Game 27: Portland vs Washington 7:00pm Root,Root+ 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:45 am

vs.

Time: 7:00pm
Place: Moda Center
TV: Root, Root+

GLB of the game Olivia Munn
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Re: Game 27: Portland vs Washington 7:00pm Root,Root+ 

Post#2 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:05 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:39 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:16 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#5 » by mighty_duck » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:37 am

Do my eyes deceive me, or did Chauncy play an NBA sized lineup for a couple of minutes???

Ant/Brogdon/Camara/Walker/Reath
And then Ayton/ Grant replaced Walker/Reath to keep the size.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#6 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:55 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#7 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:04 am

Man, I know he's super young... And I'm trying to keep the faith here... But Scoot Henderson is straight awful. I'm seriously worried about him. He literally does nothing well. He's **** awful at the rim, his handles are loose as ****.... He can't shoot... He might turn into a defender at some point... But man his absolute pie in the sky outcome is looking more and more like a Marcus Smart level player. His offensive game is just ass.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#8 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:36 am

Roy The Natural wrote:Man, I know he's super young... And I'm trying to keep the faith here... But Scoot Henderson is straight awful. I'm seriously worried about him. He literally does nothing well. He's **** awful at the rim, his handles are loose as ****.... He can't shoot... He might turn into a defender at some point... But man his absolute pie in the sky outcome is looking more and more like a Marcus Smart level player. His offensive game is just ass.

To expand on this... I do think he has potential still. He might not be a star.or anything, but he could be good. Nothing seems fundamentally broken. It's just a myriad of things that need a lot of work... Which is frustrating because it leaves you with a player who's not good at anything, but could be good at a bunch of things if he takes the right steps.

He can't go left... Do players just sit on his right hand.....

His handles are loose, despite having big hands, he's constantly losing the ball while dribbling.

Despite having a big and strong frame he attacks like a wussy. He contorts his body all sorts of ways to avoid contact, and just throws up wild bull crap at the rim.

Despite his jumpers general form being pretty solid, his footwork is an absolutely embarrassing disaster.

Despite having solid vision, his decision making is garbage and he plays dumb when passing more often than not.

He plays with no change of pace and gets himself into horrible situations that exacerbate all his other issues almost every time he attacks from the half court.

A lot of this stuff you could reasonably see improving, however... It's just a lost of stuff that he plain sucks at... And it's going to be hard to trust him with anything until stuff gets better.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#9 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:40 am

Consolation GLB pic
Spoiler:
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,173

Post#10 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:48 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:Man, I know he's super young... And I'm trying to keep the faith here... But Scoot Henderson is straight awful. I'm seriously worried about him. He literally does nothing well. He's **** awful at the rim, his handles are loose as ****.... He can't shoot... He might turn into a defender at some point... But man his absolute pie in the sky outcome is looking more and more like a Marcus Smart level player. His offensive game is just ass.

To expand on this... I do think he has potential still. He might not be a star.or anything, but he could be good. Nothing seems fundamentally broken. It's just a myriad of things that need a lot of work... Which is frustrating because it leaves you with a player who's not good at anything, but could be good at a bunch of things if he takes the right steps.

His handles are loose, despite having big hands, he's constantly losing the ball while dribbling.

Despite having a big and strong frame he attacks like a wussy. He contorts his body all sorts of ways to avoid contact, and just throws up wild bull crap at the rim.

Despite his jumpers general form being pretty solid, his footwork is an absolutely embarrassing disaster.

Despite having solid vision, his decision making is garbage and he plays dumb when passing more often than not.

He plays with no change of pace and gets himself into horrible situations that exacerbate all his other issues almost every time he attacks from the half court.

A lot of this stuff you could reasonably see improving, however... It's just a lost of stuff that he plain sucks at... And it's going to be hard to trust him with anything until stuff gets better.

It's not hopeless but he has a mountain of work to do.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#11 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:07 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

It's not hopeless but he has a mountain of work to do.

Yea.. I think that's the frightening part. If you squint you can see it... But it's literally so bad in all areas right now that it almost feels counterproductive to play him. It's one thing to be bad on the court, but he needs to spend a **** ton of time in the practice facility just ironing out things like going left, finishing with his left, stable footwork in his jumper.

It feels like in baseball we brought up some single A guy who was totally overwhelmed at the MLB level. Dude needs some AA seasoning.

A lot of the stuff that's really killing him, is things I don't think he can effectively improve much in-season. He has no left hand to speak of, and that's just not going to fly while simultaneously having an awful jumper.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#12 » by JRoy » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:12 am

Roy The Natural wrote:

I saw him carry the ball 3 times on a single drive the other day.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#13 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:35 am

JRoy wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

I saw him carry the ball 3 times on a single drive the other day.

The thing is... he's actually fluid with the ball, his dribble moves, and his hips are fluid. He's not stiff or robotic with the ball. He also has huge hands. It's pretty baffling as to why/how he seems to not be able grip the ball as well as he should, or at least why he seems to fumble it when dribbling so much. He looks natural dribbling for the majority of time, and then he'll just totally biff it with the ball.

I think longterm, I don't have any concerns with his handling. It's like 85%+ chance he irons that out in the next couple of years. My biggest concern is just his left hand, and his shooting. I think he could iron out his shooting, but the NBA doesn't normally have 3-4 years of patience if it takes him a long time to iron his shooting out.

He needs to iron out his left hand, or his shooting by sometime next season or his career is probably type cast into some sort of niche role. Teams just don't give 3-4 years to guards trying to figure out their offense.

IDK... nothing we can do. It's on Scoot. At this point, I'm braced for a Darius Garland rookie year. My only hope is that he can follow that up like Garland did and improve tremendously going into his sophomore year. I do think he has the tools to be an all-star caliber player, but there's a mountain of areas he has to fix/improve to get there.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,430

Post#14 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:00 am

As soon as we’re done tanking Billups has got to go he is just low bbiq as a coach.

Ant fr is gonna be better than dame in a year or two. I can see why NeO said he’s the best prospect he’s ever drafted.

We set back the rebuild going Scoot over Amen. We should’ve learned our lesson with Dame and CJ. Maybe the front office was as confident in Ant?

Amen is just a much better fit and will probably be at least equal to Scoot but has the better fit potential as a starting SF and has a even higher ceiling than his brother Ausar as a playmaker and scorer. This was the time to forgo BPA and just draft a Thompson twin.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#15 » by zzaj » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:21 pm

I’ll play devil’s advocate…

So far he’s tracking almost identically with Chauncey Billups as a player this far into his NBA career.

I simply refuse to judge his future based on his play so far. Judge him based on hype and draft position? Sure…I have no problem with that.

It’s INCREDIBLY difficult to be a primary ballhandler in the NBA. It’s eons above the level of difficulty that College and (now) the Gleague present. I’ve personally talked with Damon, Jamal Crawford, Aaron Miles and Terrell Brandon (at length) about this very subject.

The left hand is a concern, but it shouldn’t be a surprise. I watched every ounce of video available of Scoot pre-draft, and IIRC I saw him pass twice with his left—literally, twice. I watched specifically for lefty layups, reverse finishes and dunks. Not a single one as I recall. If I noticed it you can be sure as taxes that the Blazers saw it—they knew what they were getting into.
This is a skill that trainers can fast-track, but it’s almost a guarantee that it will never be as natural as the right. The good news is, he’s 19 and his skillset is still malleable. I’d be more worried about it if he was coming in after playing 2-4 years of college.

His shot is going to take time and reps with a good coach, which I’m not sure the Blazers have. I haven’t looked closely, but my guess is he’s shooting much better OTD than in C&S—that’s good—much preferable to vice versa.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#16 » by JRoy » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:20 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:As soon as we’re done tanking Billups has got to go he is just low bbiq as a coach.

Ant fr is gonna be better than dame in a year or two. I can see why NeO said he’s the best prospect he’s ever drafted.

We set back the rebuild going Scoot over Amen. We should’ve learned our lesson with Dame and CJ. Maybe the front office was as confident in Ant?

Amen is just a much better fit and will probably be at least equal to Scoot but has the better fit potential as a starting SF and has a even higher ceiling than his brother Ausar as a playmaker and scorer. This was the time to forgo BPA and just draft a Thompson twin.

Agreed with all except Simons becoming better than Lillard.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#17 » by Norm2953 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:07 pm

JRoy wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:As soon as we’re done tanking Billups has got to go he is just low bbiq as a coach.

Perhaps by 2026 when Dame is 36 and Ant is 27.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,430

Post#18 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:13 am

JRoy wrote:

He already has better output than Dame at the same age only 9 games but if he keeps it up I shave no doubt he will.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers