Robert Williams out 

Post#1 » by pinman42 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:11 am

Read on Twitter
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,019

Re: Robert Williams out 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:19 am

That didn’t take long. Probably not getting a deadline FRP at this point for him. Those knees must be real real real bad.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#3 » by RTG HD » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:26 am

And now I am sad. :cry:
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,520

Post#4 » by Pattycakes » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:34 am

Dude should have clearly never been playing this year on a minutes restriction for this exact reason. Poor guy. He looked good in those Boston days.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:48 am

Probably our best big, get well big fella. Tough loss but I'm sure this helps us substantially lotto wise
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,942

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Tue Nov 7, 2023 2:36 am

Everyone crapped on Olshey for starting six 6'1" guards but the Blazers big man curse is proving him right.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#7 » by PDXKnight » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:32 am

JasonStern wrote:Everyone crapped on Olshey for starting six 6'1" guards but the Blazers big man curse is proving him right.

To be fair it was fairly well known rwiii had injury issues before the trade
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,520

Post#8 » by Pattycakes » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:52 am

PDXKnight wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Everyone crapped on Olshey for starting six 6'1" guards but the Blazers big man curse is proving him right.

To be fair it was fairly well known rwiii had injury issues before the trade

Exactly. I’m sure some people don’t realize that and this will be shocking revelation but the knee brace he was rocking out there was not normal at all
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#9 » by Blazers20 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 5:17 am

Cronin should had treaded traded Time Lord and Brogdon before any catastrophic injury.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 7, 2023 5:29 am

the problem was not trading him when they could have....the problem was trading for him in the first place

it's a lesson the Blazers are apparently too stubborn or stupid or blind to learn...Don't trade for injury prone players and especially don't trade for injured players

Fabrico Oberto
Festus Ezeli
Pau Gasol
Larry Nance
Gary Payton
Robert Williams

the Blazers aren't just cursed by bad luck, they are cursed by not learning the obvious lesson
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,019

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:35 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
the Blazers aren't just cursed by bad luck, they are cursed by not learning the obvious lesson

Quoted for GD truth.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#12 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:49 am

Wizenheimer wrote:the problem was not trading him when they could have....the problem was trading for him in the first place

it's a lesson the Blazers are apparently too stubborn or stupid or blind to learn...Don't trade for injury prone players and especially don't trade for injured players

Fabrico Oberto
Festus Ezeli
Pau Gasol
Larry Nance
Gary Payton
Robert Williams

Just pointing out that Payton was signed as a FA, and he actually netted us some 2nd round picks in the end.

I agree with everything else that you've said though.

For this reason, I want us to trade Brogdon. He's a very good player, but I'd rather a 1st round pick (even if it's a #20 odd pick) to roll the dice on. I think he also deserves to be on a contender too.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,764

Post#13 » by Case2012 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 10:44 am

Cronin is a joke. Could've probably got another 2 firsts or some prospects from a contender. I swear olshey probably got most of his ideas from Joe, he confirmed he talked to Joe about every single move they've made since he was hired in an interview. Makes sense, he was the assistant gm, but that what makes the him being the replacement even more laughable.
Instagram: @casetwelve
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#14 » by red_power » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:37 pm

So I presume Celtics added another FRP just to get rid of his contract, right?
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#15 » by Norm2953 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:08 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:the problem was not trading him when they could have....the problem was trading for him in the first place

Fabrico Oberto
Festus Ezeli
Pau Gasol
Larry Nance
Gary Payton
Robert Williams

Blazers did get a 2029 UNP from the Celtics as well
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#16 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:00 pm

Case2012 wrote:Cronin is a joke. Could've probably got another 2 firsts or some prospects from a contender. I swear olshey probably got most of his ideas from Joe, he confirmed he talked to Joe about every single move they've made since he was hired in an interview. Makes sense, he was the assistant gm, but that what makes the him being the replacement even more laughable.

You cant honestly think we took RWIII over another 2 FRP.

Even removing RWIII from the deal we still came out with a haul. Brogdan and 2 FRP is a hell of a pull for a aging Holiday.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#17 » by Norm2953 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:09 pm

Jrue is averaging 13.7 so far in this young season

I think this trade will still be fine in the end for its not like TL's contract is a big problem for he
signed a $48/4 extension in 2021. He's a solid player when he plays and is likely from now on
pigeon holed into a backup center role.

Portland still has another late 2024 pick from the GSW and that unprotected 2029 pick along with
Brogdon for Jrue.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#18 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:46 pm

I'm not sure why people are bringing up the picks Portland got for Jrue. They aren't very good, at all, not for a player like Jrue. Right now, it would be the 26th pick next June, and another 1st 6 years from now. That's a poor pick payoff for a player that was reportedly generating a ton of interest

Williams came with an extensive injury history, and apparently Brandon-Roy knees. He also came with 3 years remaining on his contract. The Blazers should have avoided him like the plague because the news about his latest injury was just about guaranteed and inevitable
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#19 » by Norm2953 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 11:26 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I'm not sure why people are bringing up the picks Portland got for Jrue. They aren't very good, at all, not for a player like Jrue. Right now, it would be the 26th pick next June, and another 1st 6 years from now. That's a poor pick payoff for a player that was reportedly generating a ton of interest

Williams came with an extensive injury history, and apparently Brandon-Roy knees. He also came with 3 years remaining on his contract. The Blazers should have avoided him like the plague because the news about his latest injury was just about guaranteed and inevitable

Six years is a long time away and nobody knows how good the Celtics will be for their payroll is not sustainable
long term.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,942

Post#20 » by JasonStern » Wed Nov 8, 2023 12:01 am

Wizenheimer wrote:I'm not sure why people are bringing up the picks Portland got for Jrue. They aren't very good, at all, not for a player like Jrue. Right now, it would be the 26th pick next June, and another 1st 6 years from now. That's a poor pick payoff for a player that was reportedly generating a ton of interest

Two late 1sts and two injury prone role players was a solid return for Jrue given his complete lack of a role on this team. Remember, this is a 33 year old Jrue Holiday making $36.8M this season with a $39.4M player option next season - not a rookie scale 23 year old Jrue Holiday. Not every GM is dumb enough to throw two first round picks at an aging Robert Covington.

Brogdon and Timelord are injury prone players. That was very apparent pre-trade. Anyone expecting 82 games from either hasn't followed their careers. Despite Chauncey, the Blazers aren't trying to go 0-82. They have some value. Brogdon less so for Portland because of his age. But Timelord in theory is young enough to build around. And even if he is injury prone, he's still making MLE tier money for two more seasons.

I'm far more worried about Grant than Brogdon and Timelord. Significantly more money tied up into a 29 year old whose game is based on athleticism. That contract gives me Darius Miles vibes. Or Travis "Bo" Outlaw vibes, which we actually didn't match. Good for us, making one solid basketball move.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers