Trade No One
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 68

Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Re: 2024 Trade Deadline: who is available? 

Post#121 » by Butter » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:43 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Butter wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
This is what insiders around the Blazers seem to be saying as well. Seems really unlikely the Blazers do anything of substance and in general it might be a bit of a overall quiet deadline.

I know things can pivot fast with trades, but my optimism is low that Brogdon gets traded at the deadline.

Is there any benefit to the Blazers to wait till the off season to make a trade, aside from one more year off existing contracts?

I just don't see any urgency to make moves right now tbh. Everyone seems pretty unanimously unimpressed by this upcoming draft, so moving Brogdon for a deal where you get a 2024 pick in the 20-30 range probably isn't that appealing to the Blazers. They very likely value his leadership and presence on the team more than that asset.

Letting the summer come and then maybe even potentially extending Brogdon's deal for a year or two so he's not expiring or working a S&T with a vet team for Brogdon this summer for a pick or picks in 2025 or beyond is probably more enticing to them. So the way I see it, it's less that there's a distinct bright-flashing "benefit", as much as there's just no real downside to waiting it out until the summer.

Get to the offseason, see where the ping-pong balls fall, then decide on Brogdon.

I can see that
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#122 » by zzaj » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:06 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Butter wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
This is what insiders around the Blazers seem to be saying as well. Seems really unlikely the Blazers do anything of substance and in general it might be a bit of a overall quiet deadline.

I know things can pivot fast with trades, but my optimism is low that Brogdon gets traded at the deadline.

Is there any benefit to the Blazers to wait till the off season to make a trade, aside from one more year off existing contracts?

I just don't see any urgency to make moves right now tbh. Everyone seems pretty unanimously unimpressed by this upcoming draft, so moving Brogdon for a deal where you get a 2024 pick in the 20-30 range probably isn't that appealing to the Blazers. They very likely value his leadership and presence on the team more than that asset.

Letting the summer come and then maybe even potentially extending Brogdon's deal for a year or two so he's not expiring or working a S&T with a vet team for Brogdon this summer for a pick or picks in 2025 or beyond is probably more enticing to them. So the way I see it, it's less that there's a distinct bright-flashing "benefit", as much as there's just no real downside to waiting it out until the summer.

Get to the offseason, see where the ping-pong balls fall, then decide on Brogdon.

I tend to agree with this. As long as Brogdon privately is actually fine being here (I don't believe him saying as much to the media...what is he SUPPOSED to say?) I think it makes more sense to keep him through the deadline than trading him for the exact reasons you mentioned.

So far Scoot has gradually shown progress off the bench behind Brogdon, as well as playing alongside him...nothing wrong with hoping that trend continues. By now, I think the Blazers know what they have with Scoot. As long as Scoot still gets 25-30 minutes a night, I see no real downside to keeping Brogdon.

It is going to get real interesting once Sharpe gets back. I have no doubt the Blazers aren't going to rush him. May as well make sure he's totally healed.

As others have said, I'm more worried about Sharpe than I am Scoot at this point. Scoot has at least shown progress. Sharpe is basically the same player he was in his first games as a Blazer...albeit slightly better as a passer. THAT is concerning.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#123 » by Norm2953 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:25 am

With Scoot, the Blazers have mentioned the similarities to Westbrook. He's on pace to
average what Westbrook averaged in his 15.3 PPG rookie season.

I do wonder if SS will be closer to Wiggins, for his motor which scouts questioned in the 2022
draft runs hot and cold.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,018

Post#124 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:10 am

zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Butter wrote:

I tend to agree with this. As long as Brogdon privately is actually fine being here (I don't believe him saying as much to the media...what is he SUPPOSED to say?) I think it makes more sense to keep him through the deadline than trading him for the exact reasons you mentioned.

So far Scoot has gradually shown progress off the bench behind Brogdon, as well as playing alongside him...nothing wrong with hoping that trend continues. By now, I think the Blazers know what they have with Scoot. As long as Scoot still gets 25-30 minutes a night, I see no real downside to keeping Brogdon.

I think Brogdon is pretty legit about wanting to stay. It's not just the basic platitudes you get from players. He has been pretty candid about how much he didn't like his time with the Celtics because of how he felt unappreciated. He has said he's felt totally different here. Some people are just wired differently about what they value and what they want out of life and a work situation.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#125 » by PDXKnight » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:06 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I think Brogdon is pretty legit about wanting to stay. It's not just the basic platitudes you get from players. He has been pretty candid about how much he didn't like his time with the Celtics because of how he felt unappreciated. He has said he's felt totally different here. Some people are just wired differently about what they value and what they want out of life and a work situation.

Brogdon values playing time it seems which who knows how long until the young guards beat him out but for now his steady presence is certainly a nice thing for us.

There are rumors he's seeking an extension, not sure how I feel about that but length abd price would seem like like important factors
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#126 » by Butter » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:53 am

Real quiet so far. Any Blazers rumors floating around?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#127 » by PDXKnight » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:26 pm

Butter wrote:Real quiet so far. Any Blazers rumors floating around?

It's been silent but this regime is also pretty tight lipped it seems.

Kinda sounds likely brogdon will stay according to woj, Grant seems unlikely to be dealt as well. So that leaves timelord & thisse (or an even smaller move) probably barring a can't miss type of offer.
J-RITZ
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#128 » by J-RITZ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:18 pm

Although the team probably will not trade JG or Brogdon at the deadline, i personally think its a huge mistake. I think their value is higher now than it will be in the offseason, or anytime after. JG & Malcolm have a ton of value right now for a team that is looking to contend and make a playoff run this year. That value decreases significantly in the offseason & thereafter. We gain nothing, but lose in the long term by holding on to these guys...
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#129 » by red_power » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:08 pm

When I see the 2024 draft's big boards it doesn't make much sense for me to hang on Grant.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#130 » by PDXKnight » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:54 pm

red_power wrote:When I see the 2024 draft's big boards it doesn't make much sense for me to hang on Grant.

I don't think necessarily. We don't know if this player will start from day 1 and usually too many wings is a good problem to have and cab be mitigated in the trade market pretty easily if that is needed
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#131 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:10 pm

If people are only offering 2024 picks for either Brodon or Grant, we should definitely hang on imo. We have four picks in this draft which is considered weak, I'd rather extra shots in future drafts.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#132 » by Norm2953 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:25 pm

Unless the team Is willing to take multiple seconds for Thybulle, I'm skeptical anything will get done. 2024 picks (as they should) have less appeal to Portland. Sharpe's injury makes a Brogdon less appealing
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#133 » by zzaj » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:42 pm

Honestly, I'm glad Brogdon is on the team given Sharpe's likely season ending injury. I couldn't stomach that shrimpy PG they had running the show for a while. And the Brogdon-lite option (Mays) sails for the yellow and purple now...
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#134 » by PDXKnight » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:48 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:If people are only offering 2024 picks for either Brodon or Grant, we should definitely hang on imo. We have four picks in this draft which is considered weak, I'd rather extra shots in future drafts.

Yeah I'd hope for decent draft capital at least which probably isn't gonna come from any team dealing a 24 first for brog
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#135 » by Goldbum » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:20 am

Any I interest in KJ Martin/Expiring and a 2026 1st (worst of 3 teams) ?
Or
Expiring + Grimes and a 2025 Milwaukee pick?
Both cost you Brogdon and Reath.

With Shaedon down give me Grimes. I'm betting he could start and revive enough value you can get another 1st or use him in a package for a guy we like. KJ is so similar to our other combo forwards that I prefer getting a short term starter/lottery ticket.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 842

Post#136 » by tester551 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:42 pm

Goldbum wrote:Any I interest in KJ Martin/Expiring and a 2026 1st (worst of 3 teams) ?
Or

With Shaedon down give me Grimes. I'm betting he could start and revive enough value you can get another 1st or use him in a package for a guy we like. KJ is so similar to our other combo forwards that I prefer getting a short term starter/lottery ticket.

I would prefer the Knick package - but give me Detroit's pick instead of Milwaukee's.

The other benefit would be that Portland would be far enough below the tax to get a salary dump from a team.

Maybe something like Korkmaz + future Phi 2nd. Then trade Korkmaz to Toronto for McDaniels
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#137 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:21 pm

Seeing the kind of deals that are getting done makes me agree with Cronin that it's better to sit this one out.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#138 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:22 pm

Goldbum wrote:Any I interest in KJ Martin/Expiring and a 2026 1st (worst of 3 teams) ?
Or

Something you've heard or just throwing an idea out there?
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 842

Post#139 » by tester551 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:29 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Or

Something you've heard or just throwing an idea out there?

I'm assuming that is what he was hearing as a potential.

Doesn't matter now - as both NYK & Philly have made their moves.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#140 » by Norm2953 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:43 pm

is the only move that will get done is to convert Reath to a standard contract?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers