Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Re: What to do with Brogdon and Williams 

Post#41 » by Sinobas » Sat Dec 9, 2023 3:41 pm

Skybox wrote:
tester551 wrote:
I like WCJ next to Ayton too, but now you’re getting into Simons territory. Brogdon’s a solid player but his injury history puts WCJ at greater value than Brogdon. Ingles is no throw-in, he’s a huge part of ORL’s surge.

I wanted the Blazers to acquire WCJ in the offseason. I don't know how much the Magic covet him. He seems to have injury issues as well. I think something centered around WCJ for Brogdon could be good for both teams.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,408

Post#42 » by Blazinaway » Sat Dec 9, 2023 3:52 pm

Butter wrote:
Sinobas wrote:Brogdon is taking pressure of Scoot, which I believe is good for Scoot's development. There might be something to developing players on a miserable roster. They think there is no hope to winning and give up. It's a real psychological factor.

On the other hand, they are probably not going to re-sign Brogdon, which means getting something before he exits would be better than nothing.

Williams is dead weight. I understand why we rolled the dice on him, because he'd be a great fit, but it was a long shot to begin with.

I posted this in another thread

I'd rather just trade Simons and keep Brogdon.

In fact, I would make both Simons and Grant available. Winning low level games can be good for to avoid giving into a tanking culture, but I'd rather give those minutes to younger players, and position the Blazers for a better draft pick.

One caveat - I'd keep Brogdon, but not to win games. Scoot Henderson is one of the most important players for the Blazers future. I think Brogdon will he a better vet leader and mentor for Scoot that Simons.

How bout trading Thybulle? With his good contract and D and how well he's shooting the 3 he may have as much or perhaps even more value than Brog or Grant, I like Thybulle but he's also unlikely a longer term piece
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#43 » by Goldbum » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:52 pm

Rumor from Reditt:

Brogdon to Nets
D.Hunter to Portland
Dorian Finney Smith/Clowney to ATL

Maybe Portland sends out a 2nd or 2 if that is what it take to get it done.
Don't know how legit his sources but since I had heard we looked at Hunter previously.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#44 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:01 pm

Goldbum wrote:Rumor from Reditt:

Brogdon to Nets
D.Hunter to Portland

Don't know how legit his sources but since I had heard we looked at Hunter previously.

I would take the Nets guys over Hunter. By all metrics Hunter is not good. He isn’t that young, is well paid and stands out nowhere.

I don’t see why BRK adds Brogdan w/ Dinwiddie there but I certainly would take DFS and Clowney for him.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 842

Post#45 » by tester551 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:05 am

Goldbum wrote:Rumor from Reditt:

Brogdon to Nets
D.Hunter to Portland

That would be acceptable. I don't love it, but don't hate it either.

I've been looking at Ryan Dunn in the draft, and I think he projects into a Hunter type.

Id hope for a little better deal (ie - Brodgon to Orlando for WCJ), but this works
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#46 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:36 am

Harris/Korkmaz/Martin/2026 OKC 1st/2024 NYK 2nd/2029 POR 2nd for Brogdon/Grant
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,521

Post#47 » by JRoy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:42 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:Harris/Korkmaz/Martin/2026 OKC 1st/2024 NYK 2nd/2029 POR 2nd for Brogdon/Grant

POR politely declines.

Don’t want any of those players and the picks do not entice.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by tester551 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:54 am

JRoy wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Harris/Korkmaz/Martin/2026 OKC 1st/2024 NYK 2nd/2029 POR 2nd for Brogdon/Grant

POR politely declines.

Don’t want any of those players and the picks do not entice.

I think this is relatively close, but I don't think Portland does this due to contract status.

Harris = Grant ( I actually prefer Harris, but he's on an expiring contract. If it we're guaranteed that he'd resign for Grant's contract amount - Id be more inclined)

Korkmaz/Martin/2026 OKC 1st/2024 NYK 2nd/2029 POR 2nd = Brogdon
I like the idea of Martin. The picks are low-value.

Value wise I think it's close, but Portland can probably do better
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#49 » by Goldbum » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:08 pm

I think Grant has played himself into the 2 firsts tier of player. His contract is long but he's not a max guy.
I keep thinking that Matisse makes a lot of sense in Atlanta, he could be to Trae what we brought him in to be for Dame. I'm a Thybulle believer now though so I'm not in a rush to move him without a first and young guy we like coming back. I think we should be thinking about grabbing Poku if we get a chance. He fits in the Injured player exemption and a couple 2nds might get it done.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#50 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:40 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Butter wrote:
Sinobas wrote:Brogdon is taking pressure of Scoot, which I believe is good for Scoot's development. There might be something to developing players on a miserable roster. They think there is no hope to winning and give up. It's a real psychological factor.

On the other hand, they are probably not going to re-sign Brogdon, which means getting something before he exits would be better than nothing.

Williams is dead weight. I understand why we rolled the dice on him, because he'd be a great fit, but it was a long shot to begin with.

I posted this in another thread

I'd rather just trade Simons and keep Brogdon.

In fact, I would make both Simons and Grant available. Winning low level games can be good for to avoid giving into a tanking culture, but I'd rather give those minutes to younger players, and position the Blazers for a better draft pick.

One caveat - I'd keep Brogdon, but not to win games. Scoot Henderson is one of the most important players for the Blazers future. I think Brogdon will he a better vet leader and mentor for Scoot that Simons.

How bout trading Thybulle? With his good contract and D and how well he's shooting the 3 he may have as much or perhaps even more value than Brog or Grant, I like Thybulle but he's also unlikely a longer term piece
Thybulle has been superb this year, and that's why I'm happy to trade him.

He has great value now given he's on the books for another 2 playoffs for a competitor on a great deal. Given he signed for Dallas prior to Portland matching, I don't want to lose him in FA for nothing.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,760

Post#51 » by Skybox » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:32 pm

Attach Williams to Simons in an ORL trade. ORL has the expiring salaries, patience, and depth to absorb both and provide POR with a clean ledger and a couple of picks to play with. Attaching Williams to Brogdon takes the value way down as both are such fragile pieces.
I’d lean towards keeping Brogdon as a third guard, at both spots, assuming his attitude is positive - I don’t know the answer to that.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 315

Post#52 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:47 am

I really like what Timelord can do … so get him healthy, build value up … and trade him. Centers take years to mature and getting there requires health. Timelord is a serious defender with value for a contender. Go young and athletic.

Brogdon is a good mentor for the guards. Keep him for a year … two … and he plays both guard positions as a 6th man.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,430

Post#53 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:43 am

Skybox wrote:Attach Williams to Simons in an ORL trade. ORL has the expiring salaries, patience, and depth to absorb both and provide POR with a clean ledger and a couple of picks to play with. Attaching Williams to Brogdon takes the value way down as both are such fragile pieces.
I’d lean towards keeping Brogdon as a third guard, at both spots, assuming his attitude is positive - I don’t know the answer to that.

LOL of course an Orlando fan wants Simons for essentially cap space. Why don't we throw in both our first round picks while were at it :crazy:
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,430

Post#54 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:47 am

Brogdon deal is a guarantee we have too many guards and Scoot needs the mins. I hope we can get a decent prospect as we have a lot of picks already.

Grant I think we keep honestly if you look at the Pistons you don't want a rebuilding team to get out of control and impact development Ausar and Ivey are basically having lost year due to poor roster fits, overall non-NBA talent on the team and bad coaching. I think next year after we draft a forward is when we move on from Grant unless a team makes a wow offer.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#55 » by Skybox » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:08 am

GreenRiddler wrote:
Skybox wrote:Attach Williams to Simons in an ORL trade. ORL has the expiring salaries, patience, and depth to absorb both and provide POR with a clean ledger and a couple of picks to play with. Attaching Williams to Brogdon takes the value way down as both are such fragile pieces.

LOL of course an Orlando fan wants Simons for essentially cap space. Why don't we throw in both our first round picks while were at it :crazy:

You could do that…

…or you could just read more carefully. :noway: I never suggested ORL would be just taking Simons off your hands. ORL would send pick(s) for Simons AND could eat Williams’ salary.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#56 » by PDXKnight » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:57 pm

Skybox wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:

You could do that…

…or you could just read more carefully. :noway: I never suggested ORL would be just taking Simons off your hands. ORL would send pick(s) for Simons AND could eat Williams’ salary.

It'd probably need to be a few firsts with pretty low protection and even then I'm not sure anymore. Simons is starting to find his groove at only 24 and we'd need a meaningful package to even consider dealing him as there's a pretty high possibility he's one of our 2 best guards.

Scoot has been very hit and miss, he has looked like a solid prospect for a few games and looked pretty out of it the rest of the way. He needs time to know for sure but I'd hate giving up simons and then Scoot flops. I was kind of for trading Ant in the off season and I can't speak for all here but that interest is waning for me as of lately. Going by age he's only as old as Dame was in year 2 and while I'm not saying in any way he will be that good he can certainly be respectable as a scorer in this league & perhaps a nice second option once shaedon realizes how to use his physical skills better
Skybox
RealGM

Post#57 » by Skybox » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:29 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
Skybox wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:LOL of course an Orlando fan wants Simons for essentially cap space. Why don't we throw in both our first round picks while were at it :crazy:

You could do that…

It'd probably need to be a few firsts with pretty low protection and even then I'm not sure anymore. Simons is starting to find his groove at only 24 and we'd need a meaningful package to even consider dealing him as there's a pretty high possibility he's one of our 2 best guards.

Scoot has been very hit and miss, he has looked like a solid prospect for a few games and looked pretty out of it the rest of the way. He needs time to know for sure but I'd hate giving up simons and then Scoot flops. I was kind of for trading Ant in the off season and I can't speak for all here but that interest is waning for me as of lately. Going by age he's only as old as Dame was in year 2 and while I'm not saying in any way he will be that good he can certainly be respectable as a scorer in this league & perhaps a nice second option once shaedon realizes how to use his physical skills better

POR really has no reason to be rushed (other than Simons going to UFA in a couple of years)...but if they're really concerned about Scoot...send him over :D

My whole basis for any of the Simons talk is that I don't like the Simons/Scoot pairing at all and, even if I did, I think that Sharpe's huge physical advantages shrink at the SF spot. So, I'd be banking heavy on Scoot/Sharpe backcourt blooming in a couple of years...so, sell off Simons rather than pay him $25 per while the real backcourt is percolating...might as well play the backcourt of the future a lot, lose some games (so what) and collect assets. Letting Simons score a ton and win a game here or there while Scoot sits seems like a waste of developmental time. I like POR's young core if Ayton would just get it together but Simons has already arrived, maybe ahead of the others' schedule. Just how I'm thinking...I know it's tough to swallow the idea of jettisoning the guy who can actually play already - in favor of the guys you hope can play even better together.

Imagine a Dame/CJ no defense pairing where the "Dame" can't really shoot. That's what I'd be afraid of with POR's personnel.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#58 » by Goldbum » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:48 pm

Portland trades:
Malcom+Ish+Brown
Rockets :
Oladipo (waived)
Longdale (non guaranteed next year)
Whitmore
One of the Brooklyn picks

Once you waive Oladipo you give Reath a real contract something like guaranteed this year partially guaranteed next year with team options year 3 and 4. Even if he stays the whole time he'll only be 31 and still in his prime. If we draft a big I think that contract would make him an appealing role player to good teams.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by tester551 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:34 pm

Goldbum wrote:Portland trades:
Malcom+Ish+Brown
Rockets :
Oladipo (waived)
Longdale (non guaranteed next year)
Whitmore
One of the Brooklyn picks

Once you waive Oladipo you give Reath a real contract something like guaranteed this year partially guaranteed next year with team options year 3 and 4. Even if he stays the whole time he'll only be 31 and still in his prime. If we draft a big I think that contract would make him an appealing role player to good teams.

Something you heard as a legitimate rumor - or just your idea?

It's reasonable. I don't love it, but I also don't hate it
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#60 » by Norm2953 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:24 pm

Do the Rockets have a need for Brogdon, after signing FVV in the off season?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers