Game 34: Portland vs Dallas 5:30pm Root, Root+ 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Jan 5, 2024 9:05 am

vs.

Time: 5:30pm
Place: Dallas
TV: Root, Root+

GLB of the game Emily Ratajkowski
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Re: Game 34: Portland vs Dallas 5:30pm Root, Root+ 

Post#2 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jan 5, 2024 4:58 pm

Probably another blowout loss. With no bigs and Chauncey doing a crappy job of coaching its hard to see us coming out of Dallas with a win
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 6, 2024 1:33 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 6, 2024 2:09 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#5 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 6, 2024 2:49 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#6 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:05 am

Another laugher... Team needs to move the veterans at the deadline, and just embrace the next half decade of rebuilding.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#7 » by Moonbeam » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:12 am

This third quarter has been a comedy of errors. That inbound right to Dallas after a Dallas make for an easy layup was the icing on the cake.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:22 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#9 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:59 am

Moonbeam wrote:This third quarter has been a comedy of errors. That inbound right to Dallas after a Dallas make for an easy layup was the icing on the cake.

Yea... I'm pretty over Simons too. I know he's sick and all but I don't feel like he's the future. Playing Scoot off the ball provides absolutely nothing.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:15 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:This third quarter has been a comedy of errors. That inbound right to Dallas after a Dallas make for an easy layup was the icing on the cake.

Yea... I'm pretty over Simons too. I know he's sick and all but I don't feel like he's the future. Playing Scoot off the ball provides absolutely nothing.

Scoot needs the ball in his hands
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#11 » by mighty_duck » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:41 am

Sharpe has looked horrible since his return from injury. Hopefully it's just a conditioning/ rhythm issue.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,408

Post#12 » by Blazinaway » Sat Jan 6, 2024 1:29 pm

I was more worried about Scoot than Sharpe and that in now reversing
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:26 pm

I wouldn't be worried about Shaedon. Abductor injurie are no joke and he's coming off the bench on a minutes restriction dealing with the return of Ant at the same time.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#14 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:13 am

Consolation GLB pic
Spoiler:
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#15 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:54 am

Roy The Natural wrote:

yeah, Simons just seems like CJ 2.0. His best position is PG (like CJ) but Portland has Scoot and he's playing well enough now to keep the starting job. That means Ant starting moves Sharpe to the bench. And the reality is that Scoot doesn't play well alongside Ant, and neither does Sharpe. Ant gets his points but they don't impact winning. Blazers are 2-11 with Ant, and 7-14 without him. There's a lot going into those records but kind of differential shouldn't be ignored....

neither should this: Portland was 9th in defensive rating prior to Ant's return; they are now 20th. Again, there's a lot of factors contributing to that collapse, but the correlation with Ant's return shouldn't be ignored either

I think Ant should be traded. That doesn't mean the Blazers should dump him; they need to get a good return. But the era of undersized Blazer SG's and undersized back courts needs to end
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,172

Post#16 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Jan 7, 2024 8:50 am

Wizenheimer wrote:I think Ant should be traded. That doesn't mean the Blazers should dump him; they need to get a good return. But the era of undersized Blazer SG's and undersized back courts needs to end

Amen but that's the catch, if we want to get anything for players like Simons/Grant/Ayton that have some value but aren't worth building around then we need to play them and wait for the right opportunity. Such is the fate of a bad team trying to get better... Enduring lots of play from players you have no intention of holding onto long term.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#17 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:26 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:I think Ant should be traded. That doesn't mean the Blazers should dump him; they need to get a good return. But the era of undersized Blazer SG's and undersized back courts needs to end

Amen but that's the catch, if we want to get anything for players like Simons/Grant/Ayton that have some value but aren't worth building around then we need to play them and wait for the right opportunity. Such is the fate of a bad team trying to get better... Enduring lots of play from players you have no intention of holding onto long term.

I wonder though, is that really true for veterans who have thoroughly established what their games are?

there are 15 games between now and the trade deadline

Brogdon has played 470 NBA games and is the reigning 6MOY. If he gets a few DNP-CD's over the next 15 games will it impact his trade value any?

Grant has played 670 NBA games. He's a poor rebounder but has established himself as an elite 3 point shooter

Read on Twitter

Simons has played 300 NBA games and has proven his shot-making skills and also his defensive deficiencies.

other teams know these players strenghts and flaws; they know their heights and lengths. They know their contract terms. They know how these players would fit into their rosters. I don't think Ant would have less value if he was averaging 21 points rather than 24.5

unfortunately, I don't think Portland is working as hard as they have been to promote Ant as the face of the franchise in order to pump up his trade value
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#18 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:10 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

You can’t lump Ayton into that trio.

Ayton is untradeable, basically…no team would be willing to give up matching salary for what Ayton brings, except for maybe long-term bad salary, and there’s no reason the Blazers would do that.

There are certainly teams that can use Brogdon, Grant and Ant, but I would only put Brogdon as a probable departure. It’ll be interesting to see though…

Return to Portland Trail Blazers