Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Re: Will Anfernee make that jump without Dame 

Post#41 » by Norm2953 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:11 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:
Blazers20 wrote:Would the Blazers and Rockets entertain a Scoot for Amen trade?

I wish it’d be a good fit for both teams too. What a mistake Schmitz and company made with Amen.

????

Amen's even less ready than Scoot. Dude will probably never be able to shoot effectively. His jumper is fully broken hes has what... 2 severe ankle sprains in like 15 games of action.

It'd be interesting if the Spurs offered Jeremy Sochan for Scoot.

That would allow the Spurs with another top 3 pick to draft another front court player to replace
Sochan and Portland moves Sochan to PF to pair up front with Grant with Ant, Sharpe and Brogdon
in their BC and Portland would have two FRP to fill their needs
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#42 » by Village Idiot » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:31 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:I wish it’d be a good fit for both teams too. What a mistake Schmitz and company made with Amen.

????

Amen's even less ready than Scoot. Dude will probably never be able to shoot effectively. His jumper is fully broken hes has what... 2 severe ankle sprains in like 15 games of action.

It'd be interesting if the Spurs offered Jeremy Sochan for Scoot.

That would allow the Spurs with another top 3 pick to draft another front court player to replace
Sochan and Portland moves Sochan to PF to pair up front with Grant with Ant, Sharpe and Brogdon
in their BC and Portland would have two FRP to fill their needs
I think Simons makes even more sense to the Spurs. They need both playmaking and shooting.

Simons for:

Sochan
McDermott- ending contract
2024 Chicago pick - which I would trade them for our own pick back
2025 Atlanta pick - unprotected
2017 Atlanta pick - unprotected
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,430

Post#43 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:28 am

JasonStern wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:Yeah he made that jump as a certified 25ppg+ scorer and true pg. It’s crazy how amazing a replacement for Dame he is.

It confirms what I was fearful of when Scoot dropped to us instead of Miller.

We will have to trade Scoot away for Pennie’s on the dollar cause Simons and Sharpe are better than him and go together very well. Sharpe plays his best at the 2 so unless we want to waste a top 3 pick in a backup we gotta cut our losses and trade Scoot he won’t develop in a backup role and there’s no room for him. Trade him for something hopefully really valuable it’s just a matter of when honestly.

Eh. Think you're overreacting. Scoot is looking like a nice to have bench player instead of Westbrook/Rose 2.0. But he's not looking like a total bust that doesn't belong in the league.

That said, let's hijack this thread to turn things back to my favorite player, Shaedon Sharpe. Talk all you want about positionless basketball, but it's not. When people tout positionless basketball, they never mention how are they going to defend opposing players? The Blazers tried a roster with three 6'3" guards and it failed despite having a competent coach. Playing Sharpe one position larger (which we constantly do with Grant) just sets him up to fail - or at least not achieve what he could otherwise.

I’m not saying he is a bust here just that it will be hard to develop with Ant and Shae looking this good together. I agree playing Shae out of position is the wrong move.

I think we are in the same spot as Sac was with Fox and Hali where they have to choose between two star potential guards and choose one. We have three and must pick two.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,430

Post#44 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:31 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:
Blazers20 wrote:Would the Blazers and Rockets entertain a Scoot for Amen trade?

I wish it’d be a good fit for both teams too. What a mistake Schmitz and company made with Amen.

????

It’s about fit one is 6-7/6-8 with a SF wingspan and frame. Amen can easily become a more skilled version of Igoudala who would be a much better fit with Ant and Sharpe as a defending playmaker at the 3 rather than the next D Fox which is ironically what Hou needs as VanVleet was a horrible signing they will have to replace with actual talent that can score and shoot outside the paint something Amen struggles with but Ant and Shaedon can cover up well.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 315

Post#45 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm

Damon, Derek, Bonzi — Stoudamire stopped going to the hoop and was a bad defender. Derek Anderson was an okay sized 2, but was not stout … at all. Bonzi was an undersized 3. Bad trio for D.

Dame, Wesley, Nic … but Wesley had a bad heel that hurt his decent athleticism and the Achilles ended it with the inconsistent Nic.
Good size and skills … too bad.

Ant, Sharpe, Toumani — maybe.
Scoot, Sharpe, Toumani — maybe. Scoot is much more aggressive on D than Ant and has the frame for it.
Scoot, Ant, Sharpe — good on O in the future but undersized at 2 positions on D.

The Scoot vs. Ant argument is a couple years away, but Ant’s leap will up that trade value as early as the February deadline — LESS LIKELY — or by the 2024 draft. Ant is not a 6th man. He CAN become a SG who (sometimes) initiates on a contending team that has a larger PG who can D up SG/SF. That makes for a limited market … or a team that hasn’t had an undersized back court with inferior D for YEARS! The Ant as starting PG requires really good defenders near him and other initiators on O.

If I’m picking for a future’s market, I take Scoot over Ant. For now, Scoot needs to come off the bench, play against more back-ups, and learn the craft of PG at an NBA level. 2 years. Next year, Scoot looks like a different dude. There’s no rush on an Ant trade. At all. The team is supposed to lose and lose a lot … mission accomplished so far. Just keep making improvements while losing.

EDITED: Where to trade Ant in February? To the Toronto Raptors. With GTJ and Scottie Barnes, it’s a good trio. Who returns? A next year’s free agent who will cost a bag. I could go with either one — OG or Pascal. With Bird rights and a BIG role just waiting for either one, make sure the agent gives a massive thumb’s up.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers