Roy: Game Time Decision vs. Utah

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

TradeMachine
Banned User
And1: 3

Roy: Game Time Decision vs. Utah 

Post#1 » by TradeMachine » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:23 am

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazer ... ision.html

Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy, who is extending his hot December into the first week of January, has been deemed by the team training staff as a "game-time decision" for tonight's home game against Utah.

Roy has a badly bruised tailbone, the result of a hard fall Thursday after his driving layin was blocked by Ben Wallace in the final minute of regulation during the Blazers' 115-109 double-overtime victory at Chicago.

"My legs kind of ran into (Wallace's) and I landed smack on my butt,'' Roy said after the game. "And it just went downhill from there.''

Well, ****. We gotta have Brandon tomorrow. I think he'll tough it out and play unless doctors say otherwise.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#2 » by PDXKnight » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:28 am

Darn, it'll really make it hard to beat Utah (not to mention anyone) without Roy. Roy is the leader on this team and I'm hoping he can find a way to tough it out and help the Blazers continue the winning ways.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#3 » by Yadadimean » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:38 am

I'd rather just let him sit this one out if thats what he needs. It would be very nice to win tomorrow, but in the grand scheme of things, one little game against some garbage team is not worth potentially reaggrevating an injury. If he can play with a reasonable level of comfort - great. If not, oh well.
Signature
ghills88
Junior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by ghills88 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:43 am

Also, Brandon Roy is officially listed as a game-time decision for the game. He fell hard on his tail bone in the win over Chicago, and didn't have much mobility during the two overtime periods. He didn't practice on Friday, and was very sore. He's been taking a beating, and also has a nasty black eye from that game. If he plays, Utah will try and put him on the floor as much as possible. That's become the strategy against Brandon- make him pay for every drive into the lane. If for some reason Roy can't go, Jarrett Jack will likely start at the shooting-guard spot. Jarrett was huge in the win over the Bulls, and delivered the dagger with a three-point play (see photo above- love the reaction of the Chicago fans in the background, by the way). All that being said, I'll be surprised if we don't see Roy in the lineup. He's tough as nails, and after this game, the Blazers don't play until Wednesday against Golden State at the Rose Garden.

http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/back-home-looking-for-more.html

Barrett at least doesn't think it's serious. Hopefully he will play because I worry about our offense without him in there.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#5 » by J~Rush » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:44 am

Yadadimean wrote:I'd rather just let him sit this one out if thats what he needs. It would be very nice to win tomorrow, but in the grand scheme of things, one little game against some garbage team is not worth potentially reaggrevating an injury. If he can play with a reasonable level of comfort - great. If not, oh well.

+1

Lol @ the bold.
e
EGame
Head Coach
And1: 264

Post#6 » by EGame » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:55 am

My selfish side wants Roy to play because without him we are probably sunk, but if it is really bad then he should probably get some rest. I think Aldridge can have a repeat of what he did against Utah last time and then we will need people like Outlaw, Jack, Frye, Webster, and Jones to step up big time.
Yadadimean
Analyst

Post#7 » by Yadadimean » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:07 am

J~Rush wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1

Lol @ the bold.

lol [Cartman Voice] I hate Utah. I hate Utah so very, very much. [/Cartman Voice]
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#8 » by Jsun947 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:25 pm

Well if Roy plays tonight he will have 4 days of rest before we play against the Warriors on the 5th. If hes still sore then I think thats a better game for him to sit out. He would have another 4 days of rest after that before we play Toronto.

Sergio could get some serious minutes against a team like the warriors.
abuzz
Senior
And1: 82

Post#9 » by abuzz » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:46 pm

This is where having a deep bench pays dividends. If Roy plays, fantastic but if he can't go, other Blazers will have to step up and play a great game themselves. Most potential NBA Championship teams can practically put two different units out on the floor and still win games. The Blazers are starting to get such experience and confidence which can bode well for blazer fans over the next 5 years.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,084

Post#10 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:52 pm

If Roy is still in a lot of pain and not able to move too much, how much help will he really be if he plays? If he's hurting, he should sit. Let him offer his assistance from the bench during the timeouts and stuff. The players respect him and would listen to him. I'd actually like to see James Jones start at the SG position. Give the guy 35 minutes tonight and let's see him drain the 3's all night long!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Butter
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#11 » by Butter » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:30 pm

I'd actually be interested to see how the team plays without Roy, but its just really unfortunate that it would have to come against the Jazz. As the team that we're probably trying to beat to get into the Play-offs, it'd be nice to have the tie breaker.

Plus, the Jazz have been one of the Blazers rivals in the past, and project to be in the future, so it's always fun to be at full strength against them.

If Roy does sit, starting wings of James Jones and Webster, with Travis off the bench is probably the starters?
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#12 » by carrottop12 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:14 pm

Tailbone's are rough, I really hurt mine one time and it throws your entire life off course. I can't imagine running with one, much less jumping or getting crossed over by Deron Williams.

Jazz FTW!!!
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#13 » by CAE15 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:31 pm

Butter wrote:
Plus, the Jazz have been one of the Blazers rivals in the past, and project to be in the future, so it's always fun to be at full strength against them.

Jazz/Blazers used to be something but im not sure if it'll come up again is there really room for us to have you guys as rivals?

Between Lakers, Spurs, Rockets is there room? I would think some close calls are; Nuggets, Suns, Mavs, then I guess you guys could go here. We'll see. Time will Tell.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#14 » by Milkdud » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:36 pm

yeah I agree that tailbone injuries suck. I have bruised mine twice in pretty similar fasion to Roys, getting clobbered by big guys in basketball. I mean i couldnt even sit in a chair, and dont even think about trying to sleep on your back...ugh.
Yadadimean
Analyst

Post#15 » by Yadadimean » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:57 pm

New Jazzy Nets wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Jazz/Blazers used to be something but im not sure if it'll come up again is there really room for us to have you guys as rivals?

Between Lakers, Spurs, Rockets is there room? I would think some close calls are; Nuggets, Suns, Mavs, then I guess you guys could go here. We'll see. Time will Tell.

LOL are those guys even rivals of Utah? Is Utah in a rivalry with the entire Western Conference?
Butter
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#16 » by Butter » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:17 pm

Yadadimean wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LOL are those guys even rivals of Utah? Is Utah in a rivalry with the entire Western Conference?

Well, Sloan is an angry, angry man... :upset:
dalekjazz
Sixth Man
And1: 2
Location: Karl Malone Quote: "Anybody not wearing a Utah Jazz jersey is the enemy."

Post#17 » by dalekjazz » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:21 pm

The Jazz have faced the Blazers, along with the Rockets the most number of times in the playoffs (six times each). The Blazers have always had more talented players than the Jazz while the Jazz have relied on superior teamwork and coaching.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#18 » by Milkdud » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:43 am

dalekjazz wrote:The Jazz have faced the Blazers, along with the Rockets the most number of times in the playoffs (six times each). The Blazers have always had more talented players than the Jazz while the Jazz have relied on superior teamwork and coaching.

I dunno, you mighte be able to make a arguement that the blazers have more talent top to bottom then the Jazz. But having Williams,Okur,Boozer and AK-47 is a pretty decent amound of talent not to mention Milsap,Harping and now Korver off the bench.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#19 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:46 am

Milkdud wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I dunno, you mighte be able to make a arguement that the blazers have more talent top to bottom then the Jazz. But having Williams,Okur,Boozer and AK-47 is a pretty decent amound of talent not to mention Milsap,Harping and now Korver off the bench.

I think he was reffering to our teams historically.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#20 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:48 am

Does anyone have any word on whether Roy will play tonight or not?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers