster » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:38 am

[tweet][/tweet]

Marang mentioned the blazers following the OKC path, taking bad contacts that last 2-3 years to get FRPs.

To me, this could be Houston and eating KPJs deal for picks. I would hope more than 2nd rounders as I’ve heard on here. I would demand 1st rounders or 2nd rounders and a rotation quality rookie.

Lonzo would track too. Bulls would want a productive player swapped vs just getting a salary exception and save money or have money for a FA that won’t ever come.

So I would guess the Bulls are my best bet for where Brogdon ends up. They will be decent, think one more piece will help them get to the second round. Brogdon will fill a need on their roster.

The Blazers will likely get their own pick FRP back + some seconds, for Alonzo’s dead weight deal. And Olshey’s Larry Nance Jr trade will have ended in having to pay 40mil get get your own pick back and a couple pointless 2nd rounders.

**** you Neil.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#35 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:40 am

DusterBuster wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

Marang mentioned the blazers following the OKC path, taking bad contacts that last 2-3 years to get FRPs.

To me, this could be Houston and eating KPJs deal for picks. I would hope more than 2nd rounders as I’ve heard on here. I would demand 1st rounders or 2nd rounders and a rotation quality rookie.

Lonzo would track too. Bulls would want a productive player swapped vs just getting a salary exception and save money or have money for a FA that won’t ever come.

So I would guess the Bulls are my best bet for where Brogdon ends up. They will be decent, think one more piece will help them get to the second round. Brogdon will fill a need on their roster.

The Blazers will likely get their own pick FRP back + some seconds, for Alonzo’s dead weight deal. And Olshey’s Larry Nance Jr trade will have ended in having to pay 40mil get get your own pick back and a couple pointless 2nd rounders.

**** you Neil.

if we are taking on lonzo’s deal we’d better get our pick and an additional pick
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#36 » by DusterBuster » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:50 am

PDXKnight wrote:

**** you Neil.

if we are taking on lonzo’s deal we’d better get our pick and an additional pick

Portland is in a bind. If they want that pick back, they’re already don’t have great leverage. So yeah, we’ll see, but don’t think getting back 2 FRPs in that situation is realistic.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#37 » by DusterBuster » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:37 am

Some fun with Blazers Twitter PR. Blazers just posted their “Welcome to Portland” tweets for Malcolm and Robert. They they quickly deleted Malcolm’s welcome tweet and only left up Roberts…

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=ytu8_lCpASqsmEN-XvYq2g
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#38 » by GEE » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:46 am

I don't think Cronin will be looking to acquire a draft pick/s as a first priority. I have to think he might be looking to add another young talented PF to add to the young core, as the main target asset. Good draft pick and an expiring contract is about what I expect he'd be after. Who the PF/C target is... no clue.

Someone earlier suggested going after Zach Collins... Love that line of thinking. He'd fit the bill perfectly IMO. Add a decent 1st and an expiring and I'd be thrilled. If we can do better than that, Do it.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#39 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:47 am

DusterBuster wrote:Some fun with Blazers Twitter PR. Blazers just posted their “Welcome to Portland” tweets for Malcolm and Robert. They they quickly deleted Malcolm’s welcome tweet and only left up Roberts…

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=ytu8_lCpASqsmEN-XvYq2g

Oh wow they really did. It's not on instagram anymore.
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#40 » by RTG HD » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:51 am

DusterBuster wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

**** you Neil.

Portland is in a bind. If they want that pick back, they’re already don’t have great leverage. So yeah, we’ll see, but don’t think getting back 2 FRPs in that situation is realistic.

I don't think the Blazer pick that the Bulls own is worth any more than 2 second round picks.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers