ImageImage

New Coach?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

New Coach? 

Post#1 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:07 pm

With the departure of one AC to Brooklyn and the decision to not renew the contracts for two more
AC (including Chauncey's brother), it appears clear Chauncey's days in Portland are numbered .

Any word on who will be Portland's next coach?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,041

Re: New Coach? 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Mon May 6, 2024 4:50 pm

I don't think this is necessarily meaning his "days are numbers" - or at least not for the very near future. This might very well be his final season though if there isn't some more tangible improvements shown. I think this is just what it is though, restructuring the bench.

The only thing where this could mean he's out in the near future is if he's going to ask out or take a new role with another team or maybe he takes a new role within the organization. I do have to wonder how much stomach Billups has for more losing seasons. His coaching record is almost nearing a point of no return to being a winning record coach. He would need nearly 3-5yrs of winning seasons just to get back to .500 right now, but that numbers going to go up with more losing seasons the Blazers are in for. He may want to just bail and maybe do some front office stuff and look for a coaching gig in the future.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,922

Post#3 » by cdubbz » Mon May 6, 2024 5:07 pm

Micah Nori - Twolves assistant coach may be due for a HC position. He's been an assistant since 2009 for several teams, but never a HC. Don't know too much about him, but he's been around the game a long time under some good coaches and staff. Would hope Blazers go for a coach with NBA experience already like an assistance coach. Has to want to be in this situation to develop talent as well - not just to get their first HC position.

Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:36 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I don't think this is necessarily meaning his "days are numbers" - or at least not for the very near future. This might very well be his final season though if there isn't some more tangible improvements shown. I think this is just what it is though, restructuring the bench.

The only thing where this could mean he's out in the near future is if he's going to ask out or take a new role with another team or maybe he takes a new role within the organization. I do have to wonder how much stomach Billups has for more losing seasons. His coaching record is almost nearing a point of no return to being a winning record coach. He would need nearly 3-5yrs of winning seasons just to get back to .500 right now, but that numbers going to go up with more losing seasons the Blazers are in for. He may want to just bail and maybe do some front office stuff and look for a coaching gig in the future.

One has to think there will be even more losing for the team is going to trade off their vets and unlike 2016
when they had Dame, has no star young player they can build around. One has to think Chauncey and the
team will agree to mutually part (as Danny Marang has written on X) and whoever is the new coach will have
a free rein to bring in their coach.

I wonder if the team will make another run at Becky Hammon, who has coached two WNBA teams to championships.
That might perk some interest in Jody, who wanted to hire her in 2021. Anything to get the current ownership
interested in the rebuild
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#5 » by Walton1one » Mon May 6, 2024 5:37 pm

Asst coach changes may mean nothing, however I do think POR will move on from Billups, probably after this year. I would be surprised if they extended him. Probably just best financially for them to keep Billups next year and then let him walk.

Billups wants to win, which I get, he was brought on to a team with Dame and now is coaching in a completely different situation, a young team that will likely be a bottom dweller next year, which BTW is in POR best interest. He got his start here and now he can and likely will get another head coaching gig on a more veteran team after next year.

POR saves money from not firing\buyout, and next year they can hire a coach who is better equipped to develop the young talent they have acquired. Wonder if they would reach into the college ranks?
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#6 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:34 pm

One of the assistants is Chauncey's brother Rodney.

Three coaches contracts were not renewed and one of the coaches left for Brooklyn. Portland
seems to be clearing the decks for whoever gets the job to name their own coaches
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,558

Post#7 » by zzaj » Mon May 6, 2024 7:25 pm

Norm2953 wrote:One of the assistants is Chauncey's brother Rodney.

Three coaches contracts were not renewed and one of the coaches left for Brooklyn. Portland
seems to be clearing the decks for whoever gets the job to name their own coaches

I can't imagine any quality coach--including Hammon, as much as I'd LOVE to have her as coach of the Blazers--would want anything to do with the Blazers, currently. And moreso if there is a direct M.O. from Cronin to tank again next season for Flagg/Bailey.

I agree with those saying that Chauncey likely doesn't want anything to do with that kind of losing either, especially since he has the money to be more concerned about tarnishing a legacy.

He's a terrible XOs coach, but players seem to buy in to him regardless of win rate, and that' not nothing.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#8 » by JasonStern » Mon May 6, 2024 11:09 pm

Joking, but he'd probably do as well as Chauncey.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:02 am

zzaj wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:One of the assistants is Chauncey's brother Rodney.

I can't imagine any quality coach--including Hammon, as much as I'd LOVE to have her as coach of the Blazers--would want anything to do with the Blazers, currently. And moreso if there is a direct M.O. from Cronin to tank again next season for Flagg/Bailey.

I agree with those saying that Chauncey likely doesn't want anything to do with that kind of losing either, especially since he has the money to be more concerned about tarnishing a legacy.

He's a terrible XOs coach, but players seem to buy in to him regardless of win rate, and that' not nothing.

Hard to say if Becky Hammon would actually turn down an NBA job (even Portland) for getting a job as the first
woman NBA coach is tough enough unless she feels she can get the SA job when Pop retires.

Quite possibly Chauncey is headed for another job with the Blazers if the Blazers found someone who would want
the Blazers job
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,204

Post#10 » by BNM » Wed May 8, 2024 8:20 pm

This will be Chauncey's last season as a head coach in POR for the simple reason that it's the last guaranteed season on his current contract. Jodie has no desire to pay him to not coach while simultaneously paying his replacement. The reason the assistants were let go is simple - no remaining guaranteed seasons on their contracts.

They may fire him midseason, but probably not as there is no expectation of winning and will probably let him drive he tank for one more year.

As far as Chauncey using his time in OR as a stepping stone to another head coaching job - no **** way. The guy has proven he is incompetent at all aspects of being an NBA head coach. When he had the roster and expectation to win, he led the lead in blown second half double digit leads, by a wide margin. He has been an NBA head coach for thee seasons and has yet to install a modern NBA caliber offense that involves significant player and ball movement - always the same tired and ineffective ISO heavy offense he's run since day 1. He has shown he is the worst head coach in the league at making in game adjustments and hasn't shown any ability to develop the young lottery picks we've accumulated thanks to his ineptitude.

As far as "getting the players to by in" - I don't buy it for one second. What exactly have they bought into? Running a crappy, ancient, ineffective offense? No, they aren't buying into anything. The truth is they LIKE Chauncey because he's a nice guy and doesn't hold them accountable. For young players to develop they need to be challenged and pushed - by their coach. The result is the head coach isn't going to be your best friend, nor should he be. Chauncey gives the young guys minutes, in some cases too many minutes too soon (Scoot), but those minutes don't result in significant development due to his poor system.

I only hope players like Scoot and Shaedon realize they are not developing like they should and they work with proven development coaches over the summer. Scoot needs to put in serious work on finishing at the rim in traffic and Shaedon needs to improve his handle. They aren't going to develop in season under Chauncey, so they need to spend the off season devoted to improving their most glaring weaknesses.

I know the Chauncey apologists will be quick to make excuses and defend him, but in the entire 77 year history of the NBA there has only been one head coach with a worse winning percentage (Eddie Donovan who coached the Knicks for 4 seasons from 1961-62 thru 1964-65) to make it through his 4th season without getting fired. So, if Chauncey makes it through year 4, he can at least claim he accomplished something that hasn't been done in the last 60 years.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,922

Post#11 » by cdubbz » Fri May 10, 2024 10:32 pm

BNM wrote:This will be Chauncey's last season as a head coach in POR for the simple reason that it's the last guaranteed season on his current contract. Jodie has no desire to pay him to not coach while simultaneously paying his replacement. The reason the assistants were let go is simple - no remaining guaranteed seasons on their contracts.

Hopefully the Blazers have a few head coaching candidates. Lakers, Suns, Hornets and maybe other teams may be shuffling HCs this off season and will take the best coaches.

It's better to pay now for the right head coach then to wait until next season and have no idea which coaches will be available.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#12 » by JasonStern » Sat May 11, 2024 7:45 am

Eh. I've come to terms with riding out the last year of Billups' contract. But this is year 4 of tanking. We will have 4 lotto picks entering this season, a 5th after next season, and solid 20ppg players in Simons and Ayton. If the team isn't showing improvement with that, then there's something seriously wrong with scouting, player development, and coaching.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,534

Post#13 » by Pattycakes » Sat May 11, 2024 7:58 pm

Walton1one wrote:Asst coach changes may mean nothing, however I do think POR will move on from Billups, probably after this year. I would be surprised if they extended him. Probably just best financially for them to keep Billups next year and then let him walk.

Billups wants to win, which I get, he was brought on to a team with Dame and now is coaching in a completely different situation, a young team that will likely be a bottom dweller next year, which BTW is in POR best interest. He got his start here and now he can and likely will get another head coaching gig on a more veteran team after next year.

POR saves money from not firing\buyout, and next year they can hire a coach who is better equipped to develop the young talent they have acquired. Wonder if they would reach into the college ranks?

The reality is that the Blazers team he inherited was not good at all, and post post Nurk injury. This roster plus a year or two of development far eclipses the peak of that particular team he got imo.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers