ImageImage

After Last Night: Ben Gordon?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

After Last Night: Ben Gordon? 

Post#1 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:03 pm

It's still probably a long shot, but circumstances and happenings have shortened the odds considerably...

I'm referring to Portland possibly making a move for Ben Gordon using that wondrous future cap-space.

Apparently, Ben Gordon has at least implied that if he isn't traded before the deadline, he'll play for the QO and become UFA in 2009.

So, after watching last night's game, how do people project him as fitting on the Blazers?

I think there's little doubt he can be an effective scorer and that might be a great complement to Roy's game. On the other hand, I wasn't impressed with his ball-handling skills. And his defense on Jack and Blake was adequate I guess, but not nothing more.

Would a long-term guard rotation of Roy-Fernandez-Gordon-Blake be a championship contending backcourt?
Dakotah612
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Dakotah612 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:11 pm

Gordon actually complements Roy's game to a T. In Chicago, However, he seems to play his best basketball coming off the bench. If the Bulls doesn't ask for a ton, I'd love to see Pritchard make a move for Ben. Also, if he's an UFA in '09, that also fits Pritchard's plan.
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
Kogse1002
Senior

Post#3 » by Kogse1002 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:12 pm

Roy would be the perfect guard for Gordon to play with. Roy could handle the shooting guards defensively and bring up the ball offensively leaving the shooting guard spot to Gordon on offense. Gordon's defense on point guards is actually quite adequate, he just can't handle bigger shooting guards.

This was actually the Bulls' plan with gordon and Hinrich but Hinrich is not as good as Roy and struggles with initiating the offense quite a bit himself. I think a Gordon/Roy backcourt would work exceptionally well.

That said, it is unthinkable that Gordon will leave as a free agent. He will either be extended or traded before he finally becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Bulls have too much invested in him to let him walk for free.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:20 pm

Kogse1002 wrote:Roy would be the perfect guard for Gordon to play with. Roy could handle the shooting guards defensively and bring up the ball offensively leaving the shooting guard spot to Gordon on offense. Gordon's defense on point guards is actually quite adequate, he just can't handle bigger shooting guards.

This was actually the Bulls' plan with gordon and Hinrich but Hinrich is not as good as Roy and struggles with initiating the offense quite a bit himself. I think a Gordon/Roy backcourt would work exceptionally well.

That said, it is unthinkable that Gordon will leave as a free agent. He will either be extended or traded before he finally becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Bulls have too much invested in him to let him walk for free.

I would think that's the case, although the 'rumblings' might indicate that the Bulls may really need to entertain the idea of a trade before this upcoming deadline. Gordon will make over 6 million for his QO, so if he wants to test the free agent market, he's not going to be leaving a 'lot' of money on the table. And there are some 'hints' he's a bit unhappy with what happened this summer.

I doubt the Bulls will offer more then 10 million and maybe even less next summer.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#5 » by Jsun947 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:00 pm

Blake/Gordon
Roy/Rudy
Webster/Jones
Aldridge/Frye
Oden/Przybilla

That doesn't leave much room for Outlaw+Jack whos contracts just happen to match Ben Gordons.

Can you say possible trade?
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,822

Post#6 » by Fitz303 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:10 pm

Jsun947 wrote:Blake/Gordon
Roy/Rudy
Webster/Jones
Aldridge/Frye
Oden/Przybilla

That doesn't leave much room for Outlaw+Jack whos contracts just happen to match Ben Gordons.

Can you say possible trade?

If a trade went down like this it would most likely include Webster instead of Outlaw. They need a big SG/SF like Webster more than a SF/PF like Outlaw.. Pritchard is known to not be extremely high on Webster and I wouldnt be suprised to see them make a move like that with Webster and Jack as incentive, although I dont see the Bulls liking that idea too much. Perhaps adding in a 1st rd pick would do the trick, but then it might be overpaying for a potential FA

Blake/ Gordon
Roy/ Rudy
Jones / Outlaw
Aldridge/ Frye
Oden/ Przybilla

Thats a very well rounded 1st and 2nd team
DucksAlum06
Freshman

Post#7 » by DucksAlum06 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:35 pm

I like BG and think he's a great player but imo he is a player who needs to have to ball to get his stats. When he was on the bulls starting rotation his numbers were way down compared to what they have been the last five games, where he has been coming off the bench. I don't think he plays well enough on a starting line up because he needs to be the go to guy. We already have a guy on the second squad (Outlaw) who does what Gordon does. He's also out there shooting for a contract right now. I like Gordon but I don't see him fitting well alongside Brandon. We need a pass first guard (like an upgraded version of Blake), and someone with really good handles and decision making to limit turnovers. We saw Gordon crumble in crunch time against the Blazers and cough the ball up twice which led to the Blazers win. He's a good option if there is nobody better to go for when the time comes.
Keep Blazin!!!
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Re: After Last Night: Ben Gordon? 

Post#8 » by Cliff Levingston » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:07 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Apparently, Ben Gordon has at least implied that if he isn't traded before the deadline, he'll play for the QO and become UFA in 2009.

Where'd you hear this? Cause Chicago Bulls fans would be interested to hear this news.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Re: After Last Night: Ben Gordon? 

Post#9 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:19 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Where'd you hear this? Cause Chicago Bulls fans would be interested to hear this news.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

Unable to reach terms on a contract extension before this season, Gordon has told confidants he might sign a one-year tender offer next summer and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2008-09 season.

If they don't trade him first, the Bulls will make a qualifying offer of $6.4 million to keep Gordon as a restricted free agent next off-season. That would allow them to match any offers he might receive next summer.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#10 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:29 pm

Village Idiot has made so many trades trying to get Ben Gordon to Stumptown that he'd have to have 3 hands to count them all. Mostly 3-ways.

VI thinks Martell Webster would be good trade bait for Gordon. The Bulls need a bigger SG and we have some depth at the 3 which is an easier position to fill. The Idiot proposes Gordon for Webster and Jack.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
TradeMachine
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#11 » by TradeMachine » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:32 pm

Isn't he asking for like $60 mil? If so, we'd have four core players getting max or near max money. He'd be a good complement to Roy, but he just isn't worth that kind of money.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:34 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Village Idiot has made so many trades trying to get Ben Gordon to Stumptown that he'd have to have 3 hands to count them all. Mostly 3-ways.

VI thinks Martell Webster would be good trade bait for Gordon. The Bulls need a bigger SG and we have some depth at the 3 which is an easier position to fill. The Idiot proposes Gordon for Webster and Jack.

Spykes suggested that on the Trade Board and got ripped by treis for suggesting such an idea.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#13 » by Mr Odd » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:40 pm

I dont see the Blazers having what it
takes to trade for Gordon without giving
up a player we dont want to give up.. .
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#14 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:40 pm

The Village Idiot didn't see that. Perhaps he was making a drunken fool of hisself at the time. He apologizes for not riding shotgun on that one.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 136

Post#15 » by ebott » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:41 pm

In an ideal world he takes the QO and we sign him in 2009. That would rock my world.

But I don't see that happening. If BG takes the QO that will mean he's only making 6 mil for the 08-09 season. That's 5 million dollars less than the Bulls reported offer. That's a lot of money to be giving up without a real promise of a return in the future.

I suppose if he's being offered 11 and thinks he can get 13+, over 6 years that's an extra 12+ million dollars and in the long run it could work out for him. But it still seems way too risky.

What seems more likely to me is he forces a trade by threatening to take the QO. But I doubt they'd trade him here. We'd want to send them a package with the likes of Outlaw, Sergio, Frye, Jack, Blake, etc. for Gordon. They'd rather go the other way where they ship out Gordon and other parts for a legit all-star.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#16 » by Cliff Levingston » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:43 pm

Chicago Tribune wrote:Gordon has told confidants he might sign a one-year tender offer next summer and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2008-09 season.

That's far different than the trade deadline, which was reference in the OP. Besides, sounds like something he would say out of frustration. Gordon can be as unhappy about his contract extension as he wants. Cliff Levingston doesn't agree with the reported "take it or leave it" method of presenting the contract offer, but just because Gordon wants more doesn't mean he'll get it. Ben is far more valuable to us than he is to a lot more teams, so we can afford to let him play the field this offseason, see that no one is going to offer close to what he wants, then sign him for something similar to what was offered this past offseason.

The Blazers don't have anything they'd be willing to give up that the Bulls would take for Gordon; he's arguably our most important player.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#17 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:02 pm

TradeMachine wrote:Isn't he asking for like $60 mil? If so, we'd have four core players getting max or near max money. He'd be a good complement to Roy, but he just isn't worth that kind of money.

If he can put up 15-27 shooting nights for us, he's worth that kind of money. Teams would have a devil of a time trying to stop that kind of offensive production and Roy. I don't know if it would make me forget about Drexler/Porter as our best backcourt combo ever, but it would be pretty darned close.
tucson
Ballboy

Post#18 » by tucson » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:40 am

No 6-3 shooting guard who shoots 43% (career) and is not a defensive stopper is worth $8-10 mil a year. Much less giving up young talent to try to trade for him. Steve Blake is a much better fit with Roy than Gordon would ever be.

Roy needs to be teamed up with a high efficiency, defensive minded, unselfish guard whom doesn't need to the ball much to be productive. Ben Gordon seems to be the complete opposite of that.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#19 » by Butter » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:33 am

tucson wrote:No 6-3 shooting guard who shoots 43% (career) and is not a defensive stopper is worth $8-10 mil a year. Much less giving up young talent to try to trade for him. Steve Blake is a much better fit with Roy than Gordon would ever be.

Roy needs to be teamed up with a high efficiency, defensive minded, unselfish guard whom doesn't need to the ball much to be productive. Ben Gordon seems to be the complete opposite of that.

Like Steve Blake?
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by DeezXXnutZ » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:03 pm

I've said it countless times on here...Ben Gordon would be perfect next to Roy for the next 10 years...

The question is how do we get him..?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers