Game 46: Portland vs Chicago 6:00pm Root+ 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:21 pm

vs.

Time: 6:00pm
Place: Moda Center
TV: Root+

GLB of the game Brittany Ishibashi
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Re: Game 46: Portland vs Chicago 6:00pm Root+ 

Post#2 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:03 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:38 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:18 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#5 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:50 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#6 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:17 am

Time to blow another game
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#7 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:23 am

What in the actual hell? I’m working and can’t watch…is Scoot out with his bruise, or is Chauncey really only going to play him 22 minutes in this game with Sharpe out and Brogdon playing 40?
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:32 am

Consolation GLB pic
Spoiler:
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#9 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:38 am

zzaj wrote:What in the actual hell? I’m working and can’t watch…is Scoot out with his bruise, or is Chauncey really only going to play him 22 minutes in this game with Sharpe out and Brogdon playing 40?

He decided taking out Jabari and Scoot with 7:30 or 7:50 left in the fourth to try to win against the Bulls with veterans was the move.

We still lost.

Just pointless. Harming development and also risking injury to Malcolm and diminishing trade potential.

I'm very firmly on the out with Chauncey bandwagon these days.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#10 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:59 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
zzaj wrote:What in the actual hell? I’m working and can’t watch…is Scoot out with his bruise, or is Chauncey really only going to play him 22 minutes in this game with Sharpe out and Brogdon playing 40?

He decided taking out Jabari and Scoot with 7:30 or 7:50 left in the fourth to try to win against the Bulls with veterans was the move.

We still lost.

Just pointless. Harming development and also risking injury to Malcolm and diminishing trade potential.

I'm very firmly on the out with Chauncey bandwagon these days.
Agreed with the above takes.

Risking injury to Brogdon while depriving Scoot of minutes makes zero sense.

I get that Scoot is not very good as a rookie, however I still think he needs his reps (providing he's not just chucking jump shots).
zzaj
General Manager

Post#11 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:20 am

Seriously though, what does that move solve besides potentially making Chauncey’s coaching record look slightly less in the toilet?

It’s literally a no-win situation.

If the blazers win with their vets, they aren’t developing the players that they decided to embrace by pivoting away from a Franchise great player.

If they lose, it’s even more demoralizing because you threw everything you had at the proverbial problem and still lost.

I also fully reject the developing a “culture of losing” argument. These are among the top 1% of best Basketball athletes in the world. A team could lose 40 in a row and then win 3 in a row against good teams and all that “losing culture” would be almost instantly gone.

IMHO, Chauncey is either trying to save his a$$ come this offseason, or he has a mandate from Cronin to win. If the former is the case, then I hope Billups gets fired for not developing his young players. If the latter is true, well then Cronin is a lot stupider than I thought.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Cronin and Chauncey had a “It’s fine to lose in semi-competitive games, but we can’t be having 62 point losses—that shines a bad light on the franchise.” conversation…To which Chauncey is taking it upon himself to actually try and get Ws in these games. That’s probably giving both Cronin and Billups too much credit.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,942

Post#12 » by JasonStern » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm

zzaj wrote:The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Cronin and Chauncey had a “It’s fine to lose in semi-competitive games, but we can’t be having 62 point losses—that shines a bad light on the franchise.” conversation…To which Chauncey is taking it upon himself to actually try and get Ws in these games. That’s probably giving both Cronin and Billups too much credit.

I think it's a combination of this and, "if we let Brogdon and Grant pad their stats, they'll be worth more at the trade deadline".

Not saying I agree with this. Just that's what it feels like.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager

Post#13 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:46 pm

JasonStern wrote:
zzaj wrote:The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Cronin and Chauncey had a “It’s fine to lose in semi-competitive games, but we can’t be having 62 point losses—that shines a bad light on the franchise.” conversation…To which Chauncey is taking it upon himself to actually try and get Ws in these games. That’s probably giving both Cronin and Billups too much credit.

I think it's a combination of this and, "if we let Brogdon and Grant pad their stats, they'll be worth more at the trade deadline".

Not saying I agree with this. Just that's what it feels like.

Yeah, given Brogdon's history of injuries that is truly playing with fire with regard to his value to a team looking for PO help. That's a hastag in the "stupid Cronin" column. Teams know what Brogdon is. No amount of stat padding is going to change that...in fact, given he's like among the league leaders in C&S 3pt%, that stat padding could actually hurt more than help.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#14 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:30 pm

yeah...Ant + Brogdon = 74 minutes; Scoot 22 minutes. Grant + Thybulle = 69 minutes; Walker + Camara = 27 minutes while Murray + Rubert = DNP-CD

there is really nothing making sense with the Blazers right now. And if the thinking is that playing Brogdon and Grant lots of minutes enhances their trade value, there are morons running the show
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,408

Post#15 » by Blazinaway » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:12 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:yeah...Ant + Brogdon = 74 minutes; Scoot 22 minutes. Grant + Thybulle = 69 minutes; Walker + Camara = 27 minutes while Murray + Rubert = DNP-CD

there is really nothing making sense with the Blazers right now. And if the thinking is that playing Brogdon and Grant lots of minutes enhances their trade value, there are morons running the show

Yeah, makes no sense IMO, trade and get some value and play the young guys to see what they got, we are likely a #5 worst team (plus or minus 1) no matter what we do, so why the F not play the young guys?
zzaj
General Manager

Post#16 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:26 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:yeah...Ant + Brogdon = 74 minutes; Scoot 22 minutes. Grant + Thybulle = 69 minutes; Walker + Camara = 27 minutes while Murray + Rubert = DNP-CD

Yeah, makes no sense IMO, trade and get some value and play the young guys to see what they got, we are likely a #5 worst team (plus or minus 1) no matter what we do, so why the F not play the young guys?

Without getting into the various reasons why it's dumb, my sense is that the Blazers are viewing the 'big 3' core as it stands right now as:

Ant - PG
Grant - SF
Ayton - C

With both Scoot and Sharpe being developing players that will fill time as needed around those 3.

If your 3 is Ant/Grant/Ayton, and committed to them... it makes sense for spacing to play Brogdon--He's a triple threat, and also an outlet for when Ant is playing PG, is a 3pt spacer on Grant drives, and has more experience/savvy running short rolls with Ayton. Scoot's shooting lack of reliable shooting, lack of experience and penchant for turnovers at this stage make less sense with those 3.

Again, IMHO there are a myriad of ways this is short-sighted and foolish, but if you're a coach or a GM trying to avoid 60+ point losses, you probably have a different view...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers