Game 52: Portland vs New Orleans 7:00pm Root, Root+

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,553

Re: Game 52: Portland vs New Orleans 7:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#21 » by zzaj » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:33 pm

mighty_duck wrote:
zzaj wrote:IMHO, I don't think this really is the case with Scoot. And it certainly doesn't take into account the injury in HS, and SL. The vets, maybe...but the Blazers would be very confused to be playing vets big minutes in order to win games on one hand, but low-key sitting guys to tank on the other.

The cautious approach is not necessarily a means to tank. I'd say the opposite - playing Scoot more at this stage of his career would help the tank...

Every minor injury carries a risk of aggravating it or leading to other injuries . In many cases, the club is ok with that risk, and lets players play through these minor injuries. But for us, the risk isn't worth it.

Scoot will do more to contibute to Ws than Hagans or that new Boston player...so I'm not sure playing Scoot contributes to tank Ls given the alternatives.

I still don't quite buy that the Blazers are being extra cautious with Scoot--sitting him extra because they are tanking. I think this line of thinking might be borderline foil hat...

IMHO, the more probable reality is that Scoot has a penchant for little injuries that keep him out of games, regardless of team record. Maybe it's just having gone through a decade of pretty strong "iron man" play from the team's best player, but Scoot's young injury history has me a little concerned.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#22 » by PDXKnight » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:06 am

zzaj wrote:
mighty_duck wrote:
zzaj wrote:IMHO, I don't think this really is the case with Scoot. And it certainly doesn't take into account the injury in HS, and SL. The vets, maybe...but the Blazers would be very confused to be playing vets big minutes in order to win games on one hand, but low-key sitting guys to tank on the other.

The cautious approach is not necessarily a means to tank. I'd say the opposite - playing Scoot more at this stage of his career would help the tank...

Every minor injury carries a risk of aggravating it or leading to other injuries . In many cases, the club is ok with that risk, and lets players play through these minor injuries. But for us, the risk isn't worth it.

Scoot will do more to contibute to Ws than Hagans or that new Boston player...so I'm not sure playing Scoot contributes to tank Ls given the alternatives.

I still don't quite buy that the Blazers are being extra cautious with Scoot--sitting him extra because they are tanking. I think this line of thinking might be borderline foil hat...

IMHO, the more probable reality is that Scoot has a penchant for little injuries that keep him out of games, regardless of team record. Maybe it's just having gone through a decade of pretty strong "iron man" play from the team's best player, but Scoot's young injury history has me a little concerned.

Is it really tin foil hat when the Blazers have shown repetitively the extents they're willing to go to lose over the last 2-3 years?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#23 » by Norm2953 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:15 am

It would be better served for Scoot to be getting lots of court time with 30 games left in the season.

Let' say he plays in 25 of the remaining games, gets work in the summer league program and stays in
Portland this summer.

Come back next season ready to compete for a starting PG job with Brogdon (if he has not been traded).
Scoot's development into a NBA caliber starting PG should be priority #1 for hopefully whoever is
coaching Portland next season
zzaj
General Manager

Post#24 » by zzaj » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:59 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
zzaj wrote:
mighty_duck wrote:The cautious approach is not necessarily a means to tank. I'd say the opposite - playing Scoot more at this stage of his career would help the tank...

Is it really tin foil hat when the Blazers have shown repetitively the extents they're willing to go to lose over the last 2-3 years?

There's no Wemby in the upcoming draft, and by mostly all accounts it's a draft full of role players.

Besides, being cautious with bringing a player back from injury in order to tank has nothing to do with the player getting injured in the first place. The fact is, Scoot has had a few injuries that have forced him to miss time before he was a Blazer and now as a Blazer. If people want to believe that the Blazers are deliberately keeping their #3 draft pick, who is starting to show improvement after underperforming compared to expectations, out of games in order to move up one draft position in a weak draft? Be my guest...

Again, I think it's far more likely that Scoot got injured and he's just taking the time it takes to come back from an injury. The amount of little injuries he's had so far is a bit alarming to me...which is basically my original post, lol.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#25 » by PDXKnight » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:37 pm

zzaj wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
zzaj wrote:

There's no Wemby in the upcoming draft, and by mostly all accounts it's a draft full of role players.

Besides, being cautious with bringing a player back from injury in order to tank has nothing to do with the player getting injured in the first place. The fact is, Scoot has had a few injuries that have forced him to miss time before he was a Blazer and now as a Blazer. If people want to believe that the Blazers are deliberately keeping their #3 draft pick, who is starting to show improvement after underperforming compared to expectations, out of games in order to move up one draft position in a weak draft? Be my guest...

Again, I think it's far more likely that Scoot got injured and he's just taking the time it takes to come back from an injury. The amount of little injuries he's had so far is a bit alarming to me...which is basically my original post, lol.

I understand this draft isn't phenomenal at least on paper but that doesn't mean cronin doesn't care about getting a few picks higher
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#26 » by mighty_duck » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 pm

PDXKnight wrote:I understand this draft isn't phenomenal at least on paper but that doesn't mean cronin doesn't care about getting a few picks higher

That's what they said about the Anthony Bennet draft ('13), and yet MIL walked away with an all time great in Giannis.
You can never know with a draft, and for all the FO shortcomings, they tend to pick well.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#27 » by zzaj » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:14 am

mighty_duck wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:I understand this draft isn't phenomenal at least on paper but that doesn't mean cronin doesn't care about getting a few picks higher

That's what they said about the Anthony Bennet draft ('13), and yet MIL walked away with an all time great in Giannis.
You can never know with a draft, and for all the FO shortcomings, they tend to pick well.

One thing I'll grant the Blazers...the Draft is about the ONLY thing they have going for them since no FA is going to come to our wonderful city. And I really do trust Mike Schmitz...

There have been a couple of generational players that have come out of "bad" drafts, and certainly there are usually some gems to be found in every draft (Jokic comes to mind), but the odds of acquiring one are pretty damned slim...purposely tanking and not playing your developing #3 pick in order to try and beat those odds seems...well, that's not how I would do things if I were a RealGM.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#28 » by m0ng0 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:04 am

That's right develop, develop, develop!!! Give all these kids every rep they can handle. Walker, Rupert, Scoot, Murray, Reath and Camara.

Give the vets 25 and call it a day.

These kids will not get better getting 7 minutes a game. We were not supposed to win anyways.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers