Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Re: SF Upgrade Targets 

Post#61 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:53 pm

Skybox wrote:Will you guys have cap space to throw at OG? He’s a nice fit, imo

If not, ORL has some for you to borrow :)

Depends. Would need to shed at least two of Brogdon/Ayton/Grant/Ant. Then we're going to have at least one lottery pick, possibly two. So have to add those higher capholds. Then we've got about 21 in capholds, non-draft related that we'd almost certainly waive. If we really needed a contract like Matisse is super easy to move as well. Just depends.

I have actually wondered whether or not Portland is going to try to clear capspace to go after OG, but who knows. I think they'll probably more likely aim for 2025/2026.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#62 » by GEE » Mon Jan 1, 2024 1:45 am

My favorite targets have not changed: Mark Williams (Grant) / Rui Hachimura (Brogden) / Ben Simmons (Ayton). How exactly, I'm not sure, but I would hope we can do this... or better.

Simons / Scoot
Sharpe / Thybulle
Simmons
Rui / TimeLord
M. Williams

Continue to add good draft picks, and continue to draft well. I think we are on the right path.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,868

Post#63 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 2:38 am

It'll be interesting to see what Portland does at the trade deadline but the likelihood of
pursuing a free agent is slim with a focus on the 2024 and 2025 drafts. Portland is not a
free destination
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,552

Post#64 » by zzaj » Thu Jan 4, 2024 7:43 am

Butter wrote:
zzaj wrote:Blazers have been playing Grant at SF a lot the past 10 or so games and (IMO) it’s showed. I still think the Blazers need to play 4 or 5 out with the PF being the corner position (instead of SF) and Walker as PF. He can hit C&S corner 3s, and he’s the best rebounding PF on the team.

I originally created this thread before Camara emerged. I don't see him becoming an All-Star, 25 pts a night guy, but I think he is already a consistent "glue guy" that winning teams need around their stars.

I'm ready to shift the focus to a PF upgrade. Maybe Walker becomes that over time, but I'd like to see a Buck Williams 2.0 type move.

Toumani certainly is certainly bringing it defensively, and paired with Grant it allows the Blazers to be near top of the league in switchability on defense. I see him more as an Aminu/Harkless type player, a connecting piece, which is good and important. Teams have to have those.

The issue the Blazers are facing is they don’t know if Scoot will be a skilled enough 3 level scorer to be a #1, if Sharpe will ever develop the acumen and mentality to take over games to be a #1, if Ant will round out his game enough that he ends up winning at least SOME possessions on the defensive end…
Scoot, Sharpe could very well be connecting pieces too, albeit high level ones. Ant is likely what he is—a tweener scorer who may never have the upper eschelon talent to be a #1 on a great team…

with

Scoot, Ant, Sharpe, Grant, Ayton (and for the time being) Brogdon — 5 or 6 players who need the ball in their hands to be most effective. It’s a wonky mix of players.

IMHO, the point of this season was investigative. You gotta find out what you have in your building blocks, and how those blocks are going to fit together long-term. So far I think Chauncey has done a really poor job of unraveling that.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#65 » by Butter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:26 am

Post trade Deadline, circling back to this thread.

Ant fans site his 3pt shooting. I'd like to trade Ant and upgrade the shooting from the SF spot.

Someone like Cameron Johnson from the Nets. Ant with Ben Simmons might be good.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#66 » by Norm2953 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:37 am

That player will likely come from the 2024 draft.

Ron Holland can't shoot might bring a Jerome Kersey element to next years Blazer team
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#67 » by GEE » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:14 am

In short... just want to say that I like the players we have now on our current roster, and think Cronin should be (somewhat?) commended, especially if one thinks back to what he inherited from Olshey not too long ago. The boatload of young talent, along with the decent amount of good draft picks we already have, and some solid Vets that are happy to be here... I'd say we are in pretty good shape, if we only had good health with all of our players.

I too think Grant is our guy at SF, and Ayton is clearly our starting 5. So I think our future depend heavily on RW3's health come next summer. If one just looks at what we currently have... If healthy, I think we are in a much better situation overall than some may think.

More minutes for the young guys like Walker, Murray, Scoot, Shaedon, Camara, Reath and the rest... with less for the Vets like Simons, Brogden, Grant, Thybulle and Ayton for the rest of the season would be just fine me.

Overall though, I'm feelin' pretty good if we are planning to run this back as a core next summer, and just let the cake bake.

Simons / Scoot
Brogden / Sharpe
Grant / Thybulle / TC
RW3 / Reath / Murray
Ayton / Walker / Brown

Just need to find the next Kobe in the draft... that's all ( :wink: ).
Butter
General Manager

Post#68 » by Butter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:42 pm

Norm2953 wrote:That player will likely come from the 2024 draft.

Ron Holland can't shoot might bring a Jerome Kersey element to next years Blazer team

I am really hoping the Blazers can use their picks to upgrade their front court. The top of the draft is pretty thin on PF/C options, so they will either have to pull the trigger with their own pick ( and possible reach a bit), or hope the board falls right with the GSW pick.
Butter
General Manager

Post#69 » by Butter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:46 pm

GEE wrote:In short... just want to say that I like the players we have now on our current roster, and think Cronin should be (somewhat?) commended, especially if one thinks back to what he inherited from Olshey not too long ago. The boatload of young talent, along with the decent amount of good draft picks we already have, and some solid Vets that are happy to be here... I'd say we are in pretty good shape, if we only had good health with all of our players.

I too think Grant is our guy at SF, and Ayton is clearly our starting 5. So I think our future depend heavily on RW3's health come next summer. If one just looks at what we currently have... If healthy, I think we are in a much better situation overall than some may think.

More minutes for the young guys like Walker, Murray, Scoot, Shaedon, Camara, Reath and the rest... with less for the Vets like Simons, Brogden, Grant, Thybulle and Ayton for the rest of the season would be just fine me.

Overall though, I'm feelin' pretty good if we are planning to run this back as a core next summer, and just let the cake bake.

Simons / Scoot
Brogden / Sharpe
Grant / Thybulle / TC
RW3 / Reath / Murray
Ayton / Walker / Brown

I've finalized my opinion that Simons just doesn't fit. And it's not about Brogdon, it's about Scoot. Scoot and Simons just cannot and should not be played together.

So if the Blazers do move Simons, where do they replace his 3pt shooting? If they target another SG, they make competition for Sharp.

They Blazers have redundant talent at SF right now. Bringing in a pure shooter at the three replaces what they lose with the move Simons and balances out the team.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#70 » by Goldbum » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:47 pm

Butter wrote:
GEE wrote:In short... just want to say that I like the players we have now on our current roster, and think Cronin should be (somewhat?) commended, especially if one thinks back to what he inherited from Olshey not too long ago. The boatload of young talent, along with the decent amount of good draft picks we already have, and some solid Vets that are happy to be here... I'd say we are in pretty good shape, if we only had good health with all of our players.

Simons / Scoot
Brogden / Sharpe
Grant / Thybulle / TC
RW3 / Reath / Murray
Ayton / Walker / Brown

I've finalized my opinion that Simons just doesn't fit. And it's not about Brogdon, it's about Scoot. Scoot and Simons just cannot and should not be played together.

So if the Blazers do move Simons, where do they replace his 3pt shooting? If they target another SG, they make competition for Sharp.

They Blazers have redundant talent at SF right now. Bringing in a pure shooter at the three replaces what they lose with the move Simons and balances out the team.

Orlando REALLY covets Ant. Some sort of 3 way that nets us Trey Murphy and draft assets make perfect sense. Maybe we get Anthony Black or WCJ, but I'm assuming WCJ would end up in NO... either way a guy like Murphy at SF could put us in a great situation going forward.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#71 » by red_power » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:12 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I am really hoping the Blazers can use their picks to upgrade their front court. The top of the draft is pretty thin on PF/C options, so they will either have to pull the trigger with their own pick ( and possible reach a bit), or hope the board falls right with the GSW pick.

I have no problems with seeing Blazers getting another wingman with our first pick. IMO you can safely consider Murray, Camara and Walker as full-time PFs in the modern NBA.
Cody Williams would have been a great fit next to Scoot and Shae. Not so sure about Risacher but he would be a nice addition nonetheless. Buzelis and Salaun appear to be decent role-player pickups sitting a bit later in the list.
There are options as we can see.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#72 » by Norm2953 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:01 pm

Jonathan Givony's newest ESPN 2024 draft ranking has Risacher, Sarr, Williams, Dillingham and Topic
in his top 5

I really get the impression that the 2024 draft looks to be like the 2023 draft, minus the hype for Wemby
and Scoot. Guys like Sarr will go in the top 3 for he appears to be a mobile defender but I'd still love to
draft one of the many big bodied PF types in this draft. Portland with 4 picks in the top 35 should be
to draft one of the many PF/C types in this draft
Butter
General Manager

Post#73 » by Butter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:46 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Jonathan Givony's newest ESPN 2024 draft ranking has Risacher, Sarr, Williams, Dillingham and Topic
in his top 5

I really get the impression that the 2024 draft looks to be like the 2023 draft, minus the hype for Wemby
and Scoot. Guys like Sarr will go in the top 3 for he appears to be a mobile defender but I'd still love to
draft one of the many big bodied PF types in this draft. Portland with 4 picks in the top 35 should be
to draft one of the many PF/C types in this draft

This is why I'd like to see them trade Ant for improved SF shooting.

However, when I compared Grant with Cam Johnson their numbers are almost identical.

https://fanspo.com/nba/compare-players/jerami-grant-203924/cameron-johnson-1629661
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 315

Post#74 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:39 pm

A good half of the recent contenders in the West — and their superstars — will age out by the time Scoot and Sharpe are ready to lead a real playoff team in 3-4 years. Losing now is the price for winning then.

[I’m speaking of the Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Suns]

This summer is huuuuge for what is gained from the high lottery pick, the Warriors’ pick, and returning players from trades. I like the Blazers’ veterans if they were put in cryogenic sleep until the youngsters mature. Brogdon and Thybulle should be moved this summer to contenders. Thybulle will be passed by Camara if that isn’t already the case. Move him. Simons vs. Scoot. That choice is coming soon enough … as I just cannot see them starting together for a contending team, and Simons has real value.

Grant — this summer — is keep or trade. This summer. He’s a month away from 30. It’s a tough calculation to have to make, but maximizing value and the Blazers future playoff run means tough choices.

Is he a dude at SF with Ayton, Sharpe, and Scoot for a sustained playoff run in 3-4 years? If not (and IMHO he’s not), then it’s a really busy summer.

Grant, Simons, Brogdon (but maybe not if Simons is traded), and Thybulle.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers