Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Re: Game 3: Portland vs Philadelphia 4:30pm Root, Root+ 

Post#21 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:02 am

Pattycakes wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:That might be better in the short term but long term we need our young players to build chemistry. That of course carries the risk a player like Ayton losing interest but I think it's the better option for the moment.

It's not an easy decision for Chauncey but watching Scoot is like watching one of those rookie QB's
and in the early season, he's like a deer in headlights.

Perhaps if Chauncey went with Brogdon, Sharpe, Grant, TL and Ayton, things would go better. I'd still
like to see Scoot get his minutes, but perhaps what he needs is to come off the bench and get some
time against the opponent's bench.

I agree w this. I don’t think starting him right now is going to help him build his confidence at all. Which is pretty much the X factor.

I disagree. Keep starting him and let him learn in the fire. Giving malcolm minutes does little for this team's growth moving forward, let Scoot gel with the starting lineup so heading into next year we are in good shape. Malcolm will no doubt find his role either way and is a proven 6th man
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#22 » by zzaj » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:27 am

None of us are obviously in a position to make the call of whether having Scoot come off the bench is a good idea or a bad one. That’s entirely determined by the type of head that’s on Scoot’s shoulders and his relationship with his coaches. Some players could deal with that, others couldn’t.

Yes, it’s stupidly early. No, these games are not any kind of real indicator of the player Scoot can become…

But we’re lying to ourselves if we say he’s not been a MASSIVE disappointment so far. Between the minutes we saw in preseason, the “he’s ready to make an impact right away because he’s been running NBA PnR in the Ignite”, to “he’d be the #1 pick in most drafts if not for Wemby”, to “I’m ready to dominate” and “rookie of the year” talk from the kid himself…I think what we’ve seen so far is a couple of tiers down from what all of us were at least expecting.

He doesn’t look like that close to a starting NBA player right now, which hurts from a #2 pick and even more so when you essentially capitulated from a Top 50 player all-time in order to prioritize him.

Still…I believe. This is about 2027 and the whole decade of the 2030s.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#23 » by Norm2953 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:54 am

PDXKnight wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
It's not an easy decision for Chauncey but watching Scoot is like watching one of those rookie QB's

Perhaps if Chauncey went with Brogdon, Sharpe, Grant, TL and Ayton, things would go better. I'd still
like to see Scoot get his minutes, but perhaps what he needs is to come off the bench and get some

I agree w this. I don’t think starting him right now is going to help him build his confidence at all. Which is pretty much the X factor.

I disagree. Keep starting him and let him learn in the fire. Giving malcolm minutes does little for this team's growth moving forward, let Scoot gel with the starting lineup so heading into next year we are in good shape. Malcolm will no doubt find his role either way and is a proven 6th man

Giving Malcolm minutes however does help in mid December when all trade restrictions on Malcolm
come off.

Mid December is also when Ant comes back. If Malcolm is playing well and Scoot has gotten his feet
under him, Portland can move Malcolm to a contender.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#24 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:31 pm

Shem wrote:Watching Scoot so far is going to take a lot of patience. He's got that deer in the headlights look along with a broken jump shot.
Yep definitely. It's early days, but he really looks like a rookie (which he is). I expected him to be more NBA ready, but it looks like he'll need time, and probably an offseason or two to help put it together.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#25 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:33 pm

Toumani Camara has really impressed me (even with his poor efficiency tonight). He's a jack of all trades player who looks very versatile and capable on defense. Quickly becoming one of my favourite players to watch on both sides of the court.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#26 » by m0ng0 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:57 pm

Camara and Walker look good, Scoot is a rookie, Grant is a ghost, Ayton is what he is which appears to be overrated, Sharpe is developing, Brogdon is too good for this team and will get moved hopefully for maximum value
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#27 » by zzaj » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:13 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

Giving Malcolm minutes however does help in mid December when all trade restrictions on Malcolm
come off.

Mid December is also when Ant comes back. If Malcolm is playing well and Scoot has gotten his feet
under him, Portland can move Malcolm to a contender.

Just a guess, and it's a small thing...but if Ant had surgery on his thumb last week and recovery is 4-6 weeks...he probably isn't going to really be in games until start of January. Thumb is too important for basketball. UCL tears can be tricky too because that ligament (along with the RCL) are what give the thumb stability...at least according to my wife.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#28 » by red_power » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:23 pm

I know it's a short time span, but are we the worst team in the NBA right now? Despite some silver lining in Shae and the bench, this team appears to be a haphazard uncompetitive mess overall.
Scoot plays really bad. Ayton looks odd and lost. Grant and Thybulle turned to be straight chuckers. Overall this team plays bad inefficient offense and no defense whatsoever.
Billups MUST figure it out somewhat or his career as an NBA head coach will be over really soon.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,525

Post#29 » by Pattycakes » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:04 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

Let him suck against scrubs enough games and man’s will have that Markelle Fultz confidence.. I don’t trust Chauncey enough to make the call. Starting him just cause is pretty silly logic.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,341

Post#30 » by Shem » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:08 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Shem wrote:Watching Scoot so far is going to take a lot of patience. He's got that deer in the headlights look along with a broken jump shot.
Yep definitely. It's early days, but he really looks like a rookie (which he is). I expected him to be more NBA ready, but it looks like he'll need time, and probably an offseason or two to help put it together.

Me too. I was expecting a bit more maturity from Scoot. Especially all the hype he got.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
m0ng0
Senior

Post#31 » by m0ng0 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:28 pm

You all created those expectations
m0ng0
Senior

Post#32 » by m0ng0 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:30 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
. Why? I asked this question. Many many moons ago is the G league better than college?
Shem
RealGM

Post#33 » by Shem » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:08 pm

m0ng0 wrote:You all created those expectations

So the media didn't?
April 4, 2014:

m0ng0
Senior

Post#34 » by m0ng0 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:21 pm

Shem wrote:

So the media didn't?

C'mon man, you are a grown up aren't you?
Shem
RealGM

Post#35 » by Shem » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:56 pm

m0ng0 wrote:
Shem wrote:

So the media didn't?

C'mon man, you are a grown up aren't you?

No, I'm not a grownup. I'm a child who shouldn't be here even though my signup date is in 2009 and I have a teenaged daughter.

But know this. Once you start insulting people (you insulting me in this case), it's a sign you lost the argument. To take the L and move on pal. You're way out of your league here.
April 4, 2014:

m0ng0
Senior

Post#36 » by m0ng0 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:49 am

Oh goody I lost....I was not insulting you unless I guess I was, I dunno but if the media is your thing than all the power to you. I hope you have a long and fulfilling life...much love

Return to Portland Trail Blazers