ImageImage

Bynum comparison...

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Bynum comparison... 

Post#1 » by SabasRevenge! » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:54 am

Over on the player comparison board Andrew Bynum has gone from Oden to Yao to Dwight in a day. It's so delusional. I wonder if they actually watch how far Bynum gets off the ground? I'm looking forward to our first matchup with the Lakers next season when Oden can give him a taste of what's to come for the next 15 years.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#2 » by J~Rush » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:58 am

Outside of Oden, Dwight, and Yao. I'd rather have Bynum than any other centers in the league. (factoring in age)
e
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#3 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:59 am

Oden's going to show Bynum what talent is next season vs the lakers. Bynum has been a pleasant surprise for the Lakers but I really think it's going a little too far to compare him to Shaq, Yao, Howard ect. as he hasn't proven that he can carry a team as the star or one of the main pieces and is far from a superstar at this stage in his career.
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by DeezXXnutZ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:11 am

J~Rush wrote:Outside of Oden, Dwight, and Yao. I'd rather have Bynum than any other centers in the league. (factoring in age)

Oh, you must have the Pryzz at #5 ..I can live with that......

:rofl:
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#5 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:43 am

I despise the lakers, and every time I watch Kobe I get violent, painful dirreah. That being said, this Bynum kid is the real deal. After our boy Oden and the incarnation of Zeus(Dwight), he is the soon to be #3 NBA center. I love watching the show we call Yao, but in all seriousness, I see Andrew being more of leading NBA big-man in the current NBA than Ming.

Dont hate on the bastard just because he is a Laker. He is the real deal, and I vomit heavily as I proclaim this.

Although he will suffer violently when he goes against Greg.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,336

Post#6 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:48 pm

Bynum is playing about 29 minutes a game.

In that time he's averaging 13pts, 10reb, 2blk, 1.6ast, while shooting 62%FG.

If Oden has those averages next season, I'd be thrilled.

And by next season, I would anticipate that Bynum will have improved, possibly by a substantial margin.

I anticipate that oden wull end up a better C then Bynum. But it may not happen nearly as fast as people here think, and the gap between the two may not be as wide either.

It should make for some interesting battles over the next decade.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#7 » by mojomarc » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:05 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Bynum is playing about 29 minutes a game.

In that time he's averaging 13pts, 10reb, 2blk, 1.6ast, while shooting 62%FG.

If Oden has those averages next season, I'd be thrilled.

I think that's a baseline of what to expect from Oden, not a "thrilling" result. The guy is too big, too strong, too athletic and too skilled not to have his offensive game translate well into the NBA and the rebounding/blocks are really not excessive for the guy by any means.

And by next season, I would anticipate that Bynum will have improved, possibly by a substantial margin.

I'm not nearly so confident. I've never seen the guy make a shot that wasn't a dunk. Now I'm not one to think that's necessarily a bad thing--Shaq couldn't do anything offensively except dunk when he first entered the league, after all--but Bynum doesn't seem to have the quickness or footwork to get to the rim enough to really improve that much statistically. Plus, he's playing with Kobe, so it's not like they're going to be feeding it to him in the same way that Oden will be used in Portland on the pick-and-roll. I would expect the main improvement for him to be on the defensive end, where it's pretty clear he's still learning how to use his body to keep other centers away from the paint.

I anticipate that oden wull end up a better C then Bynum. But it may not happen nearly as fast as people here think, and the gap between the two may not be as wide either.

I'm far more confident than you. I thought Oden at OSU with one hand would take this year's Bynum to school. Just too quick, too strong, and with too many offensive skills beyond dunking for Bynum to slow down, and too good at positioning himself defensively and too explosive not to really change how Bynum would have to play to get his points and rebounds.

I like Bynum as a future player, but he hasn't indicated the ability to become a Patrick Ewing/David Robinson type of producer any more than Joel did two years ago when he had that streak of double-doubles.

[qoute]It should make for some interesting battles over the next decade.[/quote]

That matchup will live and die with Kobe. Oden should be able to match up very well against Bynum, but in the post-Kobe era when they will theoretically have to depend on Bynum as a major offensive threat (if he does indeed substantially improve to the point where this is feasible), then Oden and a double teamer that doesn't have to be used on Kobe will stifle him completely.

Oh, and J~Rush: I'd easily take Chandler over him any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and if we're just going by the next year or two I'd take Big Z over him as well.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,336

Post#8 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:45 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That matchup will live and die with Kobe. Oden should be able to match up very well against Bynum, but in the post-Kobe era when they will theoretically have to depend on Bynum as a major offensive threat (if he does indeed substantially improve to the point where this is feasible), then Oden and a double teamer that doesn't have to be used on Kobe will stifle him completely.

my reservations about oden next season aren't huge, but I still have them. Some because of not knowing exactly how he'll respond after his MF-surgery. But more because he will be a 20 year old rookie who won't have played competitive basketball in 18 months. That's a long break for someone his age, who was just beginning to step from one level of competition to another. (all reasons why I think trading Pryzbilla is a bad idea)

And those reservations are why I'd be thrilled with 13 and 10 as his baseline numbers in his first season. I do expect him to end up a better C then Bynum, because i think Oden will be quicker, more agile, and more athletic. And he'll be those things, while also likely being bigger and stronger, and maybe just as tall.

And I'm kind of getting thrilled just saying those things.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by SabasRevenge! » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:12 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I thought Oden at OSU with one hand would take this year's Bynum to school. Just too quick, too strong, and with too many offensive skills beyond dunking for Bynum to slow down, and too good at positioning himself defensively and too explosive not to really change how Bynum would have to play to get his points and rebounds.

I like Bynum as a future player, but he hasn't indicated the ability to become a Patrick Ewing/David Robinson type of producer any more than Joel did two years ago when he had that streak of double-doubles.

+1

I think this long layoff has people forgetting why Oden was considered a once in a generation-type center. It's tough not seeing our guy out there, but I believe he'll make a full recovery from his surgery and continue to be way ahead of schedule. He's working with some of the best trainers in the world, so I'm not worried about his weight either.

I'd compare Bynum's shooting % to Biedrins' because both of those guys are getting most of their buckets on putbacks or dunks. Neither is even a second option on their team. While Bynum moves pretty well for a 7-footer, he sure doesn't get far off the ground. As Mojo said, Oden's explosiveness is on a completely different level.
pdxblazers92087
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by pdxblazers92087 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:14 pm

everytime i get down on oden i watch the youtube highlights of him vs dallas... It makes me remember how nasty this guy is going to be. Bynum is great but he wont come near Oden imo on or off the court. Let the lakers fans have their fun now and then we can look back and laugh about this in a couple years.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#11 » by mojomarc » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:49 pm

pdxblazers92087 wrote:everytime i get down on oden i watch the youtube highlights of him vs dallas... It makes me remember how nasty this guy is going to be. Bynum is great but he wont come near Oden imo on or off the court. Let the lakers fans have their fun now and then we can look back and laugh about this in a couple years.

I'd like to see Bynum do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HGZxKFFpYY

:o
blazersmaniac8
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#12 » by blazersmaniac8 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:48 pm

heres the thing, potential has to be lived up OF COURSE. However with bynum he has the chance to be a top 5 center in this era with few good bigmen. Oden has the potential to be a top 5 center of all time. For that reason only I take the gamble with oden.
pdxblazers92087
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by pdxblazers92087 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:26 pm

I'd say Oden > x 10 Bynum when it comes to his ability to deal with the public. Oden did i mean have an entire city fall in love with him and he didnt miss practice more than a couple times last season.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#14 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:37 pm

Some of you guys need to watch a laker game because you are out of touch with Bynum. Bynum actually has very good leaping ability and quite often you will see his head right around the rim. He also has some of the best hands I have ever seen in a bigman and a great touch around the basket to top it off. The sky is the limit for this kid as long as he's committed to working hard and he's going to be a force in the league if that happens.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers