ImageImage

Watching the Blazers on TV 23-24

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

BigPuma
Sophomore
And1: 31

Watching the Blazers on TV 23-24 

Post#1 » by BigPuma » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:47 pm

Like many, I used to watch the Blazers on Root through comcast/infinity. Last year I kind of gave up on the blazers when they started tanking and cancelled my comcast and have been using a combination of streaming services and OTA DVR to meet my needs. My wallet is very happy with this change. I'm interested in watching the Blazers again this year and struggling finding any good options. I need to DVR many games so that was a requirement for me. Also interested in watching some other games so ESPN and TNT are important. Here is what I have found so far

1. If you live outside the Blazers blackout area for NBA league pass, obviously you just buy that for the season.
2. Comcast - I currently get internet from them for $56/month. Adding cable TV, sports package, and DVR would increase my bill to 168/month, so about $112 increase. This also gives you DVR, TNT and ESPN and in my experience picture quality is usually excellent. Some people report that if you haggle with them you might be able to get it for less.
3. Fubo - looks like it's about $85/month and includes ESPN and DVR but doesn't include TNT which is annoying for non-blazers games. I read some reviews that the UI is janky and the quality is not always great for watching on a large TV
4. Directv stream - package with Root is 99/month but going up to 108/month 11/5. Also get DVR, ESPN, TNT, locals. Didn't see any reviews about quality
5. League Pass with VPN - $16/month or $99/season plus cost of VPN. some people say this is super easy, others complained that it was difficult. Saw one person report that later last season league pass was forcing them to verify their location since a VPN was detected and it became a pain. Unclear how reliable this will be in the future. Obviously not totally ethical or legal.
6. League pass without VPN - $16/month or $99/season. looks like the blazers games are released 3 days after the game according to the fine print.
7. Pirated streams - seems like every message board has a couple people who say they can stream every game no problem with good quality, and many other people saying there are frequent needs to refresh, popup ads, and poor quality. Also, obviously not exactly legal and ethical

I'm honestly leaning toward doing league pass without VPN. I will just watch other teams I find interesting when I get the NBA itch, and catch blazers games either live, at a bar, or at a friend's house. Maybe watch some games on 3 day delay as well.

What are you guys doing?
Puma (as in Travis "The Puma" Outlaw)
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,562

Re: Watching the Blazers on TV 23-24 

Post#2 » by zzaj » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:28 pm

Ahoy, matey.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#3 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:30 pm

I'd get Direct TV stream
ImABlazerFan
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#4 » by ImABlazerFan » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:01 am

I use fubo with a big TV without quality issues. I just deal with not having TNT. It works pretty well and I have the same DVR requirement as you.
Just a diehard, life-long Blazer fan...
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#5 » by tester551 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:19 am

BigPuma wrote:Like many, I used to watch the Blazers on Root through comcast/infinity. Last year I kind of gave up on the blazers when they started tanking and cancelled my comcast and have been using a combination of streaming services and OTA DVR to meet my needs. My wallet is very happy with this change. I'm interested in watching the Blazers again this year and struggling finding any good options. I need to DVR many games so that was a requirement for me. Also interested in watching some other games so ESPN and TNT are important. Here is what I have found so far

1. If you live outside the Blazers blackout area for NBA league pass, obviously you just buy that for the season.
2. Comcast - I currently get internet from them for $56/month. Adding cable TV, sports package, and DVR would increase my bill to 168/month, so about $112 increase. This also gives you DVR, TNT and ESPN and in my experience picture quality is usually excellent. Some people report that if you haggle with them you might be able to get it for less.
3. Fubo - looks like it's about $85/month and includes ESPN and DVR but doesn't include TNT which is annoying for non-blazers games. I read some reviews that the UI is janky and the quality is not always great for watching on a large TV
4. Directv stream - package with Root is 99/month but going up to 108/month 11/5. Also get DVR, ESPN, TNT, locals. Didn't see any reviews about quality
5. League Pass with VPN - $16/month or $99/season plus cost of VPN. some people say this is super easy, others complained that it was difficult. Saw one person report that later last season league pass was forcing them to verify their location since a VPN was detected and it became a pain. Unclear how reliable this will be in the future. Obviously not totally ethical or legal.
6. League pass without VPN - $16/month or $99/season. looks like the blazers games are released 3 days after the game according to the fine print.
7. Pirated streams - seems like every message board has a couple people who say they can stream every game no problem with good quality, and many other people saying there are frequent needs to refresh, popup ads, and poor quality. Also, obviously not exactly legal and ethical

I'm honestly leaning toward doing league pass without VPN. I will just watch other teams I find interesting when I get the NBA itch, and catch blazers games either live, at a bar, or at a friend's house. Maybe watch some games on 3 day delay as well.

What are you guys doing?

Broadband League Pass

Also, there is nothing illegal about using a VPN. Honestly, it is probably better that you use it for all your internet activity regardless of what you are doing.

I understand the ethical argument against using a VPN. But that argument is rooted in the 1980's technology paradigm (ie - cable companies purchasing media rights to force customers to upgrade their packages) instead of the 2020's. Everyone complains how poorly these media companies treat their customers.... This is one way for the customer to fight back and force some change.
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#6 » by RTG HD » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:34 am

I recommend option 7 until the media rights are handled in a more reasonable way. I am willing to pay for content but it should not be handled like a hostage situation.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#7 » by monopoman » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:27 am

Yep, I see nothing wrong with trying alternative means to watch games when Root sports is so damn hard to get. Though the Blazers have come forward and are very upset that Xfinity has moved it to a higher tier package. We will see if something comes of this, but it's bs how hard it is to watch your local NBA team when TV cable or dish is slowly dying.

As someone that has tried option #7 it's far better than people think just get a good ad blocker because the ads can be extremely annoying and potentially dangerous.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,183

Post#8 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:53 am

Root sports sucks and I encourage no one to get them money, as customers we can only speak with our wallet.
BigPuma
Sophomore

Post#9 » by BigPuma » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:43 am

monopoman wrote:Yep, I see nothing wrong with trying alternative means to watch games when Root sports is so damn hard to get. Though the Blazers have come forward and are very upset that Xfinity has moved it to a higher tier package. We will see if something comes of this, but it's bs how hard it is to watch your local NBA team when TV cable or dish is slowly dying.

As someone that has tried option #7 it's far better than people think just get a good ad blocker because the ads can be extremely annoying and potentially dangerous.

The Blazers "being upset" does nothing for me. They took the maximum money from Root sports, knowing that Root would have to maximize revenue to make it work financially. If the blazers actually put up some money to make games more available I will be impressed. Until then it is just empty words.

I think I might carefully dip my toes in #7. If that goes poorly I will use the free trial week of league pass and free trial week of fubo and then make a decision.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#10 » by Shem » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:10 am

I made adjustments to my Xfinity bill to add the ultimate package that includes Root Sports and Root Sports+. In the end when working with a customer service rep, I'm now paying $2 less a month. So somethings you just have to be creative in your plan.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,785

Post#11 » by Case2012 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:59 am

I've been going with pirate streams for over a decade. I don't feel bad about it at all.
Instagram: @casetwelve
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,562

Post#12 » by zzaj » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:15 pm

I'll chime in again to say that the ONLY time I haven't sailed the seven seas was when you didn't need cable to watch games (yes, a long time ago) and a few years ago when Hulu had a deal with the NBA. That was great because you could rewatch every game in the league at your leisure and it was part of my upgraded Hulu package. In the in-between years of 'rabbit ears' to internet streaming I mostly watched in bars or went to games.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#13 » by Pattycakes » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:46 pm

So if you were going to stream

But not west, what direction would be the opposite of west?

Hint hint.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#14 » by m0ng0 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:39 pm

I have cut the cord on everything except discovery+ so I guess I'm good with the radio.
Chanse503
Senior
And1: 11

Post#15 » by Chanse503 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:12 am

Just type in Reddit NBA stream live
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#16 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:47 am

What channel is Fox 12 Plus on Xfinity?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#17 » by monopoman » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:08 pm

Chanse503 wrote:Just type in Reddit NBA stream live

There actually is a great website that has links to every sporting event as it happens, with like 30 streams for each one to choose from with the best streams being at the top. That might get you NBA games but if you do watch other sports this will help you with that, while having the NBA also.

I can't really post it here but if someone messages me I will send it.

Also to discuss one way to do it that requires more hoops to jump through but is completely legit you can get league pass and a VPN which allows you to make it seem like you are in other countries. At that point you could watch any game you want, because they would think you were located in Sweden or some other European country based on your IP address.
BigPuma
Sophomore

Post#18 » by BigPuma » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:32 am

I heard a rumor that Fubo is not too strict about sharing accounts, and you can watch on up to 3 screens at once. So if you can find 1 or 2 people to share with, Fubo becomes a reasonably economical choice at $43/month. I haven't tried it myself.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Post#19 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:22 pm

I plan on just catching the games streamed on NBA TV, nationally broadcast games (likely at a sports bar), and watching the highlight YouTube videos for the rest.

For those in the blackout area that want to watch games, consider getting a VPN and League Pass.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,139

Post#20 » by Effigy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:31 am

I will be watching on Comcast. Going to get league pass too since it’s only $100 for the season.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers