SEASON OPENER Portland vs. Clippers 7:30pm Wednsday Root,Root+ 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:47 pm

vs.

Time: 7:30pm
Place: Los Angeles
TV: Root, Root+

GLB of the game Becky G

Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,785

Re: SEASON OPENER Portland vs. Clippers 7:30pm Wednsday Root,Root+ 

Post#2 » by Case2012 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:40 am

I have nothing positive to say other than Becky G is a goddess. We're gonna lose by 20 at least. Have fun watching this dumpster fire organization.
Instagram: @casetwelve
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#3 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:20 am

Has Portland officially named their starting lineup?
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#4 » by GEE » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:17 am

Norm2953 wrote:Has Portland officially named their starting lineup?

I think the short answer is "No", and I'm as eager as anyone to see Chauncey's initial roster rotation for this coming season. It should be interesting to see because I for one, would go with a much different lineup than just about everyone on here I think... IF... we are trying to win games right now (Not Tanking / Done seeking assets at the cost of wins). I think we are. The notion that we will suck on purpose was a very foreign thing to all of us Blazer fans, so don't get used to it... We are done with sucking.

IF... We are trying to win now (And I strongly believe we are), I think our top 9 looks much different than if we are trying to focus more on development of players vs. Win every game we can. Or the obvious WildCard being the Vulcans, and if they will have the same control they seem to have had in the past, putting Making Money as the Ultimate Priority, making winning a Championship a seemingly far distant second risk not really worth taking.

MY 9:
Brogden / Scoot
Simons / Sharpe
Grant / Thybulle
TimeLord
Ayton / Walker
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,880

Post#5 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:35 am

Chauncey told reporters on Monday that he's likely set with his starting lineup as Scoot/Simons/Thybulle/Grant/Ayton.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#6 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:01 am

Most likely for TL didn't play one minute in the pre-season and Brogdon has only played in one
game (12 minutes)

I do think the roster is a work in progress and its possible Ish Wainwright might get a few minutes for
Chauncey doesn't know what he'll get from Walker, Camara and Murray.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#7 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:11 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Most likely for TL didn't play one minute in the pre-season and Brogdon has only played in one
game (12 minutes)

I do think the roster is a work in progress and its possible Ish Wainwright might get a few minutes for

Pretty sure Billups is familiar with Walker. He's seen enough of the other two to have an idea what to expect. He also needs backup players at both forward positions so someone will get some time. Maybe he switches it up from night to night though.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#8 » by Pattycakes » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:14 pm

Think we’ll win by 10. Think we look good. Think we surpass expectations over a season.

Either way, man will it be exciting.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#9 » by zzaj » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:21 pm

This season is all about 2 things for me:

1) Scoot. Develop. Develop. More develop. What is his ceiling? What is his 3pt shot going to realistically be? What is his defense going to realistically be? How will he respond to losing and opposition?

2) Sharpe. What is his motor/motivation level? Can he be a high level complimentary piece? Does he need the ball in his hands to be effective? Can he commit to being an above average defender?

The rest: Ayton, Simons, Chauncey, Timelord, Brogdon, the rest...I don't really care much about. I do have my eye on Camara, however.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#10 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:10 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Most likely for TL didn't play one minute in the pre-season and Brogdon has only played in one
game (12 minutes)

Pretty sure Billups is familiar with Walker. He's seen enough of the other two to have an idea what to expect. He also needs backup players at both forward positions so someone will get some time. Maybe he switches it up from night to night though.

Walker did play last season in Portland and appeared in 56 games, averaging 11 mpg.

Whether that inspires confidence in Walker is another matter for other than Grant, Chauncey has a lot of
front court minutes to fill after Jerami plays his 35 mpg. Thybulle is his starter by default and its likely
Sharpe will see some time at SF, if Brogdon and TL are available to play.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#11 » by m0ng0 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:40 pm

Walker is a double double machine today, I would start him at the 4 and let Grant play the 3 and let Thy come off the bench.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,575

Post#12 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:52 pm

What's your rotation/lineup looking like to start the season?

Will Robert Williams split time with Ayton?
Thank you, Rick Brunson.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,946

Post#13 » by Rainwater » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:52 pm

GEE wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Has Portland officially named their starting lineup?

I think the short answer is "No", and I'm as eager as anyone to see Chauncey's initial roster rotation for this coming season. It should be interesting to see because I for one, would go with a much different lineup than just about everyone on here I think... IF... we are trying to win games right now (Not Tanking / Done seeking assets at the cost of wins). I think we are. The notion that we will suck on purpose was a very foreign thing to all of us Blazer fans, so don't get used to it... We are done with sucking.

IF... We are trying to win now (And I strongly believe we are), I think our top 9 looks much different than if we are trying to focus more on development of players vs. Win every game we can. Or the obvious WildCard being the Vulcans, and if they will have the same control they seem to have had in the past, putting Making Money as the Ultimate Priority, making winning a Championship a seemingly far distant second risk not really worth taking.

MY 9:
Brogden / Scoot
Simons / Sharpe
Grant / Thybulle
TimeLord
Ayton / Walker

There is no way that Portland is trying to win now.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#14 » by GEE » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:56 pm

Starting Walker / Ayton at the 4&5 would suit me just fine, even with a healthy TL. I'm more worried about the Vulcans and this organization as a whole, seeing the Dame-era as a complete $ucce$$, and eager to repeat the same with Scoot. Hope I'm wrong cause if he starts, the huge optimism I currently have for this new Blazer team, will feel like a cold wet blanket.
m0ng0
Senior

Post#15 » by m0ng0 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:21 pm

Scoot, Ant, Grant, Walker and Ayton is my starting 5
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,014

Post#16 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 pm

If Walker was in NBA shape I would be down with starting him at the 4. I just dont buy it. IDK if he has poor genetics or poor conditioning work ethic but he shouldnt look the way he does.

He is wasting some good talent as a innate rebounder and decent enough 3PT guy by not rounding his body into shape. I am only being hard on him because I really like his skillset.

Starting Walker / Ayton at the 4&5 would suit me just fine, even with a healthy TL. I'm more worried about the Vulcans and this organization as a whole, seeing the Dame-era as a complete $ucce$$, and eager to repeat the same with Scoot. Hope I'm wrong cause if he starts, the huge optimism I currently have for this new Blazer team, will feel like a cold wet blanket.

Prepare to be damp all season. We are developing while not bottoming out to keep fans interested, but make no mistake development is the name of the game.

I am not sure why you would be excited over the potential treadmill of a win-now mind frame. This league is about top level talent, not heady middle tier vets. We dont have the top end talent to compete, now or in the future. We need more high picks. Even if Scoot and Sharpe hit 100% we need more high end talent - and chances are life wont be so easy for us and both wont hit like we hope.

Its pretty clear when you look around the league that contending teams are not simply hardworking, blue collar squads ripe with quality depth (Something that you seem to be a fan of).

Stars. This league is driven by stars, and you dont win without stars. Small market teams get stars in the draft. Our only hope is high picks. Full stop.
m0ng0
Senior

Post#17 » by m0ng0 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:45 pm

I think you are wrong and truly STARS can't be STARS until they play games, I see Walker as a Buck Williams, Brian Grant which were never STARS. just a solid garbage man who gets boards by...I hope to prove you wrong.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,014

Post#18 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:46 pm

m0ng0 wrote:I think you are wrong and truly STARS can't be STARS until they play games, I see Walker as a Buck Williams, Brian Grant which were never STARS. just a solid garbage man who gets boards by...I hope to prove you wrong.

Buck averaged around 15ppg until he hit his age 32 season. I highly doubt Walker will be anywhere near that. Grant is a nice comparison in terms of overall talent level IMO - but Grant was a demon early on with his hustle. Walker is good there - but not Brian Grant level. On the other hand, Walker is likely to be a better rebounder than Grant given the PT.

Yes, you need Buck and Grant type role players - but we are talking the Kevon Looneys to ones Curry / Klay / Green. 'Around the edged' guys that round a roster. If you dont have that high end talent, it doesnt matter if you have 10 Brian Grants. Hell, 15 Brian Grants.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#19 » by Pattycakes » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:33 pm

Walker seems like a 4/5 big in your rotation, idk what I’m missing.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#20 » by PDXKnight » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:38 am

Pattycakes wrote:Think we’ll win by 10. Think we look good. Think we surpass expectations over a season.

Either way, man will it be exciting.

I also think we surpass expectations but only by a little. Will be a definite learning curve

Return to Portland Trail Blazers