Game 26: Portland vs Phoenix 7:00pm Root+,Root

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Re: Game 26: Portland vs Phoenix 7:00pm Root+,Root 

Post#21 » by JRoy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:40 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
JRoy wrote:Talked to my son after he came back from the game. He said Ayton is even worse in person. Bad hands, has to think before making a move and flinches away from contact.

Yup, all the same warts the Suns complained about. I think all 3 of those are inherently unfixable as they aren't skill or experience related but entirely mentality/personality related.

Which, whatever we aren't trying to win right now and his rebounding+midrange shooting is helpful in the meantime while others develop. But we definitely need to keep our eye out for a center upgrade and if we can shop Ayton to bring back any assets we should not get attached or see him as a long-term piece.

My son was especially irritated about Ayton walking back on d.

My son remembers I never would have tolerated him doing the same.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:10 pm

Apparently TL (Williams) was supposed to have been a big part of this team this season and
may yet be he can come back next season to be the rebounder/defender this team has needed.

There should be a center we can draft with the GSW pick. but imagine this team if we could add
Sarr to this roster for next season?
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#23 » by zzaj » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:11 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Apparently TL (Williams) was supposed to have been a big part of this team this season and
may yet be he can come back next season to be the rebounder/defender this team has needed.

There should be a center we can draft with the GSW pick. but imagine this team if we could add

I'm thinking the Blazers are going to be stuck with Ayton for the forseeable future. His contract makes him nearly impossible to trade at his production.

I am amazed that the Blazers haven't focused more attention on forcefeeding him the ball, if not designing an offense around him as a major option.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,173

Post#24 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:38 am

zzaj wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Apparently TL (Williams) was supposed to have been a big part of this team this season and

I'm thinking the Blazers are going to be stuck with Ayton for the forseeable future. His contract makes him nearly impossible to trade at his production.

I am amazed that the Blazers haven't focused more attention on forcefeeding him the ball, if not designing an offense around him as a major option.

He doesn't fight for positions and he doesn't catch interior passes against defensive pressure. Can only scale his usage so much...
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,942

Post#25 » by JasonStern » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:39 am

I guess I'll start with another hat tip to the GLB. Very beautiful woman. And the fact that someone that looks like Jared Jeter can pull that off just proves I'm just several million dollars away from being able to do the same myself.

I don't get the Ayton hate. Is he overpaid? Yes. But so was Nurkić. Is he Jokic/Embiid tier? No. But neither was Nurkić. Is he a relatively young, somewhat productive player? Whiteside 2.0? Certainly looking like it. And unless you want to play Grant (a natural SF) a few minutes at center, it's not like we have a ton of options at this point.

Same with Simons. Does he have flaws in his game? Yes. Is he still productive? Yes. Does he have more career rebounds at 24 than Jerami Grant? Too lazy to look it up, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Timelord was a salary dump as part of the Boston trade. And while we can hope that he can come back in some form, he has Brandon Roy knees. Unless he really loves the game or really loves the league, given the amount of money he's made, he's probably done - at least as a player. Sucks, because he's a likeable guy.

In Billups' defense- yeah, I've got nothing. But that's known. I'm happy we aren't going 0-82. Because if there was one currently employed coach that could pull it off... But the team seems pretty committed to never giving Chicago that protected 1st round pick. And he's the perfect coach for achieving that.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#26 » by Norm2953 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:00 am

I'm not ready to complete write off TL and hope after a full season of recovery and rehab,
he can comeback and contribute. It'll be interesting how the Blazers view TL for that GSW
pick has a real chance at Portland drafting someone like Clingan to play a similar role to
what Portland hoped for in TL.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#27 » by m0ng0 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:21 am

Sadly I think Williams is cooked
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:06 am

Likely but it'll be interesting to see how Portland uses that GSW pick.

THere is a chance Clingan will be another Kessler (Utahj
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#29 » by m0ng0 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:17 pm

You are right, I hope they can get a solid big man or two, Williams will hang around and hopefully with us but his days as a high minutes guy are gone I feel.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers