Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,173

Re: Game 13: Portland vs OKC 6:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#21 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:16 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Case2012 wrote:It’s crazy we traded Dame and didn’t get a young future all star like OKC did with PG and SGA. We’re not gonna count Ayton…

It's almost like PG was traded when he was 29 compared to 33, George quietly made his request rather than a contentious public one, and the Clippers being able to sign Kawhi was contingent on them being able to trade for George so they were willing to give up everything.

Situations aren't comparable at all.

And SGA was far from a sure thing at the time. But I do understand the frustration when the two main players we got back in the Dame trade are both older and currently injured. The Blazers might have made the best of a bad situation but it was still a poor trade, compounded by this idea we would be able to raise their value during the season, which totally backfired.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:43 pm

Let's hope the 2024 GSW FRP turns into a decent pick in the mid teens
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#23 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:01 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Let's hope the 2024 GSW FRP turns into a decent pick in the mid teens

Right now it would be the 10th pick. And if anything happens to Curry for any length of time it could rise further. It is top 4 protected so we don't want it to ride too high( or if it does we want someone to leap over them and drop them to 5).
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#24 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:23 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:
Case2012 wrote:It’s crazy we traded Dame and didn’t get a young future all star like OKC did with PG and SGA. We’re not gonna count Ayton…

It's almost like PG was traded when he was 29 compared to 33, George quietly made his request rather than a contentious public one, and the Clippers being able to sign Kawhi was contingent on them being able to trade for George so they were willing to give up everything.

Situations aren't comparable at all.

And SGA was far from a sure thing at the time. But I do understand the frustration when the two main players we got back in the Dame trade are both older and currently injured. The Blazers might have made the best of a bad situation but it was still a poor trade, compounded by this idea we would be able to raise their value during the season, which totally backfired.
The main value we got back are Milwaukee's draft picks (incl. swaps). It's frustrating that they're 4+ years away, but it wasn't exactly a seller's market for Dame due to his age, supermax extension, and Dame's agent's horrible faith operational style.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#25 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:35 pm

SGA wasnt SGA when he was traded. He looked really nice as a rookie - but more of a elite glue guy and + defender. Few saw this developmental curve.

OKC is a hell of a team. They are my #2 and watching them is like a chaser after the straight shot of cheap vodka that is watching Portland this year.

I still want us to offer a SRP and TPE for Poku and take a swing. He isnt getting any minutes in OKC.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#26 » by zzaj » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:16 pm

Yeah, judging the Lillard trade in this decade makes no sense. The true payoff will be in the 2030s. It'll live or die then. If everything goes correctly, and the needle gets threaded the Blazers could be a powerhouse team in the 2030s. If everything goes incorrectly, the Blazers will have traded away arguably the best Blazer to suit up who asked to leave, for less value...which was almost always going to happen anyway.

Honestly, I kinda see it as no lose situation.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#27 » by zzaj » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:21 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:If Camara was a decent shooter I would say we have our starter at SF. He reminds me of Jerome Kersey in a lot of ways.

Blazers have their starter at SF. His name is Jerami Grant. What they need is an actual PF.

That presumes Portland doesn't trade Grant at some point

I don't see how the Blazers are going to trade him with his current production on that contract...

I feel like the best scenario is for Chauncey to wake the hell up and put him at SF where he can space the floor and take advantage of some SFs and use his length to his advantage on the other end.

I honestly might consider starting Jabari at PF.

Scoot
Sharpe
Grant
Jabari
Ayton

Scoot needs more spacing to operate. Stash Jabari in the corner for his corner 3 and play 3 out with Ayton being the screener.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#28 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:01 am

zzaj wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Blazers have their starter at SF. His name is Jerami Grant. What they need is an actual PF.

That presumes Portland doesn't trade Grant at some point

I don't see how the Blazers are going to trade him with his current production on that contract...

I feel like the best scenario is for Chauncey to wake the hell up and put him at SF where he can space the floor and take advantage of some SFs and use his length to his advantage on the other end.

I honestly might consider starting Jabari at PF.

Scoot
Sharpe
Grant
Jabari
Ayton

Scoot needs more spacing to operate. Stash Jabari in the corner for his corner 3 and play 3 out with Ayton being the screener.

I wouldn't expect a great return but I believe he could bring a mid to late first ( 18 or later) and a useless expiring. In the meantime I wouldn't mind your idea of Walker and Grant starting. I think Camara has a good future if he can learn to shoot but right now his shooting is hurting the team( though his defense does help).
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#29 » by Norm2953 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:46 am

zzaj wrote:Yeah, judging the Lillard trade in this decade makes no sense. The true payoff will be in the 2030s. It'll live or die then. If everything goes correctly, and the needle gets threaded the Blazers could be a powerhouse team in the 2030s. If everything goes incorrectly, the Blazers will have traded away arguably the best Blazer to suit up who asked to leave, for less value...which was almost always going to happen anyway.

Honestly, I kinda see it as no lose situation.

Trade will be fine, especially if the GSW's pick is a decent pick. Not having to pay Dame his
supermax at ages 35,36 helps

For the Bucks/Celtics, its all about winning a championship this season. If those teams fail,
its going to be loss for neither Dame/Jrue are getting any younger
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,084

Post#30 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:08 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:If Camara was a decent shooter I would say we have our starter at SF. He reminds me of Jerome Kersey in a lot of ways.

Kersey was not a good shooter when he came into the league. Perhaps there is still hope.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#31 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:52 pm

Thing that worries me re Camara building a shot is his age. Might be a rookie but dude is 23.

His FT% in college bounced between a low of 59% and a high of 67%. He is at 68% right now. A FT% that consistently low for what amounts to about half a decade of play is a big indication that a guy is unlikely to develop a consistent shot, 3PT or otherwise.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#32 » by mighty_duck » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:21 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Thing that worries me re Camara building a shot is his age. Might be a rookie but dude is 23.

His FT% in college bounced between a low of 59% and a high of 67%. He is at 68% right now. A FT% that consistently low for what amounts to about half a decade of play is a big indication that a guy is unlikely to develop a consistent shot, 3PT or otherwise.

You're generally right. FT% is a really good predictor of future shooting.

But if we're going with the Kersey narrative - he came into the league at 22, and shot 64% from the line his rookie season (and 69% for his career). Can Camara shoot well enough not to be a liability, while doing all the grunt work on defense and the glass to make himself a plus player? I can see that happening.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#33 » by zzaj » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:32 pm

Camara is a role player when he gets to his prime in a couple of years--which is fine. IMO, anybody asking for more than that is looking with Blazer colored glasses.

I like Camara, and he will get a bit better with experience.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers