ImageImage

[Game Thread] Portland @ Chicago

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Dakotah612
Head Coach
And1: 0

[Game Thread] Portland @ Chicago 

Post#1 » by Dakotah612 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:49 pm

"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#2 » by Billy » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:53 pm

Trap game. They're playing a bit rejuvenated with the new coach. How long does that last? Who knows.

I really haven't followed Chicago closely this year, but if they do run the two point guard lineup it will be both a plus and a minus for Portland.

Plus: One of them has to guard Roy. Hinrich can play bigger than he's listed, but Roy should have his way with him.

Minus: The added speed makes our hit and miss perimeter D' that much more important.

Portland will need to really hit the boards as well. Wallace, Noah, Smith and Thomas give the Bulls plenty of guys that can board.

It will be a tough game, but as Jones said last night, play your heart out tonight and you're home in 24 hours.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#3 » by d-train » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:11 pm

The Bulls have for whatever reason struggled this year but betting on their problems continuing is a fools bet. The Bulls should beat the Blazers on their home court without much problem.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#4 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:32 pm

d-train wrote:The Bulls have for whatever reason struggled this year but betting on their problems continuing is a fools bet. The Bulls should beat the Blazers on their home court without much problem.

90% of the posters on this board probably disagree with this, but I'm not one of them (other than the "without much problem" part--we're a competitive team, even if our record is currently inflated, and we should be able to stay with any non-elite team in the NBA night-in/night-out). The Bulls were a second round playoff team last year with most of the same talent and the reason for the slow start seems to be that the team as a whole rebelled against their ex-coach. They played Charlotte last night, and although Charlotte isn't a great team Chicago man-handled them, making them 3-1 under the new coach.

Looking at the lineups:

Przy=Wallace
Aldridge>>Smith
Webster<<<<Deng
Roy>>>Hinrich
Blake<<Duhon

Portland bench =< Chicago Bench (very close, but Nocioni being better than Outlaw tilts me slightly in Chicago's favor).

I think we lose this one, 105-99. Deng should really be able to go to town on us, as should Ben Gordon since he'll likely have Jack guarding him.
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#5 » by Charlie78 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:42 pm

I watch alot of chicago because I get WGN at my house. They are not nearly as bad as their record would suggest. They are 9-8 since the beginning of Dec. The thing I find funny about there team is they seem to play no close games. Other than the game against ORL. Either they woop you by ten or they lose by 13. Very strange team to watch, extremely streaky.

I think the blazers can be really effective if they can do alot of double teaming, as you essentially dont have to guard the center position. We should try to trap alot and get in there heads early then step on them as there confidence doesnt seem to be very good when they get down big.
Klinky
Assistant Coach
And1: 536

Post#6 » by Klinky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:20 pm

As well and as scrappy as we've been playing, I am marking this as a game we should win.
Circus Americano!
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#7 » by Dieselbound&Down » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:27 pm

Regardless of outcome, I expect an entertaining game with a lot of interesting matchups.

The Bulls defense tends to collapse down very quickly and they give up a lot of open 3 looks which is very good for the Blazers.

Both teams should bring good energy. IMO, The key quarter will be the third. The Bulls recently have been starting the third slow but tend to finish it fairly well. If the Blazers can build and sustain a lead, Chicago's new coach seems to favor playing Nocioni at the 4 for the 4th quarter. This is a matchup I expect Portland to murder the Bulls on and the game could get blown open in the first couple minutes of the 4th quarter.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:00 pm

Playing in Chicago is always tough but if the blazers can bring their A-game, a win is definitely possible. Chicago's better than their record shows but they're no San Antonio.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:19 pm

a tough game, important for the blazers to win on the road and vs. teams like this.

the bulls kind of look better, and gordon coming from the bench is maybe their biggest move, i think for the last 3 games he's averaging over 25pts from the bench.

another aspect that i think will spice this game is aldridge vs. thomas, specially for the fans.
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#10 » by breaker91 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:31 pm

I think the Blazers have a good shot tonight. Beyond the big 2 we need a solid night (15+ points) from one of our outside shooters. I'm hoping it is Martel who steps up, but my money is on Jones.

After reading the observations from Bulls' fans, I'm also curious to see how much time Joel gets tonight. Ben is clearly a better rebounder than Joel and Wallace will be able to play a lof of help D seeing how Joel isn't much of threat. However, a front line of Frye and LMA could nullify Big Ben's effectiveness as he'll have to play outside his comfort zone.

I don't expect to see much of a LMA TT match up tonight. LMA will probably spend more time against Smith and Nocioni. Thomas would be a perfect counter for the Bulls when we have Outlaw at the 4.
541Blaza
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by 541Blaza » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:49 pm

I actually think we will win this. The Blazers will bring it tonight.
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by DeezXXnutZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:52 pm

d-train wrote:The Bulls have for whatever reason struggled this year but betting on their problems continuing is a fools bet. The Bulls should beat the Blazers on their home court without much problem.

Blazers win in a landslide.....

:wavefinger:
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:59 pm

I expect a loss. Alas.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#14 » by Yadadimean » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:29 pm

seems like about 80% of the fans in here always expect a loss...
Signature
swede
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#15 » by swede » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:32 pm

Dude come on. Do you not remember the last 4 years?
Cyborg21 wrote:Screw you Batum, throwing us under the bus, I hope we destroy these scum next year.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,754

Post#16 » by DuckIII » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:38 pm

BlackMamba wrote:the bulls kind of look better, and gordon coming from the bench is maybe their biggest move, i think for the last 3 games he's averaging over 25pts from the bench.

Boylan moved him to the bench 4 games ago, i.e., immediately upon taking over as head coach. Since then Gordon has averaged 29.5 ppg and is shooting over .500 from the field and from 3.

another aspect that i think will spice this game is aldridge vs. thomas, specially for the fans.

I don't think you are going to see much of that, if at all. Both Aaron Gray and Joakim Noah are ahead of Thomas right now as far as reserve big men go. And both of those guys would match up better with Portland's bigs that Thomas would, in my opinion. Portland strikes me as a bad matchup for Thomas, and considering where he is currently in the rotation, I suspect both of those factors will combine to = very little Tyrus Thomas tonight.

To Billy who referred to the Bulls as a "trap game" I'd say its my guess that you haven't watched the Bulls since Boylan took over 4 games ago. They look completely different than the team that limped out to a 9-17 start. If you guys take this game on the road, you should consider it a high quality win amidst this streak of wins you've amassed against largely weak competition.

Most of us Bulls fans are worried about your perimeter shooting. Our guys tend to double down inside and collapse way too aggressively and quickly, which leads to a lot of open 3s when the ball moves. If the Bulls don't guard the perimeter with discipline - which is a significant possibility - I think Portland takes this game with ease.

I think this is going to be a very fun and exciting game and a good measuring stick for both teams at this point in the season.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Charlie78
Starter

Post#17 » by Charlie78 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:22 pm

Ive been watching them and frankly they didnt play anyone other than ORL during that stretch. Admittedly they played orlando close, but I am far from convinced the bulls have turned a corner yet. I think you guys are better than it seems but I would'nt consider it a high quality win yet.

Its definetly a good win because it comes on the road. However we have'nt had enough games on the road since our winning ways started to have any idea whether we have turned that corner yet either. The blazers of december should win this game easily. Well see if we are the DEC, or NOV blazers over the next couple of weeks and then we can more accurately predict outcomes, same can be said for the bulls it is just to soon since the change to know if you guys have taken it to that next level or not.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:29 pm

yeah, i meant the thomas-adlridge thing more for the fans than for the actual game or matchups.

i also think that joel again might not see many mins.
blazersmaniac8
Analyst

Post#19 » by blazersmaniac8 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:44 pm

i feel like this is a win, gordon/deng/nocioni will play well but our defense/roy/aldridge/jones/jack/outlaw attack will put em back. Add on the fact that we have mr clutch in roy (yes i know ben g is nicknamed similar) I feel like we can rise to the occasion on national tv.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#20 » by Mr Odd » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:53 pm

DuckIII wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think you are going to see much of that, if at all. Both Aaron Gray and Joakim Noah are ahead of Thomas right now as far as reserve big men go. And both of those guys would match up better with Portland's bigs that Thomas would, in my opinion. Portland strikes me as a bad matchup for Thomas, and considering where he is currently in the rotation, I suspect both of those factors will combine to = very little Tyrus Thomas tonight.

To Billy who referred to the Bulls as a "trap game" I'd say its my guess that you haven't watched the Bulls since Boylan took over 4 games ago. They look completely different than the team that limped out to a 9-17 start. If you guys take this game on the road, you should consider it a high quality win amidst this streak of wins you've amassed against largely weak competition.

Most of us Bulls fans are worried about your perimeter shooting. Our guys tend to double down inside and collapse way too aggressively and quickly, which leads to a lot of open 3s when the ball moves. If the Bulls don't guard the perimeter with discipline - which is a significant possibility - I think Portland takes this game with ease.

I think this is going to be a very fun and exciting game and a good measuring stick for both teams at this point in the season.

A trap game ment the Bulls were doing bad but not
anymore so the Blazers shouldnt take them lightly.. .
:wink:
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers