Simons Out 4-6 Weeks!

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,104

Re: Simons Out 4-6 Weeks! 

Post#21 » by Effigy » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:20 pm

zzaj wrote:
Effigy wrote:Semi serious question, if it's just his thumb, couldn't we tape it up and let him play reserve minutes in a defense-only role? Lord knows he needs the practice.

Bro, this ain't the 1960s...even though I love the idea. With so much litigation in our culture now and the high stakes of a hundreds of millions of dollars playing career, teams just don't take those chances any more--even if it's a relatively minor thumb injury. All it takes is for it to get knocked, both tendons to get ripped all the way, another surgery, stabalizer cast on his shooting hand for a couple of months, a month to get flexion back. By then maybe he gets the "yips" on his shot, and things start going sideways or team dynamics totally change...it's better just to trust the doctor's orders.

You should watch the NFL sometime. They tape guys back up and send them in all the time. Even Concussions that they're supposedly serious about, the players and teams both do the bare minimum to ensure the player can get back out ASAP.

I know they're never going to do my semi-serious question, but it's not for that reason.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#22 » by zzaj » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:02 pm

Effigy wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Effigy wrote:Semi serious question, if it's just his thumb, couldn't we tape it up and let him play reserve minutes in a defense-only role? Lord knows he needs the practice.

Bro, this ain't the 1960s...even though I love the idea. With so much litigation in our culture now and the high stakes of a hundreds of millions of dollars playing career, teams just don't take those chances any more--even if it's a relatively minor thumb injury. All it takes is for it to get knocked, both tendons to get ripped all the way, another surgery, stabalizer cast on his shooting hand for a couple of months, a month to get flexion back. By then maybe he gets the "yips" on his shot, and things start going sideways or team dynamics totally change...it's better just to trust the doctor's orders.

You should watch the NFL sometime. They tape guys back up and send them in all the time. Even Concussions that they're supposedly serious about, the players and teams both do the bare minimum to ensure the player can get back out ASAP.

I know they're never going to do my semi-serious question, but it's not for that reason.

You know you're right about that...

I don't watch Football, but my sense is that certainly there are other sports where "rub some dirt on it" is more of a thing. I wonder if it's deeper than just the culture surrounding the sport--like if there are some actual contractual medical obligations that are different sport to sport.

And of course the NBA came out with it's "we found no scientific value in resting players" pseudo-science--which of course is all a big revenue grab for star players playing. NBA is going to get reeeeeal interesting as soon as they start demanding that players play through pain in order to have a Kawhi sighting in the POs.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#23 » by monopoman » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:22 pm

Effigy wrote:
zzaj wrote:

Part of that is because it seems like every NFL game there is at least 3 injuries between both teams. The amount of injuries you see in that sport is so much more than in the NBA it's unreal.
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#24 » by rusoopE » Wed Nov 1, 2023 10:33 pm

Hi blazers nation. Just wondering what/if you willing to trade Simmons to the magic. What would you ask ? (Just no Paolo nor Franz) I'm reading you guys.
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#25 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Nov 1, 2023 11:03 pm

rusoopE wrote:Hi blazers nation. Just wondering what/if you willing to trade Simmons to the magic. What would you ask ? (Just no Paolo nor Franz) I'm reading you guys.
For draft pick compensation, I think most of us would be happy to chat.

I think Simons would be a great player if he played alongside a big defensive oriented backcourt pairing, e.g. a Ben Simmons.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,018

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:30 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
rusoopE wrote:Hi blazers nation. Just wondering what/if you willing to trade Simmons to the magic. What would you ask ? (Just no Paolo nor Franz) I'm reading you guys.

I think Simons would be a great player if he played alongside a big defensive oriented backcourt pairing, e.g. a Ben Simmons.

Yep. I don't think Paolo or Franz would be a required to move Simons to Orlando.

At this point, I'm pretty concerned about his overall durability after last year then legit 2/3 games into this season...

Salary filler (Fultz and Suggs?) and 2 FRP's would get the deal done for me, don't even have to be great picks. The 2025 DEN and that 2026 PHX/WAS FRP.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#27 » by DC_Melo » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:16 am

I wish Simons a speedy and healthy recovery!

Hoping to continue seeing Sharpe thrive with the increased minutes.

Intrigued on how things will look when he returns…
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,760

Post#28 » by Skybox » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:49 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:

Yep. I don't think Paolo or Franz would be a required to move Simons to Orlando.

At this point, I'm pretty concerned about his overall durability after last year then legit 2/3 games into this season...

Salary filler (Fultz and Suggs?) and 2 FRP's would get the deal done for me, don't even have to be great picks. The 2025 DEN and that 2026 PHX/WAS FRP.

Suggs is NOT salary filler, he's the defensive-minded young guard that plays next to Ant. Fultz is $17m expiring, add Chuma Okeke who is a young rotation guy who plays solid D, moves the ball and, sometimes, can shoot. Think Nassir Little's replacement but, at worst, salary filler. I'd much rather expand to include G. Harris and more and shoot for Simons and Time Lord (who is a good backup for Ayton, but really can't play next to him). A valuable ORL 24 frp (top 5) and a less valuable but still good DEN 25 frp...you guys get solid backcourt vets...you might even want Fultz to start for now and G. Harris is a rock-solid 3&D, no mistake vet...both are expiring salaries totalling $30m.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#29 » by DusterBuster » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:58 pm

Skybox wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:For draft pick compensation, I think most of us would be happy to chat.

Suggs is NOT salary filler, he's the defensive-minded young guard that plays next to Ant. Fultz is $17m expiring, add Chuma Okeke who is a young rotation guy who plays solid D, moves the ball and, sometimes, can shoot. Think Nassir Little's replacement but, at worst, salary filler. I'd much rather expand to include G. Harris and more and shoot for Simons and Time Lord (who is a good backup for Ayton, but really can't play next to him). A valuable ORL 24 frp (top 5) and a less valuable but still good DEN 25 frp...you guys get solid backcourt vets...you might even want Fultz to start for now and G. Harris is a rock-solid 3&D, no mistake vet...both are expiring salaries totalling $30m.

Take a deep breath bro. I know legit nothing about the Magic. I don’t know who you all consider salary filler and who you don’t, hence the question mark in my parentheses.

So again, a FRP or two and salary filler……. Whhhhhhoooooever that is….. would be fine.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,760

Post#30 » by Skybox » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:42 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Skybox wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Take a deep breath bro. I know legit nothing about the Magic. I don’t know who you all consider salary filler and who you don’t, hence the question mark in my parentheses.

So again, a FRP or two and salary filler……. Whhhhhhoooooever that is….. would be fine.

CAPS were meant as emphasis, not aggression. nothing more
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#31 » by Red Robot » Sat Nov 4, 2023 7:32 pm

Hard to know how much the Blazers value Simons, but I'd personally do Ant for Harris, Ingles, and the '24 Orl 1st.

Orlando gets a long-term starter, Portland gets a prospect in the draft and a couple vets to help the young guys develop.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#32 » by DusterBuster » Sun Nov 5, 2023 4:46 am

Red Robot wrote:Hard to know how much the Blazers value Simons, but I'd personally do Ant for Harris, Ingles, and the '24 Orl 1st.

Orlando gets a long-term starter, Portland gets a prospect in the draft and a couple vets to help the young guys develop.

Same. At this point, I’m pretty concerned for his long term viability to not be injury prone.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#33 » by m0ng0 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 5:05 am

Scoot has been injured twice since summer league
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by DC_Melo » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:26 pm

Effigy wrote:
zzaj wrote:

The NFL is not a good comparison for this issue.

1. 17 game season means players only get 17 opportunities to earn their next payday. Players that don’t have star status or a long contract will damn near sacrifice their organs to get on the field in game day.

2. It also means every single game is crucial for making the postseason. Teams are heavily incentivized to get their best players out there as much as possible.

3. Contracts are not guaranteed for most players, while larger contracts typically get only partial guarantees. It’s play or get cut for most players, especially the defensive players that you see running around with arm casts.

Ultimately, there is much more at stake during each regular season football game - for both the players and the teams/organizations- than there is in any RS basketball game.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,104

Post#35 » by Effigy » Sun Nov 5, 2023 3:25 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
Effigy wrote:
zzaj wrote:

1. 17 game season means players only get 17 opportunities to earn their next payday. Players that don’t have star status or a long contract will damn near sacrifice their organs to get on the field in game day.

2. It also means every single game is crucial for making the postseason. Teams are heavily incentivized to get their best players out there as much as possible.

3. Contracts are not guaranteed for most players, while larger contracts typically get only partial guarantees. It’s play or get cut for most players, especially the defensive players that you see running around with arm casts.

Ultimately, there is much more at stake during each regular season football game - for both the players and the teams/organizations- than there is in any RS basketball game.

I think you may be misunderstanding the point we were making. The previous poster said that if we asked Simmons to tape up his thumb and only play defense it could cause him to reinjure it and open us up to law suits. I brought up the NFL as an example because they do much worse than just tape up a finger every day and they aren’t sued for it. Those are the same things in that regard. A judge isn’t going to say it’s ok in the nfl but not in the nba because those games mean more.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by DC_Melo » Sun Nov 5, 2023 3:40 pm

Effigy wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:
Effigy wrote:

I think you may be misunderstanding the point we were making. The previous poster said that if we asked Simmons to tape up his thumb and only play defense it could cause him to reinjure it and open us up to law suits. I brought up the NFL as an example because they do much worse than just tape up a finger every day and they aren’t sued for it. Those are the same things in that regard. A judge isn’t going to say it’s ok in the nfl but not in the nba because those games mean more.

Gotcha. I appreciate u clarifying.

I still don’t know that the NFL is a good comparison tho, because their players union isn't going to litigate the way the NBA union does… mainly due to the legal differences in contracts. Most NBA contracts are guaranteed, while few NFL ones are even partially guaranteed. NFL players put themselves out there with far more voluntarily risks than NBA players do.

In short… no, judges wouldn’t rule differently, but the NFL players and unions have much less they are able to legally litigate due to the conditions of a much more owner friend CBA

Return to Portland Trail Blazers