ImageImage

Better coach - ChatGPT or Chauncey Billups?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Poll ended at Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:27 pm

ChatGPT
75%
ChatGPT
25%

Total votes: 8

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,942

Post#1 » by JasonStern » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:27 pm

The ultimate question that really isn't an ultimate question. Has modern AI superseded Chauncey Billups as a basketball coach? Like could modern AI formulate a better game plan and execute better than Chauncey Billups? Blazers - powered by Nvidia, Blazers - powered by Intel, Blazers - powered by Qualcomm, etc. The threshold again is Chauncey Billups.

And I know I sound cynical. Chauncey is a great tank commander. Not sure if that's a compliment. Just playing with AI a bit recently and in general, I could see teams adapting it. Computers evaluating every game ever played and identifying an ideal play to run given a specific situation versus Chauncey showing up with a dry erase board but not drawing Xs and Os and motion patterns. So, it's just an awkward flex that he has a dry erase board.

Random topic, but down season for the team.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Re: Better coach - ChatGPT or Chauncey Billups? 

Post#2 » by RTG HD » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:45 am

I don't think you need the AI to be very modern to beat the coaching we have now.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 976

Post#3 » by Waynearchetype » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:19 pm

The inability to run plays for a premiere rookie PG is probably contributing to Scoots slow start as well.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,019

Post#4 » by DusterBuster » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:21 pm

This has been a weird 2nd years for Chauncey. Let me preface this post of mild praise by saying, I still think he's a subpar coach.

That said..... one of my biggest signs of a "good" coach is having buy-in from the players. Chauncey has the team pretty connected, and while they're not a good team by any stretch, they've been in more games than not and they are playing hard. Maybe it's just the historically bad bottom of the league this year making the Blazers look better than they are (Spurs, Warriors, Pistons) by simply trying.

I'll also say, I don't even really hate some of his late game playcalling this year when looked at through the lens of development. if looked at through the lens of winning games, it's pure horse ****. But letting guys hone their instincts in last-second / game-closing moments, especially in a seasons where development is more important than winning, I don't altogether hate that. You don't want guys to develop bad habits, but putting them in pressure situations and having to figure it out on the fly is important.

So in the effort of being fair, Chauncey is still very low on my list of ideal coaches (I wish they'd hire Bud)... but I have seen some improvement and he clearly has the team connected and playing to their (very limited) talent level.

Sorry, that rant really wasn't totally on topic. I honestly wouldn't hate the idea of a team toying with it. Again, in a season where wins don't matter, having an assistant working with AI to draw up plans mid-game based off what the opponent is doing would be interesting.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#5 » by Norm2953 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:05 pm

Things could be worse for imagine the grief old friend Monty Williams is going through in Detroit
for likely a number of Pistons fans might prefer Chauncey to Monty

I do think ultimately Chauncey will be replaced but it will be when management feels the team is
closer to contention.He's got one more year under his deal with a team option for a second year

Return to Portland Trail Blazers