ImageImage

Will Simon's quietly request a trade?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,585

Re: Will Simon's quietly request a trade? 

Post#121 » by JRoy » Wed May 8, 2024 2:30 am

cdubbz wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:I’ve recently joined the Simons for Black trade supporters after looking at the Magic more closely. Simons is “win now” and young-ish and Orlando is exactly that after not being good for long enough. Portland can develop Black as a multi-position dude. No rush. His size, D, and versatility make up for probably never being a 20 point guy … AND Simons already is that volume scorer.

I didn’t know Anthony Black is listed at 6’7. Never really knew much about him.

What about Blazers also taking Cole Anthony back as well? Son of former Blazer Greg Anthony. Blazers get a backup PG & ‘point-wing’ in Black plus now they can use their picks to boost roster.

I hope not.

Tiny guard with weak playmaking, no d and and iffy shot.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,930

Post#122 » by cdubbz » Sat May 11, 2024 9:36 pm

If the Magic end up being trade partners for Simons - I wonder how many draft picks we could squeeze from them.

They own their own FRP every year going forward plus the Nuggets '25 FRP.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,795

Post#123 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 11:26 pm

A few reasonable options (IMO) with ORL...

1) Black, DEN 25 frp for Simons...tremendous cap relief, a recent #6 defensive ace shooting 39% on low-volume, super long, fantastic attitude and personality. Could move all over the lineup, from PG to 3, due to size and defensive intensity. Nice complement to your top 2 guards and a nice add for developing a positive, energetic, defensive personality in POR.

2) Black & Cole Anthony for Simons...still save some salary, add a young vet in Cole, who can do much of what Simons probably projected as 3rd Guard, for half the salary. Black is a 6'7, quick-footed, versatile rookie with all kinds of potential upside.

3) Black, Cole Anthony, ORL 25 frp, DEN 25 frp for Simons & Brogdon...lots of cap relief, two young backcourt players, 2 frps

ORL knows what it needs and knows Simons is no savior but he can light it up from outside and create "enough" offense to take some off of our two 6'10 frontcourt creators. Paolo and Franz initiating all of the offense from iso is not a sustainable plan. Simons makes 3.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,952

Post#124 » by JasonStern » Sun May 12, 2024 11:46 pm

Skybox wrote:A few reasonable options (IMO) with ORL...

1) Black, DEN 25 frp for Simons...tremendous cap relief, a recent #6 defensive ace shooting 39% on low-volume, super long, fantastic attitude and personality. Could move all over the lineup, from PG to 3, due to size and defensive intensity. Nice complement to your top 2 guards and a nice add for developing a positive, energetic, defensive personality in POR.

2) Black & Cole Anthony for Simons...still save some salary, add a young vet in Cole, who can do much of what Simons probably projected as 3rd Guard, for half the salary. Black is a 6'7, quick-footed, versatile rookie with all kinds of potential upside.

3) Black, Cole Anthony, ORL 25 frp, DEN 25 frp for Simons & Brogdon...lots of cap relief, two young backcourt players, 2 frps

ORL knows what it needs and knows Simons is no savior but he can light it up from outside and create "enough" offense to take some off of our two 6'10 frontcourt creators. Paolo and Franz initiating all of the offense from iso is not a sustainable plan. Simons makes 3.

All 3 of those are solid trade ideas.

That said, I still don't get why everyone wants to move Simons so badly. I understand we want to see Scoot and Sharpe starting. But Simons, Brogdon, and Grant are our 3 best players. Watching unwatchable basketball for 82 games just to get the 7th pick? Eh...
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Butter
General Manager
And1: 128

Post#125 » by Butter » Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 pm

I dont see why the Magic would trade Black. Simmons perimeter shootomg is a perfect compliment TOO Black.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,874

Post#126 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon May 13, 2024 12:33 am

I would do all these trades. In truth I don't really feel you need to add a first along with Black. But maybe a good compromise is Black, anthony and just one first for Simons and Brogdon? But I'm also very high on Black.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#127 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 12:36 am

Butter wrote:I dont see why the Magic would trade Black. Simmons perimeter shootomg is a perfect compliment TOO Black.

Suggs could've been All-Defense this year. I like Black a lot, but I'd trade excess defense from a defensive minded team to get some of that "death from above" that is SO lacking in ORL. Simons would open things up for Paolo & Franz to an amazing degree. I could definitely see a Black/Simons backcourt, but I'd prefer Suggs/Simons.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#128 » by Skybox » Today 2:24 pm

ORL sends #18, Cole Anthony, Anthony Black, ORL 25 frp (top 5 protected), ORL 27 frp (top 8 protected)

POR sends #14, Simons, Brogdon

POR saves a ton of cap space, Cole fills the third guard role (that Simons is too good for), AB is long-term fit as a long, defensive ace at 1-3, with shooting & Playmaking projected to develop…plus two firsts.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Post#129 » by Blazinaway » Today 3:01 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:

I would do all these trades. In truth I don't really feel you need to add a first along with Black. But maybe a good compromise is Black, anthony and just one first for Simons and Brogdon? But I'm also very high on Black.

These seem like no brainer/no take back trades for Portlland! Last years 6 pick and a 1st and maybe some cap relied for Simons - I sat do it right now!
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Post#130 » by HoopsFanAZ » Today 4:34 pm

Black at 6’5.75” and a wingspan of 6’7.5” isn’t a big time scorer, but in a 3-guard line-up (and some at SF), he doesn’t have to be. He’s (IMHO) the better point-forward option who will shoot 3’s that Evan Turner would not. [ET is the same height and 6’8 wingspan]

Return to Portland Trail Blazers