Game 40: Portland vs Brooklyn 7:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:21 am

vs.

Time: 7:00pm
Place: Brooklyn
TV: Root, Root+

GLB of the game Alice Eve
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,941

Re: Game 40: Portland vs Brooklyn 7:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#2 » by JasonStern » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:54 am

Thoughts and prayers going out to DeAndre Ayton missing the game dealing with sheets of ice. But at least they are sheets. A coverless waterbed of ice would have been way worse.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:05 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:38 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:47 am

JasonStern wrote:Thoughts and prayers going out to DeAndre Ayton missing the game dealing with sheets of ice. But at least they are sheets. A coverless waterbed of ice would have been way worse.

He makes 400 k a night, he's doing just fine
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#6 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:12 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:46 am

JasonStern wrote:Thoughts and prayers going out to DeAndre Ayton missing the game dealing with sheets of ice. But at least they are sheets. A coverless waterbed of ice would have been way worse.

Same reason Dale Davis gave 20 years ago during the last Portland ice storm. As I recall, one of the assistant coaches
offered to go get him and he got stuck as well
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:51 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#9 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:26 am

Victory GLB pics

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#10 » by Moonbeam » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:26 am

Woo hoo! Great offense by Grant and Simons in that fourth quarter to steal the win! :)
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#11 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:32 am

I found no joy in this win. In a season meant for development, eeking out a two point win by sitting rookies is pointless imo.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#12 » by Moonbeam » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:35 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:I found no joy in this win. In a season meant for development, eeking out a two point win by sitting rookies is pointless imo.

Fair enough. I think for the team's overall wellbeing, it's good to have some wins scattered in here and there. I agree that getting more minutes for the rookies (particularly Kris and Rayan after they played well against Phoenix) would have been nice. I don't mind so much Scoot and Toumani coming off the bench today because I suspect at least one of Brogdon and Grant will be dealt within the next few weeks. But yeah, if there aren't any meaningful trades on the horizon, I don't want to see the young guys in and out of the rotation with no prospect of team success this season.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,865

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:38 am

Moonbeam wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:I found no joy in this win. In a season meant for development, eeking out a two point win by sitting rookies is pointless imo.

Fair enough. I think for the team's overall wellbeing, it's good to have some wins scattered in here and there. I agree that getting more minutes for the rookies (particularly Kris and Rayan after they played well against Phoenix) would have been nice. I don't mind so much Scoot and Toumani coming off the bench today because I suspect at least one of Brogdon and Grant will be dealt within the next few weeks. But yeah, if there aren't any meaningful trades on the horizon, I don't want to see the young guys in and out of the rotation with no prospect of team success this season.

The bench I felt was dumb. But sitting Scoot for the entire fourth quarter had no point. There is not, for me, a great amount of joy or promise in eeking out a rather meaningless win against the Brooklyn Nets in the middle of January with a bunch of veterans. I felt this was just a disappointing night overall. I don't see many good vibes coming from it, at least for me.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,341

Post#14 » by Shem » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:47 am

I do believe it's good for team morale to win every-now-and-then.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#15 » by Moonbeam » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:

The bench I felt was dumb. But sitting Scoot for the entire fourth quarter had no point. There is not, for me, a great amount of joy or promise in eeking out a rather meaningless win against the Brooklyn Nets in the middle of January with a bunch of veterans. I felt this was just a disappointing night overall. I don't see many good vibes coming from it, at least for me.

I get it, and I feel the frustration too! But seeing Ant hit that shot to seal the win and the team get excited by it was a nice moment. I want to see the young guys run wild, too. Quite badly, actually. Hopefully that happens soon.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#16 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:35 am

It'll be okay for Portland is showcasing their vets for a possible move at the trade
deadline.

Malcomn will be a fine addition to wherever he goes. I'm hoping for the Knicks for one
of their protected FRP's from Detroit or Washington, which will not convey in 2024.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:28 pm

As long as this was a showcase good win.

But getting W's while leaning on Grant, Simons and Brogdan is not what I want to watch.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#18 » by zzaj » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:47 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:As long as this was a showcase good win.

But getting W's while leaning on Grant, Simons and Brogdan is not what I want to watch.

Yeah, pretty much my feelings exactly.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#19 » by red_power » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:33 pm

Tbh I'm sure the Blazers will be poised for a 20 or 30 games losing streak once they replace Brogdon, Grant and/or Simons with Reath and unleash our young players
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#20 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:58 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

agreed

I'll say again, the Olshey era's fundamental flaw was trying to straddle every fence in sight. Sure looks like the Blazers are locked into that kind of dead end again. Playing Grant and Brogdon does not enhance their trade value at all. Teams know who they are. Same for Simons and Ayton. Benching Scoot in favor of Brogdon doesn't make a lot of sense; starting ANT at SG almost never makes sense either.

I get that Sharpe is injured right now. But what I've seen is that Sharpe doesn't play well with Ant and neither does Scoot. Blazers have a square-peg/round-hole problem

Return to Portland Trail Blazers