ImageImage

Ayton - Disappointment

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 817

Ayton - Disappointment 

Post#1 » by KdoubleDees23 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:11 pm

Portland Fans. I want to apologize as I was one to come over and be hyped for Ayton's new opportunity. I have backed him on the Suns board for years, and truly thought he was going to take off. I have given up on him, and lost hope, faith, etc. He had a chance this year to prove everyone wrong, but he proved everyone right. Sucks to admit it, but the dude is lazy, not a leader, and is wasting his potential / athleticism. I do hope he turns a corner, or you can trade him for something.

But honestly, Get him away from your youth, and bring in some leaders / fit. Scoot, Simmons, Sharpe. Triple S's are a great core.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,520

Re: Ayton - Disappointment 

Post#2 » by Pattycakes » Sat Jan 6, 2024 9:52 pm

Honestly he’s just fake confident. The biggest problem is a lack of humility. Dominayton is the opposite of an appropriate nickname. Like he could be acceptable. Just call yourself Kleenexman.
BigPuma
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#3 » by BigPuma » Sat Jan 6, 2024 10:45 pm

What's up with his injury? It seemed like he was just being held out 1 game for soreness, and then another, and now it has been 2 weeks with no update. Is there any info out there?
Puma (as in Travis "The Puma" Outlaw)
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#4 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jan 7, 2024 12:28 am

I don't love ayton but it's not like we are trying to win currently anyhow so I wouldn't sacrifice positive value to undo having him around. But If a team offered an expiring and/or just general positive asset(s) in general for ayton I'd take it and run.

That being said we got out from nas's 4th year and picked up toumani so it wasn't all bad news. Really worked out to maybe 10 mil more a year than nurk when you add nas to the equation plus toumani camara which I can live with especially since nurk was not super good. Camara was easily the best piece to have moving forward in my eyes and for what works out to 10 mil per season I think I can accept it as "fair" value to add a young starter & a ton of cap space In 3 off seasons
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#5 » by JRoy » Sun Jan 7, 2024 12:37 am

PDXKnight wrote:I don't love ayton but it's not like we are trying to win currently anyhow so I wouldn't sacrifice positive value to undo having him around. But If a team offered an expiring and/or just general positive asset(s) in general for ayton I'd take it and run.

That being said we got out from nas's 4th year and picked up toumani so it wasn't all bad news. Really worked out to maybe 10 mil more a year than nurk when you add nas to the equation plus toumani camara which I can live with especially since nurk was not super good

No reason to pay to move him but the sooner he can sent packing the better.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,942

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:13 am

Eh. I don't think he's any worse than 2024 Nurkić. Overpaid? Sure. But, good for a double-double when healthy. Which, again, Nurkić couldn't stay.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#7 » by soobias » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:22 am

maybe we do some kind of deal with GSW for kuminga ? maybe some 3 way trade ?
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#8 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:33 am

Still really happy that we made the trade.

Toumani is a very impressive defender and rolling the dice on Ayton during rebuilding years was better than Nurk's more predictable decent performances. Obviously it would have been better if Ayton was really hitting his strides, but I'm still happy with the trade.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#9 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:38 am

JRoy wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:I don't love ayton but it's not like we are trying to win currently anyhow so I wouldn't sacrifice positive value to undo having him around. But If a team offered an expiring and/or just general positive asset(s) in general for ayton I'd take it and run.

That being said we got out from nas's 4th year and picked up toumani so it wasn't all bad news. Really worked out to maybe 10 mil more a year than nurk when you add nas to the equation plus toumani camara which I can live with especially since nurk was not super good

Yeah I'm fine with him gone. I'd just sooner bench him than give up any assets for a team to take his contract off our hands knowing full well the Blazers would strike out on free agency before we inevitably waste the cap space on someone
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pattycakes » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:38 am

soobias wrote:maybe we do some kind of deal with GSW for kuminga ? maybe some 3 way trade ?

I was just thinking earlier we should scoop kuminga for the low low
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:40 am

Pattycakes wrote:
soobias wrote:maybe we do some kind of deal with GSW for kuminga ? maybe some 3 way trade ?

I was just thinking earlier we should scoop kuminga for the low low

He'd be a nice piece. And with their meh year maybe regaining their pick would be be a decent chip who knows?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#12 » by JRoy » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:04 am

PDXKnight wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Yeah I'm fine with him gone. I'd just sooner bench him than give up any assets for a team to take his contract off our hands knowing full well the Blazers would waste any cap space anyways

Little was a scrub, glad he is on some other bench now.

Ayton is pretty much everything I don’t want in a center.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#13 » by Pattycakes » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:15 am

JRoy wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Yeah I'm fine with him gone. I'd just sooner bench him than give up any assets for a team to take his contract off our hands knowing full well the Blazers would waste any cap space anyways

He could hypothetically turn it around but someone even sort of credible needs to make him face the mirror and realize he’s not a quarter of the player he currently thinks he is
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#14 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:57 am

I'm not really disappointed in Ayton because I thought Blazer management, and a lot of Blazer fans, were significantly overrating him, on both ends of the floor. He just seems like empty stats to me, and he's really expensive
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#15 » by monopoman » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:23 am

JRoy wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Injuries were hampering him big time, it felt like every time he tried to get back to what he was doing in his early years with the Blazers another injury would set him back. Little had some damn good games as a Blazer and had a lot of potential but he never fully realized that potential mostly due to injuries.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#16 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:16 am

Not disappointed in him, I’m disappointed in how he’s been used. It was clear in PHX that he needs to be forcefed and engaged in order to get full use. That never happens.

Ayton is exactly the player I expected on the Blazers. The one thing that WOULD have been beneficial in retaining Nurk is his ability to set a screen for Scoot. Probably the best screener currently is Walker, and that’s not saying much…
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:41 pm

Ayton would be a nice replacement level C if he was making 15-18M. At his cost he is a tremendously underperforming player.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 842

Post#18 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:04 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ayton would be a nice replacement level C if he was making 15-18M. At his cost he is a tremendously underperforming player.

Most people who had watched Ayton for any period of time could see this.

Ayton has not changed much. He's still essentially the same player he was at Arizona. I was shocked that Indiana made him such a large offer, and a little less shocked that Phoenix matched.

We got a player in the same tier as Nurk, but get to pay 2x the price for him.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,107

Post#19 » by Effigy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:17 pm

Eh, you need someone to play center. Ayton is servicable for us right now. We're not exactly trying to win a title here.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,966

Post#20 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:15 am

Can't be disappointed in somebody I had no expectations for. Ayton is who we thought he was, and we let Phoenix off the hook!
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Portland Trail Blazers