ImageImage

Game 37: Portland vs OKC 5:00pm Root, Root+

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Re: Game 37: Portland vs OKC 5:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:04 am

I guess I won't be getting my 6 piece Chicken McNuggets free from McDonalds since the Blazers aren't scoring
100 points tonight :lol:
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#22 » by JasonStern » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:05 am

Read on Twitter
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#23 » by Moonbeam » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:10 am

No double up, but still, a 62-point loss ties for the 5th biggest margin in league history. Yikes!
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#24 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:13 am

PDXKnight wrote:I think billups will coach the year out for the purpose of tanking

At this point I would worry more about player development and morale if these blowout losses continue and I don't see a lot of player development under Billups. He might finish the season but I would think upper level management needs to see if they can find a coach that knows how to develop players. The only real reason I can see waiting is hoping that there will be better coaches available at season's end
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#25 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:14 am

JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is Blake available to coach?
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#26 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:15 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:I think billups will coach the year out for the purpose of tanking

At this point I would worry more about player development and morale if these blowout losses continue and I don't see a lot of player development under Billups. He might finish the season but I would think upper level management needs to see if they can find a coach that knows how to develop players. The only real reason I can see waiting is hoping that there will be better coaches available at season's end

Brooks is better than Chauncey and would be a good interim
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#27 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:16 am

PDXKnight wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:

Worth a try.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#28 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:30 am

That game was like watching a rocket ship and a meteor pass by each other.

Just two teams drastically going in the opposite directions and very rapidly.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,521

Post#29 » by JRoy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:56 am

Glad I missed this one.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#30 » by monopoman » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:34 am

Even with a HoF coach this team likely struggles to win more than 25 games, but Billups is useless he isn't even preparing this team for the future or developing his young guys much.

Talk about a trash form of offense this team trots out every night that is completely not right for this type of team.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#31 » by zzaj » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:43 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:At this point I would worry more about player development and morale if these blowout losses continue and I don't see a lot of player development under Billups. He might finish the season but I would think upper level management needs to see if they can find a coach that knows how to develop players. The only real reason I can see waiting is hoping that there will be better coaches available at season's end

Worth a try.

Nooooooooooooooo. Scotty Brooks is fine as a player dev guy, but if you want to see more than 1 on 5 basketball, he’s not you’re man. He’s literally known for not having secondary actions on plays.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#32 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:56 pm

zzaj wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

Worth a try.

Nooooooooooooooo. Scotty Brooks is fine as a player dev guy, but if you want to see more than 1 on 5 basketball, he’s not you’re man. He’s literally known for not having secondary actions on plays.

Would that really be a downgrade?
zzaj
General Manager

Post#33 » by zzaj » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:35 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:Worth a try.

Would that really be a downgrade?

Fair, but it'd be nice to have a coach that can develop Scoot and Sharpe's ability within an offense (and defense). If Brooks had the reins it'd be Iso after Iso.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 974

Post#34 » by Waynearchetype » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:19 pm

Brooks was notorious for the same "just let the players figure it out" offense that Chauncey does. If he didn't have westbrook and durant he'd have been fired way sooner.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,341

Post#35 » by Shem » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:30 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:Brooks was notorious for the same "just let the players figure it out" offense that Chauncey does. If he didn't have westbrook and durant he'd have been fired way sooner.

Speaking of Westbrook and Durant. Their 1st season together they only won 23 games. It was good enough to get them the 3rd pick of the 2009 draft and it landed Harden. And guess what? Scott Brook was their coach that 23 win season.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#36 » by JasonStern » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:51 pm

I mean, if players can get relegated to the G-League, you'd think teams could as well. I like our chances against the Bakersfield Jam and Fort Wayne Mad Ants more than actual NBA teams.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager

Post#37 » by zzaj » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:51 pm

Shem wrote:
Waynearchetype wrote:Brooks was notorious for the same "just let the players figure it out" offense that Chauncey does. If he didn't have westbrook and durant he'd have been fired way sooner.

Speaking of Westbrook and Durant. Their 1st season together they only won 23 games. It was good enough to get them the 3rd pick of the 2009 draft and it landed Harden. And guess what? Scott Brook was their coach that 23 win season.

Honestly, when I found out he was going to be part of Chauncey's team...that's when I knew that the Blazers were going to be bad as long as Chancey had control of the team.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#38 » by dunlop212 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:23 pm

PDX gives up 18 fast break points per game, worst in the league. We have a bunch of college-age kids who are too clueless or lazy to get back on defense. Great coaching.
valleyman33
Junior
And1: 37

Post#39 » by valleyman33 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:40 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
Braggins wrote:The effort by some of the players on this team tonight has been awful.

Until recently that seemed one of the good points about Billups in that the players put out good effort. That seems less and less lately.

This is my feelings also, I did not mind the losing, when the defensive effort was good. Now we have a bad coach, IMO the worst broadcast crew in the league, and now the players seem to have quit. Not great for viewing on TV! I have resorted to fast forward just to get through the game so I don't have to listen to the worthless banter of the two dimwits on the broadcast crew. And why is it there are almost no replays of possible bad calls??
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
Henry Ford
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#40 » by Goldbum » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:59 pm

With 2 Lotto picks (likely) and a team absolutely collapsing under it's own hubris we need to drop Chauncey now. Wins may not matter, but ruining a prime development year for these young guys is inexcusable.
I know this is going to sound nutty but...I think they should pull the same thing they did when Pritchard coached half a season... get Chauncey and his cronies out of the building, out of the city, and out of the sport. Give the interim gig to Pooh Jeter with the understanding that his only goal is getting them ready for next season. Play a rotation that probably doesn't work now but could in the future.
If it's really a sellers market I'd guess between Jerami and Matisse we can get about 3 future firsts in total and that's just fine. Malcom and Thybulle's minutes get redistributed between Sharpe/Murray/Rupert... and even if we did ALL of that i bet we don't lose another game by 50...let alone 60+
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed

Return to Portland Trail Blazers