ImageImage

SF Upgrade Targets

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Butter
General Manager
And1: 125

SF Upgrade Targets 

Post#1 » by Butter » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:34 pm

Admittedly- I'm currently fixated on SF upgrades for this team. It's not that I don't like Thybulle, but I do think the Blazers need much more consistent perimeter shooting from the 3 spot. I'm trying to find younger players that fit into this teams timeline. Obviously the draft is another option.

Here are a couple of SF that I like:

Unattainable
- Cam Johnson
- Franz Wagner

Hard to get
- Trey Murphy III
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2023/2/27/23616813/trey-murphy-iii-new-orleans-pelicans-analysis-breakdown

- Herb Jones (SG/SF)

Can the Blazers find a SF upgrade via trade, or is the draft their best best?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Re: SF Upgrade Targets 

Post#2 » by DC_Melo » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:02 pm

Hmm… upgrading this position is going to be tough in the short run.

I don’t there there are too many elite wings out there on the trade market that we can pry away, especially at the cost they would demand. While the Blazers have some nice trade assets, I think most would agree those are assets we aren’t trying to part with (aside from perhaps Simons, who probably doesn’t have super high trade value at his current cost to production ratio).

The upcoming draft is on the weaker side unfortunately. However the top prospect, Ron Holland, and 3 of the top five current projected picks are SFs (Matas Buzelis and Justin Edwards). Also, Stephon Castle is a top 5 projection and he is a SG with enough size (6’7) to play SF. So there will be at least plenty of wing prospects if we land a high enough pick. But I’m not sure a top 5 pick is a certainty for this squad.

So the draft seems like a better bet than trading atm, but far from a sure thing.

Another possibility is trading Grant and/or Brogdon before the deadline for draft capital and an expiring contract, and making a run at OG when he hits free agency. I know none of us have any hope when it comes to FA, but I think OG would at least listen to our offer. We have a team that would be a perfect fit for him and match his timeline. Plus he’s currently on a team from a city that’s actually colder than PDX lol
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:11 pm

Would love to get Pat Williams of Kuminga but dont think we have the assets to get either team interested outside our UNP owed FRP and I wouldnt move that for either of these guys.

Memphis has 3 young SF (Zhaire, Roddy, LaRavia) - all are pretty much unproven but I would love to take a swing on any of the 3 if the cost was decent. A 3 way using Simons that brings us a future FRP and lands 1 of these 3 would be nice. I think all are better swings than Rupert (Who I just dont think has the juice athletically to have more than a minimal chance of panning out - I liked the pick dont get me wrong but its a swing that likely isnt going to hit).

Trey Murphy basically is the ideal fit if the guards hit like we hope - big SF who is a lights out 3PT guy and can score without dominating the ball or demanding high usage - but dont think NO would take anything we can realistically offer for him.

Would LOVE to but low on Poku - not a SF but a forward with unique talents who was finding his groove before injury last year.

Realistically the 2024 draft is where we find our SFOTF -but in the meantime a lower tier flyer like the MEM kids and Poku would be a great move IMO.

Given the OKC roster crunch I would think we could potentially get Poku into one of our TPE for a SRP and cash.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#4 » by zzaj » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm still in 'pump the brakes' mode with this team. I think the real window is going to start taking shape around 2027. Right now the Blazers need to establish an identity, determine what they have in Scoot and Sharpe, determine how Simons is going to work with or for the plans for the team and how that interfaces with Ayton long-term, and whether or not Time Lord can be a long-term piece for the team. Part of that is also determining if Chauncey is really the guy to helm the ship...I don't know either way--tanking blurs a lot of things.

Continue to gather and upgrade assets and let the young players get meaningful PT and shape them well.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#5 » by Norm2953 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:18 pm

We just need to find the next Jerome Kersey. Buzelis would be ideal
Butter
General Manager

Post#6 » by Butter » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:30 pm

Norm2953 wrote:We just need to find the next Jerome Kersey. Buzelis would be ideal

Kersey was amazing, but he was 6'7" 225 lbs bull dog.

Nbadrat.net has Buzelis at 6'11", 190.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#7 » by m0ng0 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:30 pm

I would love to try and get Lofton jr from Memphis
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#8 » by Norm2953 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:56 pm

Butter wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:We just need to find the next Jerome Kersey. Buzelis would be ideal

Mersey however was a high flying athlete wing on the Drexler teams

Buzelis seems like another Chet/Victor which is a very tall wing but the strength of the 2024 draft might
in the depth of available bigs.
Butter
General Manager

Post#9 » by Butter » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:29 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
Butter wrote:

Mersey however was a high flying athlete wing on the Drexler teams

Buzelis seems like another Chet/Victor which is a very tall wing but the strength of the 2024 draft might
in the depth of available bigs.

After watching highlights of last night's Thunder/Spurs game, I was thinking the same thing.
Butter
General Manager

Post#10 » by Butter » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:31 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Would love to get Pat Williams of Kuminga but dont think we have the assets to get either team interested outside our UNP owed FRP and I wouldnt move that for either of these guys.

Memphis has 3 young SF (Zhaire, Roddy, LaRavia) - all are pretty much unproven but I would love to take a swing on any of the 3 if the cost was decent. A 3 way using Simons that brings us a future FRP and lands 1 of these 3 would be nice. I think all are better swings than Rupert (Who I just dont think has the juice athletically to have more than a minimal chance of panning out - I liked the pick dont get me wrong but its a swing that likely isnt going to hit).

Trey Murphy basically is the ideal fit if the guards hit like we hope - big SF who is a lights out 3PT guy and can score without dominating the ball or demanding high usage - but dont think NO would take anything we can realistically offer for him.

Would LOVE to but low on Poku - not a SF but a forward with unique talents who was finding his groove before injury last year.

Realistically the 2024 draft is where we find our SFOTF -but in the meantime a lower tier flyer like the MEM kids and Poku would be a great move IMO.

Given the OKC roster crunch I would think we could potentially get Poku into one of our TPE for a SRP and cash.

I really like Murphy
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 315

Post#11 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:01 am

I look forward to seeing how the veterans on the Blazers play — Ayton, Timelord, Grant, Thybulle, Brogdon, Simons.
Actual NBA players.

The not-in-trade-conversations — as a practical matter — are Scoot and Sharpe.
Everyone else? In development and/or bench guys and fun to see improvement.

The HOLE at 3 remains — since Batum in 2015, who was good (and a favorite of mine) but not to be confused with being anywhere near an all star but got paid.

Cronin’s next challenge is SF. Some size, D, and rebounding would be a nice change. I like Thybulle a lot as a 6th man SG/SF long-term. The Blazers have no “starter” right now. Maybe that dude is already on the team.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#12 » by zzaj » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:03 am

m0ng0 wrote:I would love to try and get Lofton jr from Memphis

I absolutely adore Lofton...he's behind Haliburton as my favorite player in the NBA. Dude just never makes a mistake. 100% BBIQ...now if he could just get his body right...

I don't know if he fits well with a future of Ayton or Time Lord either, but I sure love him.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 315

Post#13 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:33 am

Lofton as a PF/C at 6’7 with wingspan … minus 20 pounds … could be nice. Jabari needed to drop down from 12+ % body fat and build an NBA body … Murray is probably best as a SF as he develops … Reath is already 27 and deep bench …
Nice to have a couple guys with a trunk who can board.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#14 » by Sinobas » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:09 am

I'd like to get a PF and move Jerami to SF.
cheesehoff
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#15 » by cheesehoff » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 am

Sinobas wrote:I'd like to get a PF and move Jerami to SF.

:rockon:
cheesehoff
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#16 » by cheesehoff » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:39 am

Sinobas wrote:I'd like to get a PF and move Jerami to SF.

A long, defensive-minded, rebounding fool. Toronto and Brooklyn have a couple I'd love to see them acquire.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:36 pm

DFS would be a nice stopgap - Simons for DFS and a FRP (+ Maybe one of their 2023 FRP guys?) would be goo by me but it looks like we are unable to right the spell that requires Portland to run a backcourt where everyone is under 6'3.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,019

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:00 pm

I'm good for moves on a bit, let's just see what this team does.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,408

Post#19 » by Blazinaway » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:DFS would be a nice stopgap - Simons for DFS and a FRP (+ Maybe one of their 2023 FRP guys?) would be goo by me but it looks like we are unable to right the spell that requires Portland to run a backcourt where everyone is under 6'3.

Do we need a "stopgap" at this time with this young rebuilding team? We have guys like Camara and Murray, I like what little I've seen of Camara so far, perhaps let's look there first, if Camara is more of a PF then move Grant to SF, he likely can both defend either position and in today's somewhat positionless NBA having switchable guys is what you want
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#20 » by m0ng0 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:25 pm

I would be good with Walker at the PF today and Grant at the 3.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers