ImageImage

Note from NBA.com Power Rankings...

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Note from NBA.com Power Rankings... 

Post#1 » by Andre 2999 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:53 pm

Hey guys! Just got back from San Diego yesterday, and I've been trying to catch up with all that I've missed, and one interesting thing I noticed is what the NBA Power Rankings had to say about Minnesota:

Here's an honest question for Timberwolves fans: Which trade are you banging your head over more these days, the KG trade or the Roy-for-Foye deal?

That's pretty flattering considering how good KG has been this season (although not so much as of late).

EDIT: Something else I noticed is that at 15-3, the Blazers have the 4th best home record in the league. :clap:
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#2 » by revprodeji » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:16 pm

It does not take much writing skills to insult an injuried player.

Blazers are doing very good this year, and have a bright future but that can be said in many different ways that do not need to insult a player with an injury.

An example would be any durant/oden insults or a more accurate Horford/Oden (both as bigs) debate. There really is no point in making an oden/horford argument because oden has been injuried all year. You are not sure how he will play with this team, or how he has improved over the summer. But someone could look at the success of Horford and throw some mud at your draft choice.

Discussing injuried players in a negative light makes no sense. Both players (foye/oden) have knee injuries. Neither are "lingering" neither player has "an injury history" both have a serious knee injury and are unable to play.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#3 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:29 am

revprodeji wrote:It does not take much writing skills to insult an injuried player.

Blazers are doing very good this year, and have a bright future but that can be said in many different ways that do not need to insult a player with an injury.

An example would be any durant/oden insults or a more accurate Horford/Oden (both as bigs) debate. There really is no point in making an oden/horford argument because oden has been injuried all year. You are not sure how he will play with this team, or how he has improved over the summer. But someone could look at the success of Horford and throw some mud at your draft choice.

Discussing injuried players in a negative light makes no sense. Both players (foye/oden) have knee injuries. Neither are "lingering" neither player has "an injury history" both have a serious knee injury and are unable to play.

in fairness, it appears it was from NBA.com, not a blazer fan.

whether Woves fans are kicking themselves or not, I can just about guarantee that all Blazer fans are quite satisfied with the trade at this point.
Dakotah612
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Dakotah612 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:35 am

I know you're not trying to equate Roy to Horford and Foye to Oden in terms of prospect :lol:

Before the injury Foye looked like a poor-mans Ben Gordon. I said on draft night and I'll say it again: This will go down as a trade worse than the Ray Allen for Stephon Marbury draft day deal. Foye will be a solid offensive player but a few tiers below Roy.
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#5 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:05 am

Dakotah612 wrote:I know you're not trying to equate Roy to Horford and Foye to Oden in terms of prospect :lol:

Before the injury Foye looked like a poor-mans Ben Gordon. I said on draft night and I'll say it again: This will go down as a trade worse than the Ray Allen for Stephon Marbury draft day deal. Foye will be a solid offensive player but a few tiers below Roy.

According to who? I doubt I have heard that from any wolves fan or media.

All I am saying is that Roy is having a great season, and I respect that. But Foye has been injuried since the summer and giving a grade on that trade right now is incredibly premature.

btw, Marbury was good with the wolves and if it was not for his attitude it might have gone down as a good deal. Remember "da kids"
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#6 » by Ripcity4life » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:23 am

Geez someone needs to chill out and stop being so sensitive about a comment that really is not that bad. Maybe you should write to Kevin McHale the Worst GM in the League about your issues but leave them off the Blazers Board OR take them to the Wolves board.

CHILL OUT Rev
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:26 am

I am chill. Why would you think I am not chill?

If I address an issue, and explain my perspective then you are free to disagree. But that does not mean I am not chill
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#8 » by breaker91 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:33 am

Give the good reverend his props. While you can add me to the list of Blazers fans who feel Roy > Foye, I agree with the Rev that it is premature to judge either player. These guys should be judged based on what they do in this league after 5 or 10 years and not a season and a half.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:42 am

Of course Roy>Foye right now. Foye has yet to play this year and Roy is playing great.

Horford>Oden right now too. :D

Chris "The oden stopper" Richard has more minutes then Oden.

I am just playing. It is frustrating when your coach things a zone defense against a 3pt shooting team is a good idea.
SoHo
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by SoHo » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:46 am

Rev,

I think you are missing the point. Andre isn't using that quote to say "Foye sucks". He's using it to say that the writer is using Roy in the same sentence as KG which is a pretty high compliment. In other words, Roy is good.

I also think that the point the author was making is valid. Roy looks like an absolute stud and to this point is pretty clearly the best player in that draft. Foye might prove otherwise at some point down the line, but that certainly remains to be seen.
Dakotah612
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Dakotah612 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:47 am

revprodeji wrote:Of course Roy>Foye right now. Foye has yet to play this year and Roy is playing great.

Horford>Oden right now too. :D

Chris "The oden stopper" Richard has more minutes then Oden.

I am just playing. It is frustrating when your coach things a zone defense against a 3pt shooting team is a good idea.

A backhanded comment towards Roy. Oden as a prospect is far far superior to Horford. Foye is a decent prospect, not great. He's a PG with no PG skills, in other words, a 6'2" chucker. It's not like he hasn't played at this level, he did play his rookie year and looked mediocre. Factor in he's a year older than Roy.

Now Roy >>>> Foye

Future Roy >>>> Foye
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:07 am

revprodeji wrote:I am just playing. It is frustrating when your coach thinks a zone defense against a 3pt shooting team is a good idea.

Calling Foye a 6'2 chucker is just showing lack of experience watching Foye. First of all, he is 6'4 220. Also he does have legit PG skills. He was our best Fourth Qrt scorer last season and he was also our best drive/dish player last year. He has the leadership and the athletic ability to be a very good player. He looked much more than mediocre last year.

This debate has been beat to death on these forums. But many did consider Foye the superior talent during the draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNuufjTM3OY

Roy is a good player having a very good season. Let FOye heal before we start calling him a chucker.
Dakotah612
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Dakotah612 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:14 am

He's barely over 6'3" in shoes and I've seen a lot of Foye last year and at Villanova. He did start 12 games last year and looked mediocre. He looks for his shot first, passes second. Not a good combo when you future 1st-2nd options on offense have the same mindset. Nowhere near the caliber player of a Brandon Roy.
- Bill Simmons
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#14 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:19 am

I honestly think it's a bit silly to say we can't compare Roy and Foye at this point. Right now, Roy (rounding up a hair) is a 20/5/6 player. I haven't seen Foye a ton, but if there is a GM out there who thinks that if he reaches his potential he has the capability to be a 20/5/6 player I'll eat my hat. That doesn't even take into account Roy's leadership abilities, which I'd put up there with just about any player in the league, not just members of his draft class. Put that together, and you get the genesis of the comment--Roy is a much higher caliber player than Foye, and Minny has a good reason to regret making that trade.

Quod erat demonstrata.
Klinky
Assistant Coach
And1: 536

Post#15 » by Klinky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:34 pm

I would raise questions about any comparison for any players if they've been in the league less than 3yrs. The talent is so raw that you do not know what untapped potential does lie beneath. To say for sure that Foye will never be as good as Roy is silly. However, if I were the T-Wolves I would regret the trade. Though you can never tell what will be the outcome of all this.

I guess you do kind of have to weight the odds. It's unlikely that Foye will reach Roy's numbers. It's also seems unlikely that Roy's heel will cause him problems and hobble him in the future. But both options could happen.

Also look at people like Jermaine O'Neal or Travis Outlaw. Neither came into their own until a few years into the league. There are a lot of breakout players that don't hit their stride until well into their career.

Right now I am terribly glad we got Roy. I would even say Roy was a better immediate choice. I don't know how you couldn't say that with him being Rookie of the Year. But to say that Foye could never reach Roy's potential would be silly until we give Foye more time to develop.
Circus Americano!
Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#16 » by Andre 2999 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:59 pm

SoHo wrote:Rev,

I think you are missing the point. Andre isn't using that quote to say "Foye sucks". He's using it to say that the writer is using Roy in the same sentence as KG which is a pretty high compliment. In other words, Roy is good.

I also think that the point the author was making is valid. Roy looks like an absolute stud and to this point is pretty clearly the best player in that draft. Foye might prove otherwise at some point down the line, but that certainly remains to be seen.

:nod:
That was precisely my point, I was not trying to insult anyone, I just thought it was pretty crazy that the Roy trade and Garnett trade were being compared on NBA.com for their own levels of regretability (I'm not sure if that's even a word).
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#17 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:14 pm

Klinky wrote:I guess you do kind of have to weight the odds. It's unlikely that Foye will reach Roy's numbers. It's also seems unlikely that Roy's heel will cause him problems and hobble him in the future. But both options could happen.

Also look at people like Jermaine O'Neal or Travis Outlaw. Neither came into their own until a few years into the league. There are a lot of breakout players that don't hit their stride until well into their career.

Good points, but in both the case of O'Neal and Outlaw, you had a good idea where the ceiling was. No one ever thought O'Neal would be a 30/15 player, they thought that he could possibly get to 20/10, which is about where he peaked. With Travis, even though he has had monster games, does anyone really think that on a good team he'll ever be an 18/8 guy like Lamarcus? If you had traded Outlaw for Lamarcus, wouldn't you crow about the kind of deal you just made?

Like Andre, I'm not saying Foye sucks. But unless something greatly out of the ordinary happens in his development I just can't ever see him with the way he plays be an all-around producer or a leader like Roy has proven he can be.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers