ImageImage

Darius Miles Updates?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Darius Miles Updates? 

Post#1 » by Jsun947 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:40 am

If memory serves me right Darius Miles hasn't played sense 04/15/06.

Does anyone have any updates on him? Last I heard he was practicing with the team but was not cleared for full contact still.

I can't wait until we can just get rid of him. Hopefully by waiving him medically....
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#2 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:09 am

It seems that any chances of waiving Miles for medical reasons has gone away ever since Miles was cleared for 5 on 5 practices, which was a few weeks ago. If I'm not mistaken, he's been cleared for "full contact" practices.

McMillan has continues to say that Miles is "weeks away" from having a chance to play in a game, and if the team continues to play like they are, those weeks could turn into months. No way Nate disrupts the Blazers rotation to throw Miles into a game. He'll only see playing time if he deserves it and can beat out his competition at the 3/4, which is VERY unlikely at this point.

I think the only way we see Miles play before the trading deadline is if the Blazers have some blowouts near the end of January or early-mid February.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,525

Post#3 » by Pattycakes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:28 am

Darius Miles is the greatest basketball player ever.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.
Seriously tho.
kumquat
Starter
And1: 63

Post#4 » by kumquat » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:38 am

is it true you can't buy out a player when on injured list being paid by insurance?
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#5 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:40 am

If I'm in Kevin Pritchard's shoes, I'd hold Miles out until April and then have Nate play him in the last few games of the season to spark a little interest. Then, start talking.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
kumquat
Starter
And1: 63

Post#6 » by kumquat » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:29 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:If I'm in Kevin Pritchard's shoes, I'd hold Miles out until April and then have Nate play him in the last few games of the season to spark a little interest. Then, start talking.

Yup, sounds good, if we've booked a playoff spot play him a little, if we're not in the running for a spot, give him 48minutes
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#7 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:43 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:If I'm in Kevin Pritchard's shoes, I'd hold Miles out until April and then have Nate play him in the last few games of the season to spark a little interest. Then, start talking.

i think that could be a pretty good idea, but it could all depend on how the blazers are looking by that time, if they are in the playoff race with an almost locked spot or batteling for the 8th spot.
BiggieSmalls
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by BiggieSmalls » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:47 pm

i say we put him on a boat and push him out to sea.
DreMiller/Faried>>>>>>>Felton/Smith

Nicolas Batuuuuuuuuuuum!

R.I.P Sean Chancellor
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#9 » by Billy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:51 pm

I believe Darius mentioned a few weeks back that he wanted to give it a full go, but that if he felt he couldn't make it he would retire (or maybe KP said something along those lines?).

I have a feeling Portland is going to give Miles more than enough opportunities to give it a go. Not necessarily from a standpoint that they want Miles to remain with the team, but rather I think it will help them when making a case for having his salary removed from the books if he does retire. If it doesn't look like he was pushed out the door I think there will be a much better chance of getting the cap space in time for '09, rather than having it be potentially held up by Union disputes etc.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Post#10 » by ebott » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm assuming that Darius is genuine when he says that he really wants to be a part of this team. That means that he'd be a real contributing member rather than just a guy that we're showcasing for a trade. That being the case, Darius is going to have to earn playing time in practice just like everybody else.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#11 » by Mr Odd » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:49 pm

Spykes wrote:It seems that any chances of waiving Miles for medical reasons has gone away ever since Miles was cleared for 5 on 5 practices, which was a few weeks ago. If I'm not mistaken, he's been cleared for "full contact" practices.

McMillan has continues to say that Miles is "weeks away" from having a chance to play in a game, and if the team continues to play like they are, those weeks could turn into months. No way Nate disrupts the Blazers rotation to throw Miles into a game. He'll only see playing time if he deserves it and can beat out his competition at the 3/4, which is VERY unlikely at this point.

I think the only way we see Miles play before the trading deadline is if the Blazers have some blowouts near the end of January or early-mid February.

Thats pretty much my take on it aswell.

If Miles truely wants to change & be a part
of a team then the first thing he needs to do
is admit to himself that there are other players
on this team that should be playing ahead of him
and his role should just to sit on the bench and do
what is asked of him, not to force anything. I think
Miles is basically a role player for the rest of his days
in the NBA and I believe he needs to come to terms with
that. But its tricky because at the same time he doesnt want
to give up on himself & not push himself to do good every game.

But after saying all of that, he needs to be traded, which will be hard!!
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:53 pm

The only way Miles can be traded is if he can prove hes still got some game. So it's kinda a catch 22 situation here.

That said, I don't think you'll have to play him much to convince some teams to chance a chance on him... Namely, the Knicks. If he can play a little bit this season, I could see Pritchard moving Miles and the Blazers 1st round pick (assuming Portland makes the playoffs) to NY for Malik Rose. And we all know Isiah is dumb enough to make that move.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 842

Post#13 » by tester551 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:27 am

There are a few teams that are starting to look for a major shakeup. Miami, Milwaukee, & New Orleans come to mind. I don't think it would be too hard to dump Miles if he can show that he can play.

Bad teams usually think trading for a player from a good team is a great deal.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers