ImageImage

What to do with Shae when Simons returns?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

What will Shae’s role be when Simons returns

1. Simons will start at PG alongside Shae while we slow things down with Scoot and ease him off the bench
33%
2. Scoot, Simons, and Shae all start, Thybulle comes off the bench
30%
3. Scoot and Shae remain the starters while Simons becomes a super 6th man
23%
4. Simons and Scoot start in the backcourt while Shae goes back to a 6th man role.
10%
5. Chauncey puts Simons back in the starting line up, failing to realize someone needs to come out. We try to play with 6 guys and Billups gets a Technical Foul. He then can’t decide who to take out and gets a 2nd T for delay of game and is ejected. The assistant coaches then fail to agree on one of the 4 options above, and the Blazers are forced to forfeit an NBA game for the first time since Nov 19, 2004 (bonus points if u know what game that is without using google!)
3%

Total votes: 30

DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

What to do with Shae when Simons returns? 

Post#1 » by DC_Melo » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:41 am

For the poll, please vote for what you think will most realistically happen. But then add a comment on what you think should happen.

For me…

Voting-wise, I went with option 2, but I would prefer prefer option 3… with 3 being my favorite. Simons would absolutely feast against second units and he would have more scoring responsibilities, which is a role I feel suits him better.

Doubt it happens, tho it’s possible Simons has a short spell coming off the bench depending on how fast he jumps into his regular minutes.

If Chauncey rolls with option 4, someone please check the man for a concussion. Thybulle just doesn’t bring enough to the table to justify starting him out over Sharpe, especially with Sharpe’s development on the defensive end.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,408

Re: What to do with Shae when Simons returns? 

Post#2 » by Blazinaway » Thu Nov 2, 2023 12:37 pm

Shae seems t beo doing fine guarding SF's so I voted starting SF
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#3 » by red_power » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:03 pm

I think a proper title should be "What to do with Simons when he gets back?"
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#4 » by Sinobas » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:34 pm

What will it be? I suspect Sharpe will be moved to starting SF if he continues his rampage.

What should happen? I think Scoot should come off the bench is first year. I'd start Simons/Sharpe in the back court and Camara at the 3.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:50 pm

He should get the SG spot w/ Scoot moving to the bench - he has just been basically historically bad to start off and maybe more time against 2nd units will help him get his confidence back.

What will happen? Matisse to the bench IMO.

Sharpe has been our best player so far, is our most talented youngster and has been playing at a starters level. He needs to start.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#6 » by m0ng0 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:59 pm

I think we go little big 3 with Scoot, Simons and Sharpe, throw in Camara or Walker at the 4 and whomever is healthy at the 5
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,941

Post#7 » by JasonStern » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:23 pm

I mean, Scoot should be benched. Clearly he's not ready and needs to develop. No knock on him or anything. But Chauncey is the coach, so I fully expect all three to start, with Sharpe playing out of position for no good reason.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,520

Post#8 » by Pattycakes » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:48 pm

JasonStern wrote:I mean, Scoot should be benched. Clearly he's not ready and needs to develop. No knock on him or anything. But Chauncey is the coach, so I fully expect all three to start, with Sharpe playing out of position for no good reason.

I’ve tried to explain this the last week, but people seem to think it’s great for his confidence to let him start and in turn let us at times be worse as a team than we should.

He’s 19, he has 20 good years ahead of him. We have players deserving the minutes more. I really don’t even care if he starts, just don’t feel the need to keep him in there in crunch time until he proves and earns it.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:04 pm

Let's wait and see if Shae has had a run of good games.

These are great problems to have, especially if the team is playing well in Ant's absence. Team will
need Ant's 3 point shot for the team isn't blessed with shooters and might struggle to score 100 points
on a regular basis
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#10 » by red_power » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:05 pm

Sinobas wrote:What will it be? I suspect Sharpe will be moved to starting SF if he continues his rampage.

I suspect moving Shae into starting SF will make this team much more vulnerable defensively and put unnecessary pressure on Sharpe's shoulders.

Anyway, the solution to this dilemma is simple. Wait for Ant to recover and then break our congestion at guard's positions by trading Brogdon. Keep in mind that letting Ant and Scoot run a chaotic crapfest in the clutch will also help us to lose additional 5-10 games, which is also huge.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#11 » by mighty_duck » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:00 pm

Starting all three will make us the worst defensive backline in NBA history. At this point in time, none of them can adequately guard their proposed position.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by DC_Melo » Thu Nov 2, 2023 8:31 pm

mighty_duck wrote:Starting all three will make us the worst defensive backline in NBA history. At this point in time, none of them can adequately guard their proposed position.

You don’t think Shae has improved defensively? He’s had some great help defense plays and is getting his hands on a ton of deflections this year.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#13 » by mighty_duck » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:11 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
mighty_duck wrote:Starting all three will make us the worst defensive backline in NBA history. At this point in time, none of them can adequately guard their proposed position.

You don’t think Shae has improved defensively? He’s had some great help defense plays and is getting his hands on a ton of deflections this year.

I don't think he can adequately defend SF's at this point.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#14 » by JasonStern » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:13 pm

mighty_duck wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:

He's a SG. Playing him at SF just keeps the Olshey time honored tradition of playing players out of position, then acting shocked when it doesn't work.
- Chauncey Billups
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,084

Post#15 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:59 pm

Simona will go back to the starting SG and Sharpe will go back to the bench. I don't think Billups will change that, regardless of what we want to see.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by DC_Melo » Sat Nov 4, 2023 11:59 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Simona will go back to the starting SG and Sharpe will go back to the bench. I don't think Billups will change that, regardless of what we want to see.

Before last night’s game, I would be inclined to agree with you… but my opinion has changed a bit on that for a couple reasons:

-Billups was willing to start Camara, a late 2nd round rookie over Thybulle, a guy we just resigned for 3/33 in the second half. May not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but I think that shows Chauncey may have a more flexible mindset towards roster changes than some previous Blazers coaches…

-6 games into the season, Sharpe is our best player. He’s simply playing too good to bench atm. Things could change, but the kid is making it harder and harder to sit him after each game, and I don’t anticipate that changing. Played 46 minutes last night, and is averaging over 38/game on the season. Billups likes having him out there (and I mean… who among us doesn’t?!)

Could be wishful thinking on my part… we shall see!
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by DC_Melo » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:03 pm

JasonStern wrote:
mighty_duck wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:

He's a SG. Playing him at SF just keeps the Olshey time honored tradition of playing players out of position, then acting shocked when it doesn't work.

I don’t disagree… I’d much rather him play SG (especially with the way Camara is playing at SF)… but I’d also rather him play SF vs riding the bench lol. We’ll see what happens… Does Chauncey have the stones to sit one of Scoot, Simons, or Sharpe when they are all healthy?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,019

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:06 pm

Soooo, you didn’t watch the NBA when the Blazers started Dame, CJ and Powell? Quite literally not a single player over 6’4” in their starting 1-3.

I’m not thrilled by Shae out of position at SF, but lets chill on that hyperbole eh?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,019

Post#19 » by DusterBuster » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:37 pm

Is super early, but knowing it could be a loooooong season, I’m really enjoying what I’m seeing this year so far and want to take it in while it’s still fresh and fun.

Seeing Shae have it really starting to “click” and clearly getting to a point where the game is slowing down for him has been a blast.

Like I said after the Dame deal, for a rebuild, the Blazers could be in a lot worse position (see: Wizards) with just absolutely nothing to build around or develop for another 2-3 years.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#20 » by JasonStern » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:20 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Soooo, you didn’t watch the NBA when the Blazers started Dame, CJ and Powell? Quite literally not a single player over 6’4” in their starting 1-3.

I liked Powell. And I'll buy into the narrative that GTJ wanted out of Portland. But I'll still never understand trading arguably our best SF since Batum for another SG that was due for a new contract, only to play him at SF, and then trade him a season later for effectively nothing. Maybe if you had a follow up trade for CJ, it makes some sense. But there wasn't. I know some posters resent Dame for wanting out, but remember this was the management he was dealing with.

I also hate Stotts taking the blame for this mess. Same with Adelman when the early 90s Blazers team passed their prime.
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers