ImageImage

[From the Archives] A scary thought

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Dakotah612
Head Coach
And1: 0

[From the Archives] A scary thought 

Post#1 » by Dakotah612 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:58 am

Phil Jackson has targeted the player he likes for his triangle offense, and that
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#2 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:08 am

Two things crossed my mind while reading this:

1. "F**king Lakers."

2. "DraftExpress really has a good handle on the pulse of a draft, if this is true."
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#3 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:48 am

Roy wouldn't have been able to produce as much with Kobe hogging most of the touches. Roy needs the ball in his hands most of the time to be the most effective and I wonder if Kobe handling the ball the majority of the time and Phil Jackson's disliking for rookies would have messed B-Roy up in LA.
On a side note, I don't know who the Lakers would have given up for the draft pick to acquire Roy. They wanted a top 5 pick (at least according to DX) and the top 5 teams were set on taking certain players at the time. That said, if they would have heard about our trade with Boston in advance, the Lakers could have tried to top our offer for the #7 pick.

All of that said, it's obvious that Roy ended up in the right place for him and everyone (maybe even the guys from ESPN) realize that Roy is in one of the best situations as far as surrounding talent (same age) and joining a nice up-and-coming team like the blazers (at the time- we're already better than at least 60% of the NBA teams right now).
kumquat
Starter
And1: 63

Post#4 » by kumquat » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:40 am

Oden2 wrote:Roy wouldn't have been able to produce as much with Kobe hogging most of the touches. Roy needs the ball in his hands most of the time to be the most effective and I wonder if Kobe handling the ball the majority of the time and Phil Jackson's disliking for rookies would have messed B-Roy up in LA.

I think Roy would be just as effective playing the second fiddle and would have been scary with Kobe.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#5 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:44 pm

Roy and Kobe would probably be the best backcourt in the league. Both players can shoot, both can get to the rim at will, both can distribute. They would have mismatches against every other team with their size and athleticism, and with Walton out there as well they would be a really, really good ball-movement team.

Ugh. I'm making myself nauseated just thinking about it.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#6 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:40 pm

well, if he would have been a laker i'm sure he'd be on the top of my hated players list.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#7 » by Billy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:23 pm

I remember reading this back then. Certainly a scary thought to think about now. Roy on the Lakers would put them in contention for the #1 seed in the West this year IMO.

Thank God he's here :).

Return to Portland Trail Blazers