Blazer fans help needed, probability of a Simons trade

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 746

Blazer fans help needed, probability of a Simons trade 

Post#1 » by A_dub06 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:18 am

Hey guys!

Peaceful Pistons fan here, I was hoping to get some advice from you all with regards to anything you have heard/seen regarding Simons potentially being traded this season. I’m desperately trying to get my fantasy team over the edge and Sharpe was dropped last week so was thinking of adding him. I’ve been a huge fan of Sharpe and wanted him over Ivey last year, and was also quick to add him down the stretch at the end of last season when he went on that tear. Whilst I’m not worried about Sharpe’ minutes, I fear if Simons remains on the roster Sharpe’s playmaking opportunities will be reduced, and thus providing less assists.

If this is the wrong place to post this I sincerely apologise. I thought posting it here would give me the best chance of getting the most informed opinions.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Re: Blazer fans help needed, probability of a Simons trade 

Post#2 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:40 pm

Sharpe is injured right now, he's suppose to get evaluated in the next week. He has an abductor injury.

Simons being traded is probably very low at this point. But Brogdon will get moved, unless some series of comical errors happens, and when (if?) he does our guard rotation will be Ant/Scoot/Sharpe across the two positions (with some Matisse time, probably). Sharpe will be starting once he's healthy regardless, though.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#3 » by JasonStern » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:14 pm

Despite what some on this board may believe, Simons is arguably the Blazers best player. And at 24, on a reasonable contract, and not being a malcontent, I can't see the Blazers front office moving him unless it's some lopsided trade.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:23 pm

I can't remember who it was, maybe Quick, but whoever it was said that when Portland was preparing for the 2018 draft, Cronin was the guy who convinced Olshey to focus on Simons. Cronin may have been a bigger fan of Ant than Olshey, at first

if that's true, then it could be that Cronin has no intention of trading Ant...unfortunately. Meaning we'll have many more years of running an undersized no-defense SG at one of the wing positions. Olshey loves CJ--->Cronin loves Ant. Passion at The Moda. If at first you don't succeed, than try the same thing again and fail some more
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#5 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:36 pm

something else about Ant: the Blazers have invested a lot of broadcast PR chatter propping up Ant; all season. They have that hammerblabber who has featured Ant a ton in his grating little episodes. Pretty clearly Blazer marketing is invested in Ant more than any other player. Pretty doubtful they invested so heavily in Ant only to turn around and trade him
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by A_dub06 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:41 pm

I really like Simons and despite his defensive struggles I think he’s great player to have with his shooting. Thanks for the input guys, I Kay just snag sharpe now anyway so I can have him for when he’s back. As long as Brogdon gets traded that should open up more playmaking opportunities for him so he should be worth having.

Thanks for the input fellas!
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by A_dub06 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:00 pm

I really like Simons and despite his defensive struggles I think he’s great player to have with his shooting. Thanks for the input guys, I Kay just snag sharpe now anyway so I can have him for when he’s back. As long as Brogdon gets traded that should open up more playmaking opportunities for him so he should be worth having.

Thanks for the input fellas!
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#8 » by red_power » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:57 pm

I think there is a big chance the Blazers FO stays put with Simons unless some miraculously good you-can't-refuse offer appears on the table.
Which is very unlikely to happen obviously.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,018

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 1, 2024 8:55 pm

red_power wrote:I think there is a big chance the Blazers FO stays put with Simons unless some miraculously good you-can't-refuse offer appears on the table.
Which is very unlikely to happen obviously.

Yeah, Simons' is one of Joe's pick and is so far showing he's capable of being like 70-ish% of what Dame was and he's still improving. It's really hard to see a deal that they would trade him for in the near future unless the other team is ridiculously overpaying. Young player on a good contract who's arguably the best out of the crop of the Herro / Reaves of young-players-who-got-paid-recently group.

It would more realistically require the Simons asking out for some reason, but it seems like he enjoys being the heir to Dame in Portland right now.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,203

Post#10 » by BNM » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:35 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Yeah, Simons' is one of Joe's pick...

???? Simons was drafted by Olshey in 2018.

Cronin' first draft wasn't until 2022 (Sharpe), four years later.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:25 am

BNM wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Reportedly Cronin talked Olshey into drafting Simons. So not Cronin's pick "officially", but his in that he lobbied for and convinced Olshey to make that pick as the assistant GM.
BNM
Analyst

Post#12 » by BNM » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:10 am

DusterBuster wrote:
BNM wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Reportedly Cronin talked Olshey into drafting Simons. So not Cronin's pick "officially", but his in that he lobbied for and convinced Olshey to make that pick as the assistant GM.

Not sure where you are getting your info, but Cronin did not become assistant GM until 2021 - three years after Simons was drafted.

At the time Simons was drafted, Cronin was the Director of Player Personnel - not assistant GM, not Director of Scouting, not even a scout. It would have been very unusual for Cronin to have had that much influence on Olshey's draft day decisions in 2018.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:22 am

BNM wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
BNM wrote:

Not sure where you are getting your info, but Cronin did not become assistant GM until 2021 - three years after Simons was drafted.

At the time Simons was drafted, Cronin was the Director of Player Personnel - not assistant GM, not Director of Scouting, not even a scout. It would have been very unusual for Cronin to have had that much influence on Olshey's draft day decisions in 2018.

That’s my mistake that he wasn’t assistant GM that year. The point still stands he was very high and pushed for Simons to be the pick. You’re splitting hairs.
BNM
Analyst

Post#14 » by BNM » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:33 am

DusterBuster wrote:
BNM wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

That’s my mistake that he wasn’t assistant GM that year. The point still stands he was very high and pushed for Simons to be the pick. You’re splitting hairs.

Genuinely curious of the source of this information. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone suggest Simons was a Cronin "pick". I don't recall any mention of it at the time of the selection, or since.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#15 » by m0ng0 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:20 pm

It's creative revisionist history :lol:

Return to Portland Trail Blazers