Where’s Malcolm Go?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,086

Re: Where’s Malcolm Go? 

Post#81 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 4, 2023 3:05 pm

The Blazers need to figure out both forward positions if they intend on moving Grant. If not, they need to figure out their SF position. That's the missing piece at this point. They have both guard positions and center position filled out with starters and backups, but they are severely lacking at forward.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#82 » by Sinobas » Wed Oct 4, 2023 4:01 pm

I think everyone did better without Dame. Dame dominated the ball so much and was concentrated more on getting his own shots up rather than finding open players. That's why you can't call him "the best blazer ever". Players like that make others check out mentally.

You could see the increased enthusiasm when he sat out.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,960

Post#83 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 4, 2023 4:13 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:The Blazers need to figure out both forward positions if they intend on moving Grant. If not, they need to figure out their SF position. That's the missing piece at this point. They have both guard positions and center position filled out with starters and backups, but they are severely lacking at forward.

I agree but dont really see a path to getting that guy using the assets we currently have. I think the SFOTF is going to be in the 2024 draft. Dont see a path to a Pat Williams or Kuminga using what we currently have.

Forwards w/ legit size and 2-way abilities are the most in-demand archetype in the league IMO (Maybe 2nd after the elusive switchy-3/D rim protecting C). Just seems like not many 6'7-6'10 forwards that are not position locked to PF are panning out recently / available.

A Franz Wagner would just be amazing. Hoping we can get a similar caliber guy w/ our 2024 FRP and simply use the GSW FRP on BPA.

I know we are likely keeping Rob but the C depth in 2024 is pretty unique - dont think its crazy to think we spend the GSW FRP on a C.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#84 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 4, 2023 5:01 pm

Buzelis would be great fit out of the 2024 draft.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#85 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Oct 4, 2023 5:31 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:
DC_Melo wrote: One thing that was brought up at media day, was that his best career stretch came when Dame sat out those couple months and he was the feature guy. I don’t have the stats to verify this, just repeating what was said by a reporter.

there's quite a bit of context involved in that. To start with, for about 5 weeks, CJ, Powell, RoCo, & Nance were still Blazers. Ant's numbers did jump because he was taking Dame's usage, at least the usage CJ wasn't taking. He only played in 9 games after CJ/Nance were traded and the Blazers shut him down. Blazers lost a lot of games after Dame went out

this 'Ant does better without Dame' narrative is the exact narrative CJ fans spouted for years. The doing better is mostly about higher usage, thus higher numbers. Efficiency often dropped. And as we've seen, CJ is the same player in N.O, he was in Portland

empty calorie numbers for volume scorers are fairly common when they become the main volume scorer and don't have to share the ball with a better player

I expect Ant's numbers to increase this season. He's going to get more shots and have the ball more. I don't expect that to generate many wins

I appreciate the context!

Couldn’t agree more that if Simons is going to become a player that truly impacts winning, his efficiency will need to suffer less at the hands of volume.

That said, I don’t really see him getting a ton more usage than he was already getting. I’d expect some increase to be sure, but I think there’s going to be enough hungry mouths on offense to share the workload.

Scoot will be a very high usage player, as will Ayton who I anticipate will be used heavily in the pick and roll (and don’t be surprised to see a lot of pop too! Blazers are all but certain to test his 3 point range), plus Grant will need his touches.

One thing we haven’t had in a long time is a PG with a true creator skillset. That’s no knock on Dame, but if u watch his tape, his assists typically came from within a set on offense where he passed out of a P/R or swung the ball from the perimeter, and the occasional drive kick out. (Edit: He was efficient in transition too, but not a high volume of assists there due to him not pushing tempo a lot and his love of jacking the pull-up 30+ footer on the break) He executed efficiently, but he created very little offense for others outside of designed sets. Dame NEVER probed, and nearly 100% of the time that he drove, the drive ended with a shot or a kick out.

If you haven’t watched a ton of Scoot, this kid plays the position very differently. 1- He pushes tempo at every chance to find the easy transition bucket, even off made FG. 2- Scoot loooooves to probe defenses when initiating a half court set. He’ll often test a couple of spots in the perimeter before calling out the set he see fits. He may not get that full freedom as a rookie, but u will see it eventually. 3- Scoot nashes the ball very well. If he doesn’t like his options on the drive, he maintains jumping discipline and keeps his dribble alive. This tactic causes defenses to have a delayed collapse and has a very high chance of generating an open look for a teammate.

All that is an entirely too long winded way of saying that Scoot could actually be better at creating open looks for his teammates then Dame was, even as a rookie. Simon’s efficiency might actually see an uptick if Scoot can help him get cleaner looks.

Also, I need this season to start… I’m sick of watching scouting tape and game film :lol:

yeah, you're probably right. Ayton will want shots; Grant will want shots; Scoot & Brogdon will want shots and so will Sharpe. Dame and Nurkic, are gone, theoretically opening up 29 FGA/game. But Ayton+Brogdon+Williams averaged 29 FGA/game last season and Sharpe needs a lot more than 8 FGA. And so does Scoot

I saw Ant going into MeJ mode sometimes last season. Not consistently, but he sure did at times when Dame sat. If he goes into MeJ mode this season, taking shots away from Ayton, Sharpe, Brogdon, Scoot & Williams, while giving a 'dribble-happy-shot-clock-burning' clinic, he needs to be disciplined
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#86 » by Sinobas » Wed Oct 4, 2023 7:05 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:
there's quite a bit of context involved in that. To start with, for about 5 weeks, CJ, Powell, RoCo, & Nance were still Blazers. Ant's numbers did jump because he was taking Dame's usage, at least the usage CJ wasn't taking. He only played in 9 games after CJ/Nance were traded and the Blazers shut him down. Blazers lost a lot of games after Dame went out

this 'Ant does better without Dame' narrative is the exact narrative CJ fans spouted for years. The doing better is mostly about higher usage, thus higher numbers. Efficiency often dropped. And as we've seen, CJ is the same player in N.O, he was in Portland

empty calorie numbers for volume scorers are fairly common when they become the main volume scorer and don't have to share the ball with a better player

I expect Ant's numbers to increase this season. He's going to get more shots and have the ball more. I don't expect that to generate many wins

I appreciate the context!

Couldn’t agree more that if Simons is going to become a player that truly impacts winning, his efficiency will need to suffer less at the hands of volume.

That said, I don’t really see him getting a ton more usage than he was already getting. I’d expect some increase to be sure, but I think there’s going to be enough hungry mouths on offense to share the workload.

Scoot will be a very high usage player, as will Ayton who I anticipate will be used heavily in the pick and roll (and don’t be surprised to see a lot of pop too! Blazers are all but certain to test his 3 point range), plus Grant will need his touches.

One thing we haven’t had in a long time is a PG with a true creator skillset. That’s no knock on Dame, but if u watch his tape, his assists typically came from within a set on offense where he passed out of a P/R or swung the ball from the perimeter, and the occasional drive kick out. (Edit: He was efficient in transition too, but not a high volume of assists there due to him not pushing tempo a lot and his love of jacking the pull-up 30+ footer on the break) He executed efficiently, but he created very little offense for others outside of designed sets. Dame NEVER probed, and nearly 100% of the time that he drove, the drive ended with a shot or a kick out.

If you haven’t watched a ton of Scoot, this kid plays the position very differently. 1- He pushes tempo at every chance to find the easy transition bucket, even off made FG. 2- Scoot loooooves to probe defenses when initiating a half court set. He’ll often test a couple of spots in the perimeter before calling out the set he see fits. He may not get that full freedom as a rookie, but u will see it eventually. 3- Scoot nashes the ball very well. If he doesn’t like his options on the drive, he maintains jumping discipline and keeps his dribble alive. This tactic causes defenses to have a delayed collapse and has a very high chance of generating an open look for a teammate.

All that is an entirely too long winded way of saying that Scoot could actually be better at creating open looks for his teammates then Dame was, even as a rookie. Simon’s efficiency might actually see an uptick if Scoot can help him get cleaner looks.

Also, I need this season to start… I’m sick of watching scouting tape and game film :lol:

yeah, you're probably right. Ayton will want shots; Grant will want shots; Scoot & Brogdon will want shots and so will Scoot & Sharpe. Dame and Nurkic, are gone, theoretically opening up 29 FGA/game. But Ayton+Brogdon+Williams average 29 FGA/game last season and Sharpe needs a lot more than 8 FGA. And so does Scoot

I saw Ant going into MeJ mode sometimes last season. Not consistently, but he sure did at times when Dame sat. If he goes into MeJ mode this season, taking shots away from Ayton, Sharpe, Brogdon, Scoot & Williams, while giving a 'dribble-happy-shot-clock-burning' clinic, he needs to be disciplined

I think Cronin wants to eventually trade Simons. He'll see how Sharpe/Scoot develop, but there obviously isn't room for all 3 long term unless we play that dumb small ball. Cronin traded CJ, so that's evidence that he wanted to get away from that.

Hopefully Simons increases his stock and we can exchanget him for a forward.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#87 » by DC_Melo » Wed Oct 4, 2023 7:42 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

Lol… don’t think I’ve ever heard MeJ before but that’s hilarious.

Agreed. Simons is gonna have to find a way to get his while still playing within the team. It’s one thing to be a primary scorer, it’s another to isolate yourself from the offense, which Simons has done at times in the past.

I hope he puts it all together. I dont think he’s hit his ceiling yet, but I agree he will have to modify his approach in order to get there.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#88 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 4, 2023 7:55 pm

Portland has 4 guys in their BC who could start in the NBA. If indeed Simons goes in MeJ mode and the
coach doesn't like it, he'll be sitting on the bench next to the coach.

Ant isn't going to be Portland's problem this season but after Grant, Portland has no other forward on
the roster on paper who is a starting caliber NBA player unless one of the young player really develops.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#89 » by Sinobas » Wed Oct 4, 2023 8:23 pm

Scoot is the first guard we've had in awhile that I think will actually create for his team-mates. Dame and CJ would often take turns going one on one. Hopefully that lessons "MeJ" ball..
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#90 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Oct 4, 2023 9:06 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
Lol… don’t think I’ve ever heard MeJ before but that’s hilarious.

it was coined quite a few years ago...I don't know by who. But it pretty quickly became a widely used label for CJ's worst 'dribble-lots-and-chuck-shots-a-lot' tendencies....that Stotts never tried to throttle back
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#91 » by monopoman » Wed Oct 4, 2023 9:19 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Portland has 4 guys in their BC who could start in the NBA. If indeed Simons goes in MeJ mode and the
coach doesn't like it, he'll be sitting on the bench next to the coach.

Ant isn't going to be Portland's problem this season but after Grant, Portland has no other forward on
the roster on paper who is a starting caliber NBA player unless one of the young player really develops.

Billups also does seem to be the type of coach to really get annoyed by that, Anfernee is nowhere near a superstar so he can't really go out there and do what he wants with the ball offensively no matter what.

People also will rip into Dame for similar play but he was one of the top guards for assists and many times he would try to get his teammates going early in a game. Sure in the 4th quarter he might start taking it more in his own hands but you can bet your ass he would pass even when he was really cooking.

If all you ever saw of Blazer games was Dame highlights and Dame's best 4th quarters he looks like a shoot first player but that is not the whole story at all.
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#92 » by soobias » Wed Oct 4, 2023 9:49 pm

to me DAME'S mej was more in the flow of the game and he proved from year 1 he was more than capable of hitting those shots. with cj and simons to me was more apparent that they were chuckers.
i hope simons dont think he'll get away with that and he concentrates more on being a 2 way player. actually i hope all are just looking for shots and focusing more on team play .
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#93 » by JasonStern » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#94 » by Blazers20 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:17 pm

Need to trade Brogdon and Time Lord ASAP before they get injured and become untradable.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#95 » by zzaj » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:30 pm

Sinobas wrote:I think everyone did better without Dame. Dame dominated the ball so much and was concentrated more on getting his own shots up rather than finding open players. That's why you can't call him "the best blazer ever". Players like that make others check out mentally.

eh?

Lillard ran the system. The system for the better part of a decade was point of attack primary option -- which amounts to Lillard scoring. This was largely done through PnR extended and sets based on coverage out of that.

Lillard "dominated" the ball because he should dominate the ball--he was the most efficient ball handler on the team and was the best at setting up his teammates as per what his coaches wanted and what the defense was giving up.

Increased enthusiasm when he sat out? You'd have to give me examples, because I never saw any of that. I saw certain players put up better numbers because they were allowed to play a little more outside of the system than when Lillard was in the game, or because they basically replaced his usage, but never any "increased enthusiasm".

If you want to talk about players dominating the ball that would be CJ. It's a pretty well known metric that he lead or was near the top of the league in time per possession with the ball in his hands basically the whole time he was a Blazer. Looks like the Blazers have a CJ junior in Simons...
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,107

Post#96 » by Effigy » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:53 pm

zzaj wrote: Looks like the Blazers have a CJ junior in Simons...

It's looked like that ever sine we traded CJ. And it's a big reason I want us to trade Simons.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,086

Post#97 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:32 am

Sinobas wrote:I think everyone did better without Dame. Dame dominated the ball so much and was concentrated more on getting his own shots up rather than finding open players. That's why you can't call him "the best blazer ever". Players like that make others check out mentally.

Lillard definitely looked for his shot, but also looked for his teammates. Didn't he average around 7 assists per game? It's not 10 like Chris Paul, but then Paul isn't the offensive threat Lillard is. I dunno about you, but I want to utilize Lillard offensively, compared to relying on someone else on the roster. Had the Blazers put any players around him that could hit a shot, he might have passed more. We'll see how he does in Milwaukee.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,525

Post#98 » by Pattycakes » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:57 pm

Dame was never the problem.

Our problem was that we’ve been an iso heavy team the last decade plus, and it was so damned predictable that we could never actually go anywhere (win a chip).

Once we got good enough overall, we got beat down in the playoffs by teams that actually played team
Basketball plus defense.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#99 » by Goldbum » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:28 am

I think Ant has a Huge year. After that who knows? He could go, but I'd be expecting a haul coming back. Otherwise all 3 of those guys could get 34 minutes a game as long as Shaedon plays between 6 and 8 minutes SF. I think we NEED Ant's shooting.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#100 » by GEE » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:36 am

I really thought we would have seen M.B. traded before the start of the season. Since he appears to be happy here, I feel lucky to have him. But my point is... If the plan is to keep Brogden... He is our best PG and I'd have to think that Chauncey and Cronin BELIEVE we can compete now and not later, and I happen to agree. Though a bit small, I think we are easily competitve with our top 8, but will need someone like Walker and/or Reath and/or Moses to really step up their game. 1-8 looks great to me, but I think what we end up getting from our guys 9-14 will really determine just how good we will be:

Brogden / Scoot
Simons / Sharpe
Grant / Thybulle
TimeLord / Grant
Ayton / TimeLord

DISCLAIMER: If Chauncey can't get the lineups and minutes right, and feels the need to start Scoot day 1, then I think we will struggle to compete. Chauncey now has his' guys, so his' evaluation as a coach begins this season, and I'll be very critical of his moves as coach. Chauncey may be the biggest wildcard of all.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers