ImageImage

Game 51: portland vs Detroit 7:00pm Root,Root+

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,341

Re: Game 51: portland vs Detroit 7:00pm Root,Root+ 

Post#21 » by Shem » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:16 pm

PDXKnight wrote:I don't think cronin is the worst, I think we could've landed ainge which I'd say was the biggest mistake in this equation not giving him whatever he wanted to come to portland.

Ainge wanted to go to Utah because of his Mormon ties. I know this because of my Mormon ties. Yes, I used to be one. Walked away from it nearly 16 years ago, but I still have many family and friends who still practice. My uncle was good friends with his brother Doug in high school. A lot of Ainge's family lives in Utah.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#22 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:08 pm

Shem wrote:
zzaj wrote:Yeesh. Billups exposed...can't get the team to run plays.

So it had NOTHING to do with a point guard that Billups was forced to play that had 2 career minutes coming into the Detroit game?

There were no play makers out there. Only Grant had the ability to score. Had Simons not got injured, the Blazers win that game. Honestly, do you really think Camara or Thybulle could help carry the scoring load? It's like people forget when it comes to role players that they get their buckets a lot of times because of the playmakers out there. Again, the problem was nobody was one.

By your argument Popovich has been exposed. Look at the Spurs record this year. Look at it last year. Maybe the Spurs should fire Popovich.

I made my feelings clear. The Blazers weren't going to win this game playing ISO ball with Grant. They may have won if there was a good team system in place to get role players good shots. Chauncey hasn't done that. He's relied on self creation by Grant and Simons the whole season. And it should come as no surprise given Brooks is on the bench with him...that guy is the KING of relying on player self creation.

I hope Simons' ankle isn't an issue for the remainder of the year, because having only one of Grant/Simons for any length of time will mean a lot of non-competitive losses based on Chauncey's game planning.

As for Pop? Comparing Chauncey and Pop is like comparing a Pinto and a Ferrari. And Pop isn't without issue. I'm not entirely sure he's the best coach for that team anymore. His approach with Wemby has been great...but not having a true table setter to start the season was an issue and got them off on the wrong foot.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#23 » by red_power » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:36 pm

Nice loss, I think Blazers need to tank as hard as they can to maintain the No. 5 position ahead of the draft lottery.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#24 » by Norm2953 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:43 pm

Going to be an ugly 31 games left in the season.

I'm wondering if we'll finish with 20 wins (20-62) which would require we finish 5-26, which
might not get us in the top 4 of the draft for we're 5 games behind the Spurs, Pistons,
Wizards and Hornets in the race for the bottom
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#25 » by red_power » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:09 pm

zzaj wrote:Good loss. Too bad this year's draft sucks.

But at least this draft is full of solid big men prospects around the end of the lottery. When I look at Filipowski, Missi, Ware and other guys I absolutely don't mind having another late-lottery pick here
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Post#26 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:32 pm

red_power wrote:
zzaj wrote:Good loss. Too bad this year's draft sucks.

But at least this draft is full of solid big men prospects around the end of the lottery. When I look at Filipowski, Missi, Ware and other guys I absolutely don't mind having another late-lottery pick here

"Solid"...

I like Filipowski the most. Also Ivisic. The others? Meh...the way the NBA is going, space is king. Centers and PFs have to be able to shoot 3s and defend in space.

Will it capitulate back at some point? Maybe. But none of the PF/C prospects in this draft (at least to me) have the elite, NBA defensive potential to overcome a lack of outside scoring.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:54 pm

Going to be a challenge with the GSW pick, to select the best fit amongst the project
bigs.

Filipowski is the safest pick for he's likely Kelly Olynyk as a pro.

Baylor's Missi plays hard and that program has produced a lot of recent picks could be
a Blazer.

It would be great if Matas somehow drifted towards the back end of the lottery for I'd love
to add him and whoever is picked at 5 to next years roster

Return to Portland Trail Blazers