What to do with Brogdon and Williams

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,086

Re: What to do with Brogdon and Williams 

Post#81 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:46 pm

I've not watch too many games this season, but the few I did see where Ayton played... he seems to take difficult shots. He was turning, falling back while shooting and it didn't see all that necessary. Just go up strong when he's under the basket and stop all the fall-away shots. The shot is already difficult enough without making it even more difficult.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#82 » by GEE » Wed Jan 3, 2024 8:33 pm

I see Ayton's game similar to what we had in LA12; More Finesse than Power. Deadly from 15-18 ft, but his feet seem to catch fire when they touch the painted area. Just not a BANGER, and more of a PF than a true Center IMO.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,530

Post#83 » by JRoy » Wed Jan 3, 2024 8:39 pm

He never seems to move quickly on offense. He catches the ball and has to think about what he wants to do.

The more I see, the less I like.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,530

Post#84 » by JRoy » Wed Jan 3, 2024 8:40 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I've not watch too many games this season, but the few I did see where Ayton played... he seems to take difficult shots. He was turning, falling back while shooting and it didn't see all that necessary. Just go up strong when he's under the basket and stop all the fall-away shots. The shot is already difficult enough without making it even more difficult.

He does not like contact and plays like he has never been taught to set a screen.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,173

Post#85 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:12 pm

Yup. Ayton has some positives, he is a good rebounder and can hit a 15 foot jumper to open the paint a little.

But he is not physical, not when trying to establish position, working in the post or in setting screens. He has a slow read on the game (not Meyers Leonard bad but shades in that direction for sure) and finally he has fairly poor hands when trying to catch passes in traffic. This makes it basically impossible to scale his offensive usage since he cannot create for himself and is a turnover waiting to happen when others create for him. Maybe if we started running more high post offense for him but man I do not need another marshmallow type 7 footer on this team so I am OK with not making that a point of emphasis just to pad his stats.

He is OK defensively but not a lockdown game changer on that end. Again the somewhat slow speed in seeing the game and lack of physicality limit him here and probably always will.

He isn't a 1 way player like many bigs but he isn't really elite at anything besides maybe rebounding, and I mean so was Whiteside but the team actually rebounded worse with Hassan. To be fair, I don't know the on/off for Ayton whether he improves team rebounding or grabs boards at the expense of good position like Whiteside always used to do, it would be an interesting evaluation to see.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#86 » by Goldbum » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:48 pm

Since this is kind of the defacto trade thread I wanted to share a tid bit that I've heard from 2 NBA front office sources.
Teams are interested in trading for Reath then converting him to an NBA contract. That is why we haven't converted him yet ourselves because he won't be tradable once he recently signed. Nothing is happening but it's being explored
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 843

Post#87 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:23 pm

Goldbum wrote:Since this is kind of the defacto trade thread I wanted to share a tid bit that I've heard from 2 NBA front office sources.
Teams are interested in trading for Reath then converting him to an NBA contract. That is why we haven't converted him yet ourselves because he won't be tradable once he recently signed. Nothing is happening but it's being explored

Thanks for the information...
That makes a lot of sense - and is something that I didn't consider. Reath has been super solid. He definitely deserves a full NBA contract, but he sort of misses our timeline.

Also that would provide some logic as to why Moses Brown wasn't cut prior to his contract becoming fully guaranteed.

What teams would need/want Reath?
Just doing a quick scan, I think the following teams could be suitors (especially with his ability to stretch the floor):
Knicks, Celtics, Brooklyn, Cavs, Warriors, Clippers, Heat, Bucks, New Orleans, Philly, Suns

I think more teams would prefer a player like Olynyk but at his $12M contract, it would be easier to acquire Reath.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,960

Post#88 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 8, 2024 7:53 pm

How can a player whos salary doesnt count against the cap be traded? I honestly wasnt aware that was possible.

I 100% would move him ASAP - he is 27 and doesnt fit the timeline at all.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:20 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:How can a player whos salary doesnt count against the cap be traded? I honestly wasnt aware that was possible.

I 100% would move him ASAP - he is 27 and doesnt fit the timeline at all.

It's just like having rights to a player and trading them after you draft them. Happens frequently.

You'll hear in trades that "Team xxxx traded for yyyy and the rights to zzzz".

It may all be a moot point now. Brown is having surgery.
https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2024/01/trail-blazers-moses-brown-to-under-go-wrist-surgery.html
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#90 » by KnicksManiac » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:23 pm

I would love for the Knicks to target Reath in any potential Brogdon deal.

Fournier + any protected first we own (Dallas, Washington, Detroit, or Milwaukee) + any future second round pick for Brogdon & Reath.

I’d like to make the trade today so we can get them in uniform by game time tomorrow! :)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#91 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:45 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:I would love for the Knicks to target Reath in any potential Brogdon deal.

Fournier + any protected first we own (Dallas, Washington, Detroit, or Milwaukee) + any future second round pick for Brogdon & Reath.

I’d like to make the trade today so we can get them in uniform by game time tomorrow! :)

Ya, I am totally cool with this. Would probably ask for 2 SRP though -

Fournier + WAS FRP + BRK 25 SRP + NYK 28 SRP for Brogdan + Reath
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#92 » by KnicksManiac » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:51 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
KnicksManiac wrote:I would love for the Knicks to target Reath in any potential Brogdon deal.

Ya, I am totally cool with this. Would probably ask for 2 SRP though -

Fournier + WAS FRP + BRK 25 SRP + NYK 28 SRP for Brogdan + Reath

You have a deal. I’ll fax it in to the league office.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#93 » by Goldbum » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:54 pm

I think that makes sense for the Knicks. I'm hearing (from only one source so I haven't posted it yet...so please consider that as I hate to share without 2 sources. So I can't speak firmly to the credibility) that Portland is expecting the equivalent of 2 firsts for Brogdan. That could be a first and a young guy they would trade a first for...2 firsts or a guy they like + 1st and some seconds. We'll see but as more players leave the market his value will go up to teams seriously considering a move. I honestly have no idea about the Reath price...maybe he's factored into that expectation maybe not. Could even be Reath + Matisse after January 15th.
I think if someone offer 2 firsts thay likely take it now. If not I expect them to hold out till the bitter end trying to maximize value.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#94 » by red_power » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:07 pm

I wonder if waiving Mays and Wainright means a trade is coming. Or they simply needed to cut someone to create roster spots for Reath and Ibaji? Not sure about that.

Anyway, I think Blazers need to move Tisse ASAP as well. With Camara and Murray, who appears to play decent enough to secure some stable PT on a tanking team, Thybulle is just absolutely an odd fit.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#95 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:15 pm

Portland really does not need another 2024 FRP in any potential Brogdon trade
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:43 pm

red_power wrote:I wonder if waiving Mays and Wainright means a trade is coming. Or they simply needed to cut someone to create roster spots for Reath and Ibaji? Not sure about that.

Anyway, I think Blazers need to move Tisse ASAP as well. With Camara and Murray, who appears to play decent enough to secure some stable PT on a tanking team, Thybulle is just absolutely an odd fit.

Disagree.
Thybulle is one player you never have to worry about giving effort on the court. I absolutely love his fit with the team.

Norm2953 wrote:Portland really does not need another 2024 FRP in any potential Brogdon trade

Agree. The team is already young enough. I'd much rather have picks in the '26 or '27 drafts.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#97 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:40 pm

Another agree on the 24 picks - we have 2 and the draft looks pretty poor.

Also think Matisse is a keeper - Grant is the one that should go. (Hopefully SAC strikes out on Pascal and pivots to Grant).

If BB has a 2 pick asking price he isnt getting traded IMO. Thats a big overvalue.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#98 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:56 pm

I love Matisse, but I'd prefer that we trade him. He'll be a free agent in 1.5 seasons time (he has a player option and if he keeps up his level of performance will surely test FA) plus he agreed to a contract with Dallas (which was structured for us not to match), so I'd rather secure an asset from him then lose him for nothing. His value is at it's peak now.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#99 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 12:26 am

I think the trade with the knicks would be Brogdon for a lottery protected FRP in the 2025
draft.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#100 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jan 9, 2024 2:06 am

Norm2953 wrote:I think the trade with the knicks would be Brogdon for a lottery protected FRP in the 2025
draft.

I dont think NYK will trade one of their own FRP and potentially wreck a chance to offer a 3/3 for a star at some point.

The pick would likely be a choice of the DAL 24, WAS protected or DET protected.

I like the WAS protected the most personally (24 Top-12, 25 Top-10, 26 Top-8) vs the DET protected pick (24 Top-18, 25 Top-13, 26 Top-11, 27 Top-9) - dont really have interest in the DAL 24.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers