Trade No One
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 68

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Re: 2024 Trade Deadline: who is available? 

Post#101 » by JasonStern » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:17 pm

GEE wrote:Another buy low I'd still like to kick the tires on: Ben Simmons, considering the picks BKN has makes me think of them fondly.

Scoot and Simmons on the same team? They'd have to put up some sort of plastic barrier to protect the fans from stray balls.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,960

Post#102 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:25 pm

Ayton playing PF would be hilarious.

Scoot, Ayton and Mark Williams in a lineup would be the worse floor spacing of any SL since like the early 2000s.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#103 » by GEE » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:33 pm

Could there be a relationship curve that shows: The biggest critics MAY HAVE the fewest ideas of thier own. Curious.
GEE
Starter

Post#104 » by GEE » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:47 pm

JasonStern wrote:
GEE wrote:Another buy low I'd still like to kick the tires on: Ben Simmons, considering the picks BKN has makes me think of them fondly.

Scoot and Simmons on the same team? They'd have to put up some sort of plastic barrier to protect the fans from stray balls.

YES! I was thinking this:

Simons / Scoot
Sharpe / ?
Grant / Simmons
TimeLord / Walker
Ayton / M.Wiliams

Any chance BKN would have interest in Simmons for Brogden and Thybulle? And what PICKS might they be willing to add?
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#105 » by Goldbum » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:51 pm

I was all over the Ben Simmons possibility for a hot minute...but I was wrong and that ship has sailed into the Bermuda Triangle. I thought with Ben at the 4 playing point forward and spraying the ball out to
Ant
Sharpe
Grant
Ayton could be fun if we keep him around the break so he can see the floor. Problem is you CAN NOT gave Simmons and Scoot on the floor together.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#106 » by kdawg32086 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:57 am

What I would probably do:
Brogdon to the Knicks for Fournier, Sims, and a FRP.
Williams to Houston for Jeff Green and a FRP.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#107 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:03 am

kdawg32086 wrote:What I would probably do:

Yeah seems sensible assuming nothing crazy comes along our way
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 843

Post#108 » by tester551 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:25 am

kdawg32086 wrote:What I would probably do:

Why would the Rockets consider that?
I think these are overly optimistic...
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#109 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:06 am

The real question is will Brogdon's knees be available at the deadline at this point.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#110 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:56 pm

tester551 wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:
GEE wrote:

Again, for the hundredth time, I really want to take a shot at Mark Williams. Not sure if he's really that injured, or is he maybe just unhappy in Charolettte. Don't know, but if he could be gettable with just some picks... I think I would try very hard to get him. Also want to keep TimeLord to see what he looks like. Ayton would make three solid young BIGS potentially.

I also feel strongly that Ayton's offensive game reminds me alot of LA12's. A bit soft in the paint, but quite deadly shooting from 15-18ft. on offense. Point being that I think he could play as a PF, along side a more tradition 5, but agree with you and hope Cronin and Schultz have a target or two that we can add to our core, using Brogden &/or Grant &/or Thybulle.

:vent:
Ayton would get roasted on defense by agile, more perimeter focussed power forwards.

I personally don't want anything to do with Mark Williams... However, this response is lazy.

It is the same thing we saw when people suggested playing Grant at SF. Claims that Grant would be too slow on D and couldn't be effective on offense. With Walker now starting at PF, Grant has been playing his best primarily at the SF.

Ayton as a PF is viable in short stretches. We saw glimpse of that when RWIII and Ayton played together (albeit not for much time).

It's funny that you call my response lazy when yours is made up of exaggerated premise, when you say that people thought Grant couldn't play SF. I'm not sure where you were reading that, because most Blazers fans had no issue with Grant defending SFs.

Also the proposal was to pair Mark Williams with Ayton. Saying "Ayton as a PF is viable in small stretches" isn't doing much to support the notion of Ayton being a starting PF.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#111 » by tester551 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:59 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
tester551 wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:Ayton would get roasted on defense by agile, more perimeter focussed power forwards.

I personally don't want anything to do with Mark Williams... However, this response is lazy.

It is the same thing we saw when people suggested playing Grant at SF. Claims that Grant would be too slow on D and couldn't be effective on offense. With Walker now starting at PF, Grant has been playing his best primarily at the SF.

Ayton as a PF is viable in short stretches. We saw glimpse of that when RWIII and Ayton played together (albeit not for much time).

It's funny that you call my response lazy when yours is made up of exaggerated premise, when you say that people thought Grant couldn't play SF. I'm not sure where you were reading that, because most Blazers fans had no issue with Grant defending SFs.

Also the proposal was to pair Mark Williams with Ayton. Saying "Ayton as a PF is viable in small stretches" isn't doing much to support the notion of Ayton being a starting PF.

I don't have a strong opinion regarding Ayton playing PF.... so I'm not going to put much effort into 'supporting' that notion. IMO, the best course of action is to try it out during actual games. If after 20-minutes of game time, its obviously not working - pull the plug. If it's inconclusive, give it more time until you can make a determination of the effectiveness.

Regarding Grant, during the fall - a few of us on the forums (could have been the other one I frequent), suggested that Grant's best position would be SF. That was met with a lot of opposition (granted, it could have been 1 or 2 really LOUD/frequent posters).

If you didn't have an issue with it, then cool.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,870

Post#112 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:29 am

NBA trade deadline is February 8. Hopefully Malcolm's knees will hold up for another 10 days.

I do think going into next season, Chauncey has to go for the Blazers need a coach that will have a
plan on how to develop Scoot, SS and whoever is the #1 pick.
GEE
Starter

Post#113 » by GEE » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:32 pm

Big picture, I actually really like our current roster in full... If healthy, The obvious massive change from just a couple years ago, to what we now have in a pretty quick amount of time, is alot to take for us Blazer fans.

I enjoyed watching the Philly game, sorta. Was reminded how Brogden and Grant are pretty damn good when they want to be. Thybulle too, but just not as a starter. Lots of talent on this roster, already have a bunch of future picks, and positioned nicely to make just about any type of trade, any other GM would possibly want to make... But I really don't want to make a BAD/DUMB trade either...

DEADLINE, only one week away... Oh what genius might Cronin and Schultz have in store for us? Wish I knew :rock:
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#114 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:16 pm

Brogdon saying the right thing with "being happy in Portland"...but it does make you wonder how much he does want a starting role and a mentoring role. Part of me thinks he's probably relishing the fact that he's carrying the team right now (carrying to what, I don't know). If you think back on it, all of the rumors of him being unhappy have been in places where he's come off the bench.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#115 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:10 pm

It's surely best for both parties to trade Brogdon.

He deserves to contribute on a contender, and it makes no sense for Portland for him to win us games at the expense of youth development opportunities and decreased NBA draft odds (in an already expected bad draft).

Chauncey is playing with fire though and risking Brogdon not being tradeable if he reinjures himself though. He needs a minutes restriction, which suits a 6MOY role on a contender anyway.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#116 » by Goldbum » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:40 pm

My crazy fantasy trade scenario:

Portland gets Fultz, Fournier, Jarace Walker, the Washington or Pheonix 2026 first from Orlando and Milwaukee 2025 pick from NYK.

Malcom + Reath to NYK

Grimes + Jerami to IND

Hield + the lesser of Portland's 2nd round picks this year to ORL

I'm probably being greedy sending Hield to ORL but that Denver pick is going to be at the end of the first and I don't think we want 4 more rookies next year. We clear a ton of salary get a major building block in Jarace and sets us up to have 2 firsts a year for the next 3 drafts if we can manage to get a 2026 first for Matisse(think Rayan will be ready for Matisse's minutes next year).

It's a pipe-dream but I think every team gets what they need.

Edit: I am not hearing anything from sources right now. Legitimately nothing of substance, both sources are on teams looking to make moves and neither has had Portland even looped in on negotiations.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by tester551 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:08 pm

Goldbum wrote:My crazy fantasy trade scenario:

Portland gets Fultz, Fournier, Jarace Walker, the Washington or Pheonix 2026 first from Orlando and Milwaukee 2025 pick from NYK.

Malcom + Reath to NYK

Grimes + Jerami to IND

Hield + the lesser of Portland's 2nd round picks this year to ORL

I'm probably being greedy sending Hield to ORL but that Denver pick is going to be at the end of the first and I don't think we want 4 more rookies next year. We clear a ton of salary get a major building block in Jarace and sets us up to have 2 firsts a year for the next 3 drafts if we can manage to get a 2026 first for Matisse(think Rayan will be ready for Matisse's minutes next year).

It's a pipe-dream but I think every team gets what they need.

Edit: I am not hearing anything from sources right now. Legitimately nothing of substance, both sources are on teams looking to make moves and neither has had Portland even looped in on negotiations.

I like the ideas.

Also thanks for the intel. It's disappointing that Portland's not currently active in the discussions (with at least your sources' teams)
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,026

Post#118 » by DusterBuster » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:12 pm

Goldbum wrote:Edit: I am not hearing anything from sources right now. Legitimately nothing of substance, both sources are on teams looking to make moves and neither has had Portland even looped in on negotiations.

This is what insiders around the Blazers seem to be saying as well. Seems really unlikely the Blazers do anything of substance and in general it might be a bit of a overall quiet deadline.

I know things can pivot fast with trades, but my optimism is low that Brogdon gets traded at the deadline.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Butter
General Manager
And1: 127

Post#119 » by Butter » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:53 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Goldbum wrote:Edit: I am not hearing anything from sources right now. Legitimately nothing of substance, both sources are on teams looking to make moves and neither has had Portland even looped in on negotiations.

This is what insiders around the Blazers seem to be saying as well. Seems really unlikely the Blazers do anything of substance and in general it might be a bit of a overall quiet deadline.

I know things can pivot fast with trades, but my optimism is low that Brogdon gets traded at the deadline.

Is there any benefit to the Blazers to wait till the off season to make a trade, aside from one more year off existing contracts?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,026

Post#120 » by DusterBuster » Mon Feb 5, 2024 10:25 pm

Butter wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Is there any benefit to the Blazers to wait till the off season to make a trade, aside from one more year off existing contracts?

I just don't see any urgency to make moves right now tbh. Everyone seems pretty unanimously unimpressed by this upcoming draft, so moving Brogdon for a deal where you get a 2024 pick in the 20-30 range probably isn't that appealing to the Blazers. They very likely value his leadership and presence on the team more than that asset.

Letting the summer come and then maybe even potentially extending Brogdon's deal for a year or two so he's not expiring or working a S&T with a vet team for Brogdon this summer for a pick or picks in 2025 or beyond is probably more enticing to them. So the way I see it, it's less that there's a distinct bright-flashing "benefit", as much as there's just no real downside to waiting it out until the summer.

Get to the offseason, see where the ping-pong balls fall, then decide on Brogdon.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll

Return to Portland Trail Blazers