ImageImage

Nate/Sergio ENIGMA?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

waverider
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Nate/Sergio ENIGMA? 

Post#1 » by waverider » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:58 pm

First off, I LIKE Nate as our coach and think overall he is doing a very good job. However, that does not mean he is beyond questioning is some things he does.

Of course I am referring to how he allots minutes to Sergio, especially in a situation like yesterday's second qtr when he took Sergio out when he was dishing out assists at an incredible rate and the TEAM was playin fantastic.

He does not pull a player ANY other player like that. Jack can play poorly and stay in the game seemingly forever. I know Sergio has a LOT to improve upon, but he has a great skillset and "potential".

What I just don't get is when he is really playin well with the team (like last night) - WHY won't Nate leave him in longer?
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#2 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:15 pm

As near as I can figure, Nate wants Sergio to be completely under control at all times, and it seems like he's trying to break Sergio of his Jason Williams habits. Unfortunately, its the Jason Williams habits that make Sergio a special player.

Nate did the same thing with Luke Ridnour in Seattle and practically ruined the kid--you can almost see him second guessing almost every dribble he makes. It kills me that he's doing this to Sergio, as I think the pace and unpredictability that Sergio brings to the game could help us greatly.

That's not to say Sergio is perfect or anything, just that I think Nate is busy trying to make him into a different player from the one we saw so much potential in that we drafted him in the first place, and I don't think that's productive.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#3 » by Billy » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:25 pm

To me, Nate just doesn't trust him yet. Although I agree with most of the assessments here, this is the other side of the coin IMO: Sergio can play you out of a game as quickly as he can play you into one.

I'm not trying to justify Nate yanking him yesterday per say. Although I didn't see the game you don't drop 8 dimes in only 6 or so minutes unless you have a lot of talent. But that's what Sergio can do. He can completely change the complexion of a game--for better or worse.

My guess for last night in particular was he wanted to get Brandon in and other more consistent guys while the tempo was turning in Portland's favor. Sure, Nate could have just sold the stock at $30.00 when it could have jumped to $60.00 relatively soon, but the chances of Sergio tanking may have been just as good as his chances of dropping 16 assists in the quarter.

I really hope Nate can start keeping Sergio out there a bit more as clearly he's got the talent that Portland needs at that position. But I also think that Nate saw a crack of light in an otherwise UGLY game up to that point and wanted to capitalize with more consistent (and less risk taking) guys.

I will say that I really really hope Sergio can get some minutes tonight and show it wasn't a one game deal. I don't think Nate's trying to "break" Sergio as much as he's trying get as many of the "highs" from Sergio's game while minimizing the lows.
waverider
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by waverider » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:31 pm

Billy, Sergio was instrumenatl in building that lead, the team was playin great with him in and shooting lights out - and he got those shooters the ball. He was totally under control, is this not this a time when he gets "rewarded" with some extra minutes? How in the heck can we instill any confidence in the kid when he gets yanked quickly when he plays poorly, yet gets yanked as well when he and the team are playin great?

Simply makes NO sense to me.
azapikoa
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#5 » by azapikoa » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:52 pm

Sergio should be traded before Nate ruins him.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Post#6 » by ebott » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:13 pm

I think the main thing with Sergio not playing more is that he and Brandon just don't mix. They both need the ball in their hands to be effective. Look at last night's minutes distribution..

B.Roy 37:21
S.Rodriguez 10:48

Looks to me like Brandon comes out, Sergio goes in. When Brandon goes back in, Sergio comes out.

It's got nothing to do with Nate liking or disliking Sergio and everything to do with those two not blending very well. This is Brandon's team and when he's in the game the ball will be in his hands most of the time. Sergio doesn't play well away from the ball. So it doesn't make any sense to play him and Brandon together.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,824

Post#7 » by Fitz303 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:16 pm

I was more upset with Joel only getting 11 minutes.. Sergio will get his minutes as he continues to grow up.. Why mess with what the team is doing right now.. give him some minutes here and there and let him grow over time.. JMHO
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#8 » by Billy » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm not disagreeing, just playing devils advocate. Sergio needs more time to really develop. But I think Nate, knowing Sergio's tendencies and history, saw a game that was winnable (that maybe 2 months ago would have been a disappointing loss) and decided to go with the guys that have delivered him wins.

It's a catch-22. Ultimately I think room will need to be cleared for Sergio--forcing Nate's hand somewhat. But I really don't think Nate is purposely trying to stifle Sergio, rather going with the players that he feels he has a good handle on.
waverider
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by waverider » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:38 pm

ebott wrote:I think the main thing with Sergio not playing more is that he and Brandon just don't mix. They both need the ball in their hands to be effective. Look at last night's minutes distribution..

Looks to me like Brandon comes out, Sergio goes in. When Brandon goes back in, Sergio comes out.

It's got nothing to do with Nate liking or disliking Sergio and everything to do with those two not blending very well. This is Brandon's team and when he's in the game the ball will be in his hands most of the time. Sergio doesn't play well away from the ball. So it doesn't make any sense to play him and Brandon together.

Now that's interesting, I don't think I can recall Sergio and Roy plaing together - at all. I would at least like to seem them give it a try a couple times, I think it would work a lot better then you think.
azapikoa
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#10 » by azapikoa » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:41 pm

ebott wrote:I think the main thing with Sergio not playing more is that he and Brandon just don't mix. They both need the ball in their hands to be effective. Look at last night's minutes distribution..

So Sergio is never gonna play more than 10 minutes...
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#11 » by Jsun947 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:26 pm

Its true.

Sergio is good at creating offense <-- Brandon's Job
Sergio is not good at spot up shooting.
Sergio is not good defensively.
Sergio is not a good slasher.
Sergio is not a good rebounder.

Sergio doesn't compliment Brandon what so ever.... They shouldn't be on the court at the same time.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#12 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:33 pm

^^Sergio is actually pretty darned good slasher. He gets to the lane very easily and distributes well from there.
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#13 » by sabi » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:37 pm

mojomarc wrote:As near as I can figure, Nate wants Sergio to be completely under control at all times, and it seems like he's trying to break Sergio of his Jason Williams habits. Unfortunately, its the Jason Williams habits that make Sergio a special player.

Nate did the same thing with Luke Ridnour in Seattle and practically ruined the kid--you can almost see him second guessing almost every dribble he makes. It kills me that he's doing this to Sergio, as I think the pace and unpredictability that Sergio brings to the game could help us greatly.

That's not to say Sergio is perfect or anything, just that I think Nate is busy trying to make him into a different player from the one we saw so much potential in that we drafted him in the first place, and I don't think that's productive.

IRC, Ridnour was the starter of the Sonics since his rookie year and he never closed out games and was benched whenever he was making mistakes. But that's because Nate had a very good substitute in Antonio Daniels who was having the season that got him that nice contract with the Wizards. I wouldn't blame Nate for the downfall of Ridnour's career. I think he was actually playing better behind him that they coaches they have now in Seattle.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#14 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:58 pm

Fitz303 wrote:I was more upset with Joel only getting 11 minutes.. Sergio will get his minutes as he continues to grow up.. Why mess with what the team is doing right now.. give him some minutes here and there and let him grow over time.. JMHO

I agree with your Przybilla statement. There's something wrong when a team is being destroyed in the post defensively and their best defensive post player is taken out. Granted, Joel was in foul trouble for a lot of the night but McMillan always seems to take him out in the 4th quarter when we need him the most.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#15 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:25 pm

again this debate?

sergio is awesomely talented, but still has a lot of areas of the game that he has to get better at.

i think they both know that there is no need to rush him. i see him more like a project, maybe 1 or 2 more seasons before he can take control of this team.

but things for the blazers at PG don't get any easier, koponen is still there and might be the definite competition for sergio.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,331

Post#16 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:34 pm

Oden2 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with your Przybilla statement. There's something wrong when a team is being destroyed in the post defensively and their best defensive post player is taken out. Granted, Joel was in foul trouble for a lot of the night but McMillan always seems to take him out in the 4th quarter when we need him the most.

Minnesota was playing zone defense almost exclusively in the 4th quarter, and Joel is almost useless against a zone.

And Joel was having little success defending Jefferson.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,331

Post#17 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:44 pm

Sergio had a great stretch in the 2nd quarter, but I don't think it's a coincidence that it came against the worst, disorganized team in the league. And Jaric had no hope at all at keeping sergio in front of him.

As others have noted, it appears the coaching staff has concluded that Sergio and Brandon don't mesh well, probably from observation during practices, last season, and the preseason. I haven't seen much that would convince me otherwise, although it may be worth a try now and then.
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by DeezXXnutZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:49 pm

Sergio's shooting is a major liability right now. You can tell when he hits an outside shot and Barrett and Rice freak out and start high fiving each other..Jack is a more well rounded player that deserves those extra minutes..

I want someone to give me some good reasons why Sergio should get more minutes then Jack..?
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#19 » by BigOrangeBalls » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:21 pm

Nate is doing a great job with Sergio. Just look at the record. I would argue the record would be worse if Sergio played more minutes.

:onfire:
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#20 » by SalemStoner » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm glad to see someone else noticed that...

I know alot of you guys get annoyed that Sergio doesn't play as much as you'd like, but you'd be alot more upset if Brandon was playing 30 minutes a game and Sergio 18.

The reality of the situation is that our team is at it's best with the ball in Brandon's hands, and couple that with the fact that playing Sergio off the ball is akin to making Shaq play PG and the result is going to be Sergio getting shafted on minutes. Until Sergio can learn to be effective in the game without the ball he won't be on the court more than 10mpg in all likelyhood.

Right now his effectiveness is directly linked to a) how much the ball is in his hands and b) how under control he's playing on that day. Meanwhile he shares that distinction with our team leader and best player... Sergio's a good young player, but right now he's sharing the PG role with Brandon while Jack and Blake have become our defacto SGs on offense. Sergio and Brandon both have the mindset and vision to be good PGs in this league, and right now Brandon is a much more complete player than Sergio and his Telfair complex.

That's right, I said it, Sergio's game is still incredibly similar to that of Telfair's... they both can't shoot a lick, they both are incredibly quick and good/great passers. They also have weaknesses on defense, tho Sergio is better there(and at passing) than Telfair is. The simple fact of the matter is however that they're both incredibly inconsistent and more potential than consistent effectiveness right now.

Sergio will be a good player in this league for a long time, right now however he's still very hit or miss even minute to minute more so than about any other player in the league. So while the arguement can be made that he was playing well right when he was pulled on any given day, the fact of the matter is that unlike most players where you can reasonably well project them to keep playing at about the same level for most of their time in the game, you can't effectively make that arguement with Sergio.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers