ImageImage

What to do with Shae when Simons returns?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

What will Shae’s role be when Simons returns

1. Simons will start at PG alongside Shae while we slow things down with Scoot and ease him off the bench
33%
2. Scoot, Simons, and Shae all start, Thybulle comes off the bench
30%
3. Scoot and Shae remain the starters while Simons becomes a super 6th man
23%
4. Simons and Scoot start in the backcourt while Shae goes back to a 6th man role.
10%
5. Chauncey puts Simons back in the starting line up, failing to realize someone needs to come out. We try to play with 6 guys and Billups gets a Technical Foul. He then can’t decide who to take out and gets a 2nd T for delay of game and is ejected. The assistant coaches then fail to agree on one of the 4 options above, and the Blazers are forced to forfeit an NBA game for the first time since Nov 19, 2004 (bonus points if u know what game that is without using google!)
3%

Total votes: 30

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Re: What to do with Shae when Simons returns? 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:41 pm

Most likely Brogdon will get moved when Simons has fully returned.

I was wondering if NBA teams could do what MLB teams do, which is send down their injured players
to AAA (G League) on a rehab assignment. That way, Portland could send Simons down to the Rip City
Remix to score 40+ points against the G leaguers on his rehab, before coming back to league. He
could get 1-2 games in for his conditioning, before coming back to play his normal minutes
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,018

Post#22 » by DusterBuster » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:43 pm

JasonStern wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Soooo, you didn’t watch the NBA when the Blazers started Dame, CJ and Powell? Quite literally not a single player over 6’4” in their starting 1-3.

I liked Powell. And I'll buy into the narrative that GTJ wanted out of Portland. But I'll still never understand trading arguably our best SF since Batum for another SG that was due for a new contract, only to play him at SF, and then trade him a season later for effectively nothing. Maybe if you had a follow up trade for CJ, it makes some sense. But there wasn't. I know some posters resent Dame for wanting out, but remember this was the management he was dealing with.

I also hate Stotts taking the blame for this mess. Same with Adelman when the early 90s Blazers team passed their prime.

I can’t hit the +1 enough times to show how much I agree with all this.

Even if GTj wanted out - which I believe since it came from his agent/side - deciding to move him for another sub-6’5” guard… literally the LAST think the Blazers needed, it’s just just mind numbingly stupid. Not a big brain idea like trading a 7yr lottery protected first rounder for a backup PF.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,018

Post#23 » by DusterBuster » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:47 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Most likely Brogdon will get moved when Simons has fully returned.

I was wondering if NBA teams could do what MLB teams do, which is send down their injured players
to AAA (G League) on a rehab assignment. That way, Portland could send Simons down to the Rip City
Remix to score 40+ points against the G leaguers on his rehab, before coming back to league. He
could get 1-2 games in for his conditioning, before coming back to play his normal minutes

This time with Simons out is a blessing in disguise. Brogdon gets to rehab his image after the Boston experience. Sharpe gets to establish himself where he should have always been as a starter and one of the teams pillars.

Can’t wait for the deadline, get max value back from Brog and Time Lord, go into next summer with like 8 FRPs, cap room and another high pick.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,084

Post#24 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:20 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Simona will go back to the starting SG and Sharpe will go back to the bench. I don't think Billups will change that, regardless of what we want to see.

Before last night’s game, I would be inclined to agree with you… but my opinion has changed a bit on that for a couple reasons:

-Billups was willing to start Camara, a late 2nd round rookie over Thybulle, a guy we just resigned for 3/33 in the second half. May not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but I think that shows Chauncey may have a more flexible mindset towards roster changes than some previous Blazers coaches…

-6 games into the season, Sharpe is our best player. He’s simply playing too good to bench atm. Things could change, but the kid is making it harder and harder to sit him after each game, and I don’t anticipate that changing. Played 46 minutes last night, and is averaging over 38/game on the season. Billups likes having him out there (and I mean… who among us doesn’t?!)

Could be wishful thinking on my part… we shall see!

Starters do not typically lose their starting spot due to injury. One might argue that Simons would be the Blazers best player if he were playing and may b even better than Sharpe right now. Don't get me wrong I want Sharpe starting at SG, I just don't think Billups will do so when Simon's returns.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 842

Post#25 » by tester551 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 10:09 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Simona will go back to the starting SG and Sharpe will go back to the bench. I don't think Billups will change that, regardless of what we want to see.

Before last night’s game, I would be inclined to agree with you… but my opinion has changed a bit on that for a couple reasons:

-Billups was willing to start Camara, a late 2nd round rookie over Thybulle, a guy we just resigned for 3/33 in the second half. May not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but I think that shows Chauncey may have a more flexible mindset towards roster changes than some previous Blazers coaches…

-6 games into the season, Sharpe is our best player. He’s simply playing too good to bench atm. Things could change, but the kid is making it harder and harder to sit him after each game, and I don’t anticipate that changing. Played 46 minutes last night, and is averaging over 38/game on the season. Billups likes having him out there (and I mean… who among us doesn’t?!)

Could be wishful thinking on my part… we shall see!

Starters do not typically lose their starting spot due to injury. One might argue that Simons would be the Blazers best player if he were playing and may b even better than Sharpe right now. Don't get me wrong I want Sharpe starting at SG, I just don't think Billups will do so when Simon's returns.

Theres a better option. Start Ant at PG, and Sharpe at SG.

Bring Scoot off the bench until he earns a starting spot
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#26 » by Moonbeam » Sat Nov 4, 2023 11:46 pm

Starting Ant at PG would not be good, IMO. He just can’t effectively run an offence. Ant has the game of a SG. I like Ant, but I think he’s a bit of fools gold in that he hasn’t shown himself to be a real impact player yet. I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 12:22 am

My experience in watching Blazer games since the 70's. suggest these questions will be solved
by another injury, for its a long season and guys do get hurt.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#28 » by Pattycakes » Sun Nov 5, 2023 10:31 am

I pray our team is not as quick to dump Brogdon as you all are. He could make a home here for at least 2-3 seasons. The team can still be playoff competitive with that help, and he’s a great role model for the youth to learn from.

I feel sometimes people are quick to mismanage assets when there’s a lot of them. But dumping Brogdon and even to a smaller degree - Jerami shouldn’t even be considerations until the young replacements are actually better than them.

Don’t be surprised if Chauncey advocates to keep the team mostly intact here on out. Just my two cents.

Having 8 picks this upcoming draft is kind of a laughable way to rebuild. This isn’t nba live… I’m not even giving you 2k credit with that logic.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#29 » by mighty_duck » Sun Nov 5, 2023 6:25 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
mighty_duck wrote:Starting all three will make us the worst defensive backline in NBA history. At this point in time, none of them can adequately guard their proposed position.

Soooo, you didn’t watch the NBA when the Blazers started Dame, CJ and Powell? Quite literally not a single player over 6’4” in their starting 1-3.

I’m not thrilled by Shae out of position at SF, but lets chill on that hyperbole eh?

That backline was a close second as worst in NBA history :)

As bad as that backline was (and I grant you, it was horrible!), Scoot/Ant/Sharpe would be even worse.
At least we had some grown man strength and vet savvy before.
Even as athletically talented as our current group is, they just are just as small, and aren't there mentally yet.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#30 » by Norm2953 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 6:52 pm

Pattycakes wrote:I pray our team is not as quick to dump Brogdon as you all are. He could make a home here for at least 2-3 seasons. The team can still be playoff competitive with that help, and he’s a great role model for the youth to learn from.

I feel sometimes people are quick to mismanage assets when there’s a lot of them. But dumping Brogdon and even to a smaller degree - Jerami shouldn’t even be considerations until the young replacements are actually better than them.

Don’t be surprised if Chauncey advocates to keep the team mostly intact here on out. Just my two cents.

Having 8 picks this upcoming draft is kind of a laughable way to rebuild. This isn’t nba live… I’m not even giving you 2k credit with that logic.

I do think its more about what Malcolm wants for he's 30 and more likely would prefer a contender to a rebuilding
situation. I wouldn't move him for expiring contracts and a mid 20's FRP, but would like a mid teens pick for
Malcolm
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,172

Post#31 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Nov 5, 2023 8:51 pm

The ideal backcourt looks something like this IMO... the SG needs to be a multi-level scoring threat that defenses will sell out on to keep the ball out of his hand and allows the PG and the other 3 players to play advantage basketball. Scoot isn't "the guy", he is the complement to Shaedon, the option that causes teams a tough choice you know, do we let Shaedon go 1 on 1 or do we let Scoot run the offense and get into the paint going downhill consistently with a 4v3 advantage?

Shaedon also isn't the most vocal guy, I remember a dynamic between Lillard and CJ that CJ was kind of the "drill master" to Lillard's more lead by example style and I can see Scoot being that role too, the guy who is always speaking up and putting practices together and pushing others in a way that Shaedon might not really be that guy.

As long as both are committed on defense too then that is a scary good combo in the back-court, a 1/2 punch that we can build a team of shooters and defenders around. It does depend on Scoot growing as a playmaker more than a pure scorer but if teams are so focused on the SG then that allows him a ton of freedom to set up others.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#32 » by zzaj » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:31 am

I have no idea what Chauncey will do, but I'm pretty sure it will be the wrong thing.

If it were my team, Sharpe would be my starting SG--end of story. Also, Grant is my starting SF--end of story.

The rest I'd tell my team "you gotta earn it", and switch starters any given night. If I was trying to win games I'd go:

Brogdon/Scoot
Sharpe/Simons
Grant/Camara
TL/Walker
Ayton/Moses
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,104

Post#33 » by Effigy » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:35 pm

Anyone who thinks Simons is coming off the bench is living in Fantasy land. Either Scoot will go to the bench, or Sharpe will slide to the 3, but the team 100% isn't going to bench Simons (unless it's for a game or 2 while he adjusts). I agree that the bench is his ideal role, but that just isn't going to happen with the roster we currently have.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#34 » by zzaj » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:03 pm

Effigy wrote:Anyone who thinks Simons is coming off the bench is living in Fantasy land. Either Scoot will go to the bench, or Sharpe will slide to the 3, but the team 100% isn't going to bench Simons (unless it's for a game or 2 while he adjusts). I agree that the bench is his ideal role, but that just isn't going to happen with the roster we currently have.

I agree with you based on Scoot's play, thus far. It will be interesting to see how Scoot is playing once Simons is back. If he's making strides at that point I could see Brogdon getting pushed to 6th man.

I still maintain that Simons isn't going to be back until January. I think the answers will become a little clearer before then...
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#35 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 7, 2023 5:41 am

DC_Melo wrote:
mighty_duck wrote:Starting all three will make us the worst defensive backline in NBA history. At this point in time, none of them can adequately guard their proposed position.

You don’t think Shae has improved defensively? He’s had some great help defense plays and is getting his hands on a ton of deflections this year.

He's better defensively, but it has been at SG. If he is the starter at SF he's going to get over-matched way too often. He's only 6'4.25.

so call it as Sharpe is 6'5....western conference starting SF's:

6'10 Michael Porter
6'8 Luca Doncic
6'7 Andrew Wiggins
6'8 Brandon Ingram
6'8 Kawhi
6'9 Jaden McDaniels
6'8 Josh Giddey
6'9 Jeremy Sochan
6'7 Tauren Prince
6'5 Devin Booker
6'8 Keegan Murray/6'8 Harrison Barnes
6'7 Dillon Brooks
6'9 John Collins (and sometimes 6'11 Lauri Markkanen)
6'8 Zaire Williams

the Eastern conference isn't any smaller at SF

I'm so sick of Portland trotting out ridiculously undersized line-ups. It doesn't work

draft express has tracked average height by position, based upon actual no-shoes measurements:

PG 6'1 ¼"
SG 6'4 ¼"
SF 6'5 ¾"
PF 6'7 ¾"
C 6'9 ½"

so if Portland's starting lineup is Scoot-Ant-Sharpe-Grant, at those 4 positions, Blazers would be about average at PG; 2 inches shorter than average at SG; 1.5 inches shorter than average at SF; and 1.25 inches shorter than average ay PF

it would just be friggin stupid. A reboot of a scheme that has failed over and over and over. It would be the Blazers trying to jamb the square peg of Ant into a round hole league. Ant should be traded. And if he isn't he should be coming off the bench. The worst of the 3 options is starting Ant at SG and forcing Sharpe out of position...like Norm Powell was out of position to accomodate CJ.

but there's little doubt the Blazers will do that and be happy with Ant chucking up the most shots on the team while playing about the worst defense os any perimeter player in the league
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#36 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:58 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:

You don’t think Shae has improved defensively? He’s had some great help defense plays and is getting his hands on a ton of deflections this year.

He's better defensively, but it has been at SG. If he is the starter at SF he's going to get over-matched way too often. He's only 6'4.25.

6'10 Michael Porter
6'8 Luca Doncic
6'7 Andrew Wiggins
6'8 Brandon Ingram
6'8 Kawhi
6'9 Jaden McDaniels
6'8 Josh Giddey
6'9 Jeremy Sochan
6'7 Tauren Prince
6'5 Devin Booker
6'7 Dillon Brooks
6'8 Zaire Williams

I'm so sick of Portland trotting out ridiculously undersized line-ups. It doesn't work

draft express has tracked average height by position, based upon actual no-shoes measurements:

PG 6'1 ¼"
SG 6'4 ¼"
SF 6'5 ¾"
PF 6'7 ¾"
C 6'9 ½"

so if Portland's starting lineup is Scoot-Ant-Sharpe-Grant, at those 4 positions, Blazers would be about average at PG; 2 inches shorter than average at SG; 1.5 inches shorter than average at SF; and 1.25 inches shorter than average ay PF

it would just be friggin stupid. A reboot of a scheme that has failed over and over and over. It would be the Blazers trying to jamb the square peg of Ant into a round hole league. Ant should be traded. And if he isn't he should be coming off the bench. The worst of the 3 options is starting Ant at SG and forcing Sharpe out of position...like Norm Powell was out of position to accomodate CJ.

but there's little doubt the Blazers will do that and be happy with Ant chucking up the most shots on the team while playing about the worst defense os any perimeter player in the league

Just checking, are those heights of the Western starting SFs in shoes, or no-shoes measurements?

I agree, you would hope we would have learnt that starting an undersized guard duo (let alone trio if you play one of them at SF) does not work. Heck, we had a Top #10 player in the league in that line-up and it didn't work.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:50 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:
DC_Melo wrote:

6'10 Michael Porter
6'8 Luca Doncic
6'7 Andrew Wiggins
6'8 Brandon Ingram
6'8 Kawhi
6'9 Jaden McDaniels
6'8 Josh Giddey
6'9 Jeremy Sochan
6'7 Tauren Prince
6'5 Devin Booker
6'7 Dillon Brooks
6'8 Zaire Williams

PG 6'1 ¼"
SG 6'4 ¼"
SF 6'5 ¾"
PF 6'7 ¾"
C 6'9 ½"

Just checking, are those heights of the Western starting SFs in shoes, or no-shoes measurements?

I agree, you would hope we would have learnt that starting an undersized guard duo (let alone trio if you play one of them at SF) does not work. Heck, we had a Top #10 player in the league in that line-up and it didn't work.

those were the listed heights at bbref. I was too lazy to go thru and search pre-draft measurements for 15-17 players
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#38 » by DC_Melo » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:29 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
those were the listed heights at bbref. I was too lazy to go thru and search pre-draft measurements for 15-17 players

I struggle with accepting Shae’s height, especially using pre-draft measurements. He was 17 and I am very confident he grew over the past year. I saw him from just a few feet away back in October and he did not look much shorter than Jerami Grant, and had at least 2-3 inches over Grayson Allen who was guarding him.

While some players try to pad their heights if they are undersized for their position, a number of players also conceal inches on their height because they want opposing defenses to think they are shorter than they are. It doesn’t exactly fool anyone, but it’s definitely a practice that exists in the NBA, and I very much suspect it to be true for Sharpe.

Obviously, I’m speculating, but having seen Shae up close, I don’t believe for a second he’s an inch shorter than 6’6
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#39 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:38 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

I struggle with accepting Shae’s height, especially using pre-draft measurements. He was 17 and I am very confident he grew over the past year. I saw him from just a few feet away back in October and he did not look much shorter than Jerami Grant, and had at least 2-3 inches over Grayson Allen who was guarding him.

While some players try to pad their heights if they are undersized for their position, a number of players also conceal inches on their height because they want opposing defenses to think they are shorter than they are. It doesn’t exactly fool anyone, but it’s definitely a practice that exists in the NBA, and I very much suspect it to be true for Sharpe.

Obviously, I’m speculating, but having seen Shae up close, I don’t believe for a second he’s an inch shorter than 6’6

I don't buy that for a second. To start with, he wasn't 17 at the combine, he was essentially 19. And after all the chatter over the years about this player or that player growing a bunch from 19-20 years old, the reality is it's extremely rare

he was measured at 6'4.25". 6'6 would mean he grew nearly 2 inches after turning 19. It's not impossible, but it's also not very credible

and again, why the hell even worry about it? The only reason is to try to rationalize and justify Ant starting at SG. SG is Sharpe's natural position. And he's been making a strong case that he's the best option Portland has at SG. If the Blazers are hell-bent on starting Ant then they should have to balls to move Ant to PG, bench Scoot and go with Sharpe-Camara-Grant-Ayton. But what should happen, short of trading Ant, is that he's a 6th man. That's his natural position
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#40 » by DC_Melo » Tue Nov 7, 2023 8:27 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

I don't buy that for a second. To start with, he wasn't 17 at the combine, he was essentially 19. And after all the chatter over the years about this player or that player growing a bunch from 19-20 years old, the reality is it's extremely rare

he was measured at 6'4.25". 6'6 would mean he grew nearly 2 inches after turning 19. It's not impossible, but it's also not very credible

and again, why the hell even worry about it? The only reason is to try to rationalize and justify Ant starting at SG. SG is Sharpe's natural position. And he's been making a strong case that he's the best option Portland has at SG. If the Blazers are hell-bent on starting Ant then they should have to balls to move Ant to PG, bench Scoot and go with Sharpe-Camara-Grant-Ayton. But what should happen, short of trading Ant, is that he's a 6th man. That's his natural position

That’s my bad, was distracted while typing. You’re right, he was 18, close to 19 at the time.

As far as growth probability, it all depends on when the ends of his bones seal, which could be as late as 21 in men. Gaining an inch an and a half or so over the past year and a half is certainly possible.

I’m not doubting his pre-draft measurement at the time. I just don’t believe for a second he’s 6’4.

But like you say, it doesn’t really matter what I think on the matter… just stating my observation

Return to Portland Trail Blazers