Hollinger picks Ginobili over Roy for All Star Game 

Post#1 » by taufblazers33 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:13 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/ ... ars-080108

Manu doesnt even start! how can he be picked over Brandon Roy!? :banghead:
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#2 » by SabasRevenge! » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:16 pm

I don't know, but I'm sure Hollinger came up with some formula that allowed him to look past the last 17 games.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Re: Hollinger picks Ginobili over Roy for All Star Game 

Post#3 » by mojomarc » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:20 pm

taufblazers33 wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=WestAllStars-080108&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dhollinger_john%26page%3dWestAllStars-080108

Because Hollinger is a numbers guy and loves his PER, and Manu is a better PER player than Roy is in points (by over 5 per 40) and rebounds (by 1.3 per 40) while being only .4 assists per 40 less. If you're a numbers guy, you easily pick Manu for being about 20% better in points and rebounds. I mean seriously--how can you really get pissed about it when Manu gets more points and rebounds without being a starter than Roy does as a starter and in more minutes? Maybe if Roy came out and just buried Manu in the next game we'd have a case, but so far Roy has scored a grand total of 11 points in 71 minutes of play against the Spurs this season.
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#4 » by UGotThrilled » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:27 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe if Roy came out and just buried Manu in the next game we'd have a case, but so far Roy has scored a grand total of 11 points in 71 minutes of play against the Spurs this season.

To be fair, Roy has to play against Bruce Bowen. Otherwise, I can see why people would choose Manu
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#5 » by mojomarc » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:32 pm

UGotThrilled wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

To be fair, Roy has to play against Bruce Bowen. Otherwise, I can see why people would choose Manu

I know he played against Bowen. The point is that most of the voters don't look at that, but rather look at how well they did in games against each other through the boxscore.

Still, Roy should go and kick Bowen's butt next time and go off for 40 :)
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#6 » by Charlie78 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:43 pm

Whoever does the daily dime though had roy in with AI B-diddy Deron and Parker on the outside. I think it is fair though that roy is going to have to be both better statistically than other guys and continue to have the team perform at or near recent success to get in. Besides Ill take a 5-2 road trip over and allstar game any day.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#7 » by BlackMamba » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:43 pm

is the all-star supposed to have at least one player per team?
blazersmaniac8
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#8 » by blazersmaniac8 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:15 pm

BlackMamba wrote:is the all-star supposed to have at least one player per team?

nope heh not a bad idea except than you may have to pick a garbage player thats the best on the worst team ie ny and end up leaving a good player off cause his team is better ie nash and no stoudemire in phx.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#9 » by mighty_duck » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:23 am

taufblazers33 wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=WestAllStars-080108&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dhollinger_john%26page%3dWestAllStars-080108

Hollinger also picked Jose Calderon for the East squad...

He mostly ignores the amount of minutes a player is averaging on the court, and focuses on how much they do with those minutes. Manu is one of the most efficient players in the league if this is your criteria.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#10 » by J~Rush » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:32 am

Theres nothing wrong with that. Manu's been amazing this year. If anything, this should tell you how good Manu is, because we all know how good Roy is.
e

Return to Portland Trail Blazers