No, we should give him more time.
No votes

Total votes: 9

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,106

Who should we replace Chauncey with? 

Post#1 » by Effigy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 pm

This board doesn't often agree, but I think almost all of us concede that Chauncey needs to go. Who would you replace him with of the realistic options? I have to think the biggest name guys aren't going to want any part of us. So Kenny Atkinson is going to wait out Kerr's retirement, or at least a better situation than us. Likewise the bigger named former head coaches like Mike Budenholzer and Doc Rivers probably won't have any interest in coming here.

I would think the number one criteria we'd be looking for is someone with experience. No more rookie head coaches. Ideally someone with experience developing young talent.

Oddly enough we already have such a candidate on the bench, Scott Brooks. But right now it's hard to want to go with anyone already on the staff that is so awful. What's he going to add as a head coach that he isn't adding as an assistant?

I think it's important to keep in mind, that whoever we hire, their only job is to develop the young players and ideally get them to play defense. I know somebody rolled their eyes when I mentioned Doc Rivers and said 'we don't want him, he's a choker'. We are so far away from that being relevant that it's not even worth bringing up.

Anyway, a quick look at assistant coaches around the league who fit the experience criteria at least, and I see:

Mo Cheeks (lol)
Luke Walton
Tyrone Corbin
Brian Shaw
Terry Stotts (lol again)
Scott Brooks
David Fizdale
Brett Brown

Probably some I missed, and doesn't take into account the former coaches who aren't currently working as assistants.

There's also some current assistant coaches out there with college experience such as Kevin Ollie and Jim Boylen.

Brett Brown's name really jumps out at me from that list, personally, but I'd be curious to know what you guys think?

I think personally I'd fire Chauncey and give the team to Brooks and re-assess at the end of the year.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Re: Who should we replace Chauncey with? 

Post#2 » by zzaj » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:15 pm

I posed this question in another thread...

It's just so hard to know. Coaching circles are their own specialized inner world. There are tons of inner workings that we'd just never know anything about.

Some coaches are great at running efficient practices, some are great at in-game management, some are great at player-relationships, some are great at player-skill development. It's INCREDIBLY rare to find somebody that is good at all of the above, and even rarer to find somebody who understands that, and can check their ego enough to find the right assistants to make up for their own blindspots.

Coupla things:

Players thrive on consistency. It's really all they want in their lives because it's what they've been fed since they started playing sports--Consistency = Success.

Somebody else said it, and it's true. Good former players very rarely make good NBA coaches. I think being an elite coach and an elite player require two entirely different psyches.

As much as I hate to say it, somebody like a Nate Macmillan (since the Blazers aren't trying to win) could be helpful for the Blazers.
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#3 » by soobias » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:23 pm

i want someone who run's a motion offense and assistants that are good at player dev.
players need to learn how,when and where to move to create open looks for themselves and other ppl.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,520

Post#4 » by Pattycakes » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:39 am

I don’t agree he needs to go. Y’all the same people who already were convinced we’d suck this year.

Let them suck and let Chauncey learn from it too. He’s clearly a bright human and a good man at that. Throwing some old head in here just for the sake of it won’t suddenly develop us.. I definitely don’t see him getting fired for at least 2 full seasons. Nice to think about it tho
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#5 » by RTG HD » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:28 pm

Some more coaches worth taking a look at possibly:
Mike Budenholzer
Becky Hammon
Terry Porter
RTG HD
Rookie

Post#6 » by RTG HD » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:32 pm

I do find it interesting that after only 4 games there is already a thread on the general board about Scoot being a bust. Yeah he has struggled so far but some of the claims about him over there are absurd. Anyway I think having a good coach is important for the development of the young guys and the more we can win the better as it will boost their confidence. Once a team gets used to losing it is hard to turn the ship around and get that winning mentality going again.
NBAFAN001
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#7 » by NBAFAN001 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:10 pm

Premature ejaculation thread!!!. 4 games into the season and we're already calling Scoot a bust and firing Billups. lol
Atm, all we need is a coach that teaches our youths with a lot of patience. Billups fits that profile.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#8 » by JRoy » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:22 pm

NBAFAN001 wrote:Premature ejaculation thread!!!. 4 games into the season and we're already calling Scoot a bust and firing Billups. lol
Atm, all we need is a coach that teaches our youths with a lot of patience. Billups fits that profile.

Some of us have wanted Billups gone for a long time.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:46 pm

Likely in the off season but I'd to see a coaching staff heavy in teaching fundamentals for
there will be a steady stream of young players, who will need to be coached up.

Jim Moran who will be the Rip City Remix head coach this season, has been around the
organization since 2014 with a stint in Detroit for 3 seasons. He might be a guy to
keep an eye on as an assistant coach for 2024/5
RTG HD
Rookie

Post#10 » by RTG HD » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:00 pm

NBAFAN001 wrote:Premature ejaculation thread!!!. 4 games into the season and we're already calling Scoot a bust and firing Billups. lol

I don't see Blazer fans calling Scoot a bust but fans of other teams are saying it.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#11 » by JRoy » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:29 pm

RTG HD wrote:

I don't see Blazer fans calling Scoot a bust but fans of other teams are saying it.

I’m not necessarily calling him a bust but he looks awful.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
RTG HD
Rookie

Post#12 » by RTG HD » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:37 pm

JRoy wrote:
RTG HD wrote:

Zach Randolph looked awful his rookie season too. Hopefully Scoot turns it around sooner. I prefer with a new coach. I disliked the Billups hiring before his first game as head coach.
NBAFAN001
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#13 » by NBAFAN001 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:09 pm

JRoy wrote:
RTG HD wrote:

No surprise here, at least for me. Looks like a 19 year old that comes to the NBA with high expectations. We will gradually see improvement and later consistency. He'll be just fine by the end of the season.
RTG HD
Rookie

Post#14 » by RTG HD » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:19 pm

NBAFAN001 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
RTG HD wrote:

No surprise here, at least for me. Looks like a 19 year old that comes to the NBA with high expectations. We will gradually see improvement and later consistency. He'll be just fine by the end of the season.

I hope you are right but I thought he would be at least a little better in the first 4 games. All of his flaws so far seem fixable at least. Part of why I want a better head coach to help teach him.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers