ImageImage

Where’s Malcolm Go?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Re: Where’s Malcolm Go? 

Post#61 » by Blazers98 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 4:03 am

Norm2953 wrote:Players can only play as many minutes as they can handle.

Scoot will still be the PG of the future but Brogdon who is ten years older will be motivated to
prove himself to the rest of the league, which only brings back more in trade by December 15,
when more guys will be available in trade.

What will be as interesting is Robert Williams vs Ayton to be the starting center. Likely health
will make RW the backup for Portland might choose load manage Williams to keep him healthy.

Good point about Brogdon.

With Ayton and his ego, we need to start him day one and feed him the ball.
If he doesn't start, things could go bad....quickly.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#62 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Oct 3, 2023 5:57 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Ant however is Portland's best 3 point shooter,

the Ant legend keeps growing

last season's 3 point percentages:

Malcolm Brogdon .444
Jerami Grant .401
Trendon Watford .391
Matisse Thybulle .388
Anfernee Simons .377
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#63 » by zzaj » Tue Oct 3, 2023 6:23 am

I know it sounds insane…

But if Scoot lives up to any bit of his hype on both ends, Sharpe takes a step in the correct direction…and Williams and Brogdon are healthy and play…

Is this team too good?

Scoot/Ant/Mays
Sharpe/Ant/Thybulle
Brogdon/Thybulle/Camara
Grant/Winslow/Murray
Ayton/Williams/Brown

Aside from an ACTUAL SF, this team could 100% sneak themselves out of the Lotto. Assuming everyone is staying until the deadline, this is better big man depth than the Blazers have had in a long time.

EDIT: my feeling is that they are going to try and put together a package using Ant/Williams/Brogdon as pieces for the SF of the future.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#64 » by Norm2953 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 6:42 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

Malcolm Brogdon .444
Jerami Grant .401
Trendon Watford .391
Matisse Thybulle .388
Anfernee Simons .377

Ant was second on the team in 3PA with 9.1 attempts/game (Dame took 11 3PA).

Jerami Grant took 5.7 3PA, Watford 1.0, Thybulle 3.9 while Brogdon played in a different system
in Boston with better players. Nobody knows what type of stats Brogdon will produce in Portland
away from Tatum/Brown.

Ant does have deficiencies in his game but with Dame's departure, he's going be Portland's 3 point
shooter in their BC for both Scoot/Sharpe like to drive to the basket.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#65 » by Norm2953 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 6:57 am

zzaj wrote:I know it sounds insane…

But if Scoot lives up to any bit of his hype on both ends, Sharpe takes a step in the correct direction…and Williams and Brogdon are healthy and play…

Is this team too good?

Scoot/Ant/Mays
Sharpe/Ant/Thybulle
Brogdon/Thybulle/Camara
Grant/Winslow/Murray
Ayton/Williams/Brown

Aside from an ACTUAL SF, this team could 100% sneak themselves out of the Lotto. Assuming everyone is staying until the deadline, this is better big man depth than the Blazers have had in a long time.

EDIT: my feeling is that they are going to try and put together a package using Ant/Williams/Brogdon as pieces for the SF of the future.

Team has made too many changes, virtually turning over their roster. They might struggle to score points when
both Ant and Grant are struggling from the field. It's going to take some time for this team to come together
with all the new faces.

I do think the team might be decent by the second half of the season for they have 4 guards who start in the league
and have more size up front
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#66 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:57 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

Malcolm Brogdon .444
Jerami Grant .401
Trendon Watford .391
Matisse Thybulle .388
Anfernee Simons .377

Jerami Grant took 5.7 3PA, Watford 1.0, Thybulle 3.9 while Brogdon played in a different system
in Boston with better players. Nobody knows what type of stats Brogdon will produce in Portland
away from Tatum/Brown.

Ant does have deficiencies in his game but with Dame's departure, he's going be Portland's 3 point
shooter in their BC for both Scoot/Sharpe like to drive to the basket.

This.

At least regarding contextualising the 3PT shooting.

Simons also shot 40.5% on 7.8 attempts the season before last, and 42.6% on 4.4 attempts the season before.

Regarding driving to the rim, unfortunately I'm not as sold on Shaedon doing this. He hasn't shown terrific ability yet. I'm convinced that Scoot will be able to do this on day 1 (his efficiency may not be there, but he'll be getting to the right places).
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#67 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Oct 3, 2023 8:05 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:You know what you don't do day one?

You don't tank your number three picks chances for chemistry and putting his name out there to the world plus being a leading presence for ROTY to play Malcolm Brogdon, who is likely being traded.

That's a nasty thing to do.
Completely agree.

Scoot is a #1 pick in many drafts. Heck, he would have been #1 in this draft if it wasn't for a LeBron level-hyped prospect in Wemby.

Importantly, his body is built for the NBA. This isn't a Chet Holgrem situation where you could argue to ease him in while he adjusts physically.

Only time will tell regarding whether Scoot lives up to the hype or flops, but for a rebuilding team like Portland, you should absolutely look to start him imo.

Given we have Ant who is a pretty high performer offensively, and Sharpe who is in a similar tier of prospectivity as Scoot (I prefer Scoot personally), a tough decision will need to be made regarding which 2 of those 3 will start. Hopefully the compromise isn't starting Shaedon at SF.

However there shouldn't be a compromise starting Brogdon over those 3 in my eyes.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#68 » by DC_Melo » Tue Oct 3, 2023 10:06 am

In the middle
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#69 » by zzaj » Tue Oct 3, 2023 3:16 pm

Norm2953 wrote:

Is this team too good?

Scoot/Ant/Mays
Sharpe/Ant/Thybulle
Brogdon/Thybulle/Camara
Grant/Winslow/Murray
Ayton/Williams/Brown

Team has made too many changes, virtually turning over their roster. They might struggle to score points when
both Ant and Grant are struggling from the field. It's going to take some time for this team to come together
with all the new faces.

I do think the team might be decent by the second half of the season for they have 4 guards who start in the league
and have more size up front

I agree about the chemistry part...and it takes a few years for young players to really figure out the NBA. Even Lillard admitted that, and he came in strong. But I could see quite a bump in overall defense and tempo with this roster which may lead to easier scoring...in fact I'm almost sure it will. Shoot, just getting Ayton to convert on shots at the rim makes things easier...

The key is going to be Chauncey. This has got to be a make or break year for him in terms of seeing sea change and better choices.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:29 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

Malcolm Brogdon .444
Jerami Grant .401
Trendon Watford .391
Matisse Thybulle .388
Anfernee Simons .377

away from Tatum/Brown.

and nobody knows what Ant will do when he isn't drafting for a season off of the attention defenses gave Dame

you might want to look at the progression of Ant's 3ptFG% compared to minutes, overall FGA, & usage:

2020-21: minutes 17.3....FGA 6.3....usage 18.3%....3ptFG% .424
2021-22: minutes 29.5....FGA 14.0....usage 24.8%....3ptFG% .405
2022-23: minutes 35.0...FGA 16.9....usage 25.1%....3ptFG% ..377

as his minutes, usage, and overall FGA increased, his shooting efficiency dropped, especially on three's. From 42.4% to 37.7% is a significant drop. And by the way, when players significantly increase their minutes and usage, drops in efficiency are very common....unless they are an elite player, which Ant is not

now, maybe that trend is an aberration. But the Blazers are talking like Ant will be their #1 option (dumb), and if he is, for the first time in his career he will become the #1 focus of opposing defenses. He will not have clear sailing to a bunch of open shots
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#71 » by Blazers98 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 11:30 pm

Is this team too good?

Scoot/Ant/Mays
Sharpe/Ant/Thybulle
Brogdon/Thybulle/Camara
Grant/Winslow/Murray
Ayton/Williams/Brown

Not that they will be a playoff team, but before all of the trades went down, I was thinking we would easily be a bottom 3 team. Now....I'm thinking a bottom 4-6 team. They are incredibly young, have no chemistry, and have nothing to prove really.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#72 » by DC_Melo » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:08 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Malcolm Brogdon .444
Jerami Grant .401
Trendon Watford .391
Matisse Thybulle .388
Anfernee Simons .377

away from Tatum/Brown.

and nobody knows what Ant will do when he isn't drafting for a season off of the attention defenses gave Dame

you might want to look at the progression of Ant's 3ptFG% compared to minutes, overall FGA, & usage:

as his minutes, usage, and overall FGA increased, his shooting efficiency dropped, especially on three's. From 42.4% to 37.7% is a significant drop. And by the way, when players significantly increase their minutes and usage, drops in efficiency are very common....unless they are an elite player, which Ant is not

now, maybe that trend is an aberration. But the Blazers are talking like Ant will be their #1 option (dumb), and if he is, for the first time in his career he will become the #1 focus of opposing defenses. He will not have clear sailing to a bunch of open shots

He seems aware of this per his media day interview. Simons was asked about what part of his game he worked on over the summer, and he replied his training involved getting used to more ball denials, double teams, and other schemes defenses might throw at him as a primary option. Who knows how much that pays off, but at least he sees it coming.

I do think the blazers are going to look at him as the go-to guy, for better or worse. One thing that was brought up at media day, was that his best career stretch came when Dame sat out those couple months and he was the feature guy. I don’t have the stats to verify this, just repeating what was said by a reporter.

But this will be a very different team with several new scoring options. Ayton and Scoot will demand defensive attention, and Grant can make poor coverage pay. Who knows what developments Sharpe brings to the table, but he’s another potential weapon. Even if Simons is the feature guy in the offense, he will be far from the only guy.

That said, I appreciate your analysis of his minute to efficiency ratio, and agree that if he is going to make the leap to star in this league, he needs to find a way to elevate his efficiency while enduring increased minutes and volume.
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#73 » by jhern87 » Wed Oct 4, 2023 3:55 am

If I’m Cronin, I’m holding onto Brogdon instead of letting him go for a lotto protected 1st. We have young guys that will need vets to show them how to handle certain situations and just help this team play good basketball. Plus some competition for the young guys will bring out the best in them.

Also, he has two years left on his deal. Let him build his value and if a team comes in and overpays for him at the deadline, then great. If not, you have a nice expiring contract next year that will be very attractive with teams trying to avoid the higher luxury tax penalties of the new CBA.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Oct 4, 2023 4:52 am

DC_Melo wrote: One thing that was brought up at media day, was that his best career stretch came when Dame sat out those couple months and he was the feature guy. I don’t have the stats to verify this, just repeating what was said by a reporter.

there's quite a bit of context involved in that. To start with, for about 5 weeks, CJ, Powell, RoCo, & Nance were still Blazers. Ant's numbers did jump because he was taking Dame's usage, at least the usage CJ wasn't taking. He only played in 9 games after CJ/Nance were traded and the Blazers shut him down. Blazers lost a lot of games after Dame went out

this 'Ant does better without Dame' narrative is the exact narrative CJ fans spouted for years. The doing better is mostly about higher usage, thus higher numbers. Efficiency often dropped. And as we've seen, CJ is the same player in N.O, he was in Portland

empty calorie numbers for volume scorers are fairly common when they become the main volume scorer and don't have to share the ball with a better player

I expect Ant's numbers to increase this season. He's going to get more shots and have the ball more. I don't expect that to generate many wins
Butter
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#75 » by Butter » Wed Oct 4, 2023 9:22 am

What if the Blazers trade Ant and keep Brogdon?

Brogdon could be a veteran mentor for Sccot and Sharp, he can back up both as sixth man, and his contract is a year shorter than Ants.

At the end of the day, this team is built to grow, not win a championship this year.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#76 » by Goldbum » Wed Oct 4, 2023 11:35 am

I'm getting more and more in favor of Brogdan for Ball and our pick back. Maybe it's the way Mays played last season, but Ant/Scoot/Sharpe/Mays/Thybulle seems about right for a rebuilding team.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#77 » by mojomarc » Wed Oct 4, 2023 12:28 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Malcolm Brogdon .444
Jerami Grant .401
Trendon Watford .391
Matisse Thybulle .388
Anfernee Simons .377

away from Tatum/Brown.

I'm not sure. Depends how good Billups is, honestly. I could see a Scoot/Ayton pick-and-roll being the main point of the office with kickouts/cuts to Sharpe and Ant being very interesting. So even if Ant is the primary recipient the focus will be less on him since he won't have primary ball-handling requirements nearly as much as the last two years with Dame missing so much time. If Ayton is looking more like Aldridge on offense, teams will have to sag a bit more to the middle, after all. I won't say it will be pretty all the time (or most the time) since the team is going to have to gel and you have a ton of inexperienced players involved, but I could see it at least resembling something of an offense and seeing Ant being a better 3pt% player because of it compared to last year especially.

I'm leaving Grant out as I think he will be dangled once the window opens up.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#78 » by DC_Melo » Wed Oct 4, 2023 12:56 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DC_Melo wrote: One thing that was brought up at media day, was that his best career stretch came when Dame sat out those couple months and he was the feature guy. I don’t have the stats to verify this, just repeating what was said by a reporter.

there's quite a bit of context involved in that. To start with, for about 5 weeks, CJ, Powell, RoCo, & Nance were still Blazers. Ant's numbers did jump because he was taking Dame's usage, at least the usage CJ wasn't taking. He only played in 9 games after CJ/Nance were traded and the Blazers shut him down. Blazers lost a lot of games after Dame went out

this 'Ant does better without Dame' narrative is the exact narrative CJ fans spouted for years. The doing better is mostly about higher usage, thus higher numbers. Efficiency often dropped. And as we've seen, CJ is the same player in N.O, he was in Portland

empty calorie numbers for volume scorers are fairly common when they become the main volume scorer and don't have to share the ball with a better player

I expect Ant's numbers to increase this season. He's going to get more shots and have the ball more. I don't expect that to generate many wins

I appreciate the context!

Couldn’t agree more that if Simons is going to become a player that truly impacts winning, his efficiency will need to suffer less at the hands of volume.

That said, I don’t really see him getting a ton more usage than he was already getting. I’d expect some increase to be sure, but I think there’s going to be enough hungry mouths on offense to share the workload.

Scoot will be a very high usage player, as will Ayton who I anticipate will be used heavily in the pick and roll (and don’t be surprised to see a lot of pop too! Blazers are all but certain to test his 3 point range), plus Grant will need his touches.

One thing we haven’t had in a long time is a PG with a true creator skillset. That’s no knock on Dame, but if u watch his tape, his assists typically came from within a set on offense where he passed out of a P/R or swung the ball from the perimeter, and the occasional drive kick out. (Edit: He was efficient in transition too, but not a high volume of assists there due to him not pushing tempo a lot and his love of jacking the pull-up 30+ footer on the break) He executed efficiently, but he created very little offense for others outside of designed sets. Dame NEVER probed, and nearly 100% of the time that he drove, the drive ended with a shot or a kick out.

If you haven’t watched a ton of Scoot, this kid plays the position very differently. 1- He pushes tempo at every chance to find the easy transition bucket, even off made FG. 2- Scoot loooooves to probe defenses when initiating a half court set. He’ll often test a couple of spots in the perimeter before calling out the set he see fits. He may not get that full freedom as a rookie, but u will see it eventually. 3- Scoot nashes the ball very well. If he doesn’t like his options on the drive, he maintains jumping discipline and keeps his dribble alive. This tactic causes defenses to have a delayed collapse and has a very high chance of generating an open look for a teammate.

All that is an entirely too long winded way of saying that Scoot could actually be better at creating open looks for his teammates then Dame was, even as a rookie. Simon’s efficiency might actually see an uptick if Scoot can help him get cleaner looks.

Also, I need this season to start… I’m sick of watching scouting tape and game film :lol:
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#79 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 4, 2023 2:09 pm

I would like us to get our hands on Poku if he is avaliable - still like his upside. OKC may be going a bit more win-now this year and the cost to add Malcolm wouldnt be too bad - Brogdan for Oladipo (Cut) + Pokusevski + Mann + 2nd lowest 24 FRP (They have 4 - lowest owed to DEN)

PDX
G - Scoot Henderson / Anfernee Simons / Tre Mann
G - Shadeon Sharpe / Anfernee Simons / Tre Mann
F - Matisse Thybulle / Kris Murray / Rayan Rupert
F - Jerami Grant / Aleksej Pokusevski / Toumani Camara
C - DeAndre Ayton / Robert Williams / Jabari Walker JR

OKC
G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Vasilije Micic / Cason Wallace
G - Malcolm Brogdan / Lou Dort / Isaiah Joe
F - Jalen Williams / Lou Dort / Aaron Wiggins
F - Josh Giddey / Kenrich Williams / Osumane Dieng
C - Chet Holmgren / Jaylin Williams / Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#80 » by Sinobas » Wed Oct 4, 2023 2:38 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

Malcolm Brogdon .444
Jerami Grant .401
Trendon Watford .391
Matisse Thybulle .388
Anfernee Simons .377

Thybulle's average last year was better than Dame for his career, yet no one thinks they are anywhere close in that category. Some players have to jack up wild shots when the clock shot is winding down, whereas others get the benefit of just taking wide open ones.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers