ImageImage

Is Outlaw becoming untouchable?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Is Outlaw becoming untouchable? 

Post#1 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:54 pm

I've watched most of your games over the last few years and the improvement this kid has made over that period of time has really impressed me. His midrange jumper is becoming automatic and the scary part is that it's also unblockable because he gets off the ground so high. To me he's starting look a lot like Dominique Wilkins with his style of play and has the makings of a big time scorer in this league.
haschel cedricson
Junior
And1: 4

Post#2 » by haschel cedricson » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:02 pm

He's not untouchable, but I can't think of any players I would trade him straight-up for off the top of my head.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#3 » by Billy » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:03 pm

I don't know if untouchable would be the right term, I think there are plenty of guys Portland would trade him for or trade him as part of a package for. But, I think that he's not going to be a cheap acquisition for other teams, and I also don't think that many teams will want to pay the price that it would most likely take to get him.

He certainly is not a player that Portland would seem to have interest in moving as part of a deal to dump salary or anything of that nature that much is certain. I'm not saying he's worth a Tracy McGrady or someone of that ilk--not at all. But I think unless the team interested starts talking pretty high that Portland probably wouldn't be too interested.
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#4 » by breaker91 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:07 pm

At this stage of his career and the team's development he is almost untouchable. I couldn't see management moving him right now for a short term gain, since this year's and likel next year's team wouldn't optimistically make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. However, I could see him being moved in the future for a player who would put Portland in a position to compete for a championship.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:19 pm

The Blazers obviously shouldn't go for any outlaw trade but he's far from untouchable. When I think of untouchable players, I mainly think of Roy, LA, and Oden and everyone else like outlaw, Martell, and Frye are tradeable but for a high price. Acquiring Outlaw would take a stud in return that fills a dire team need and I don't really see many realistic options that would get us a fair return or would be fair for the other team wanting Outlaw.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#6 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:29 pm

breaker91 wrote:At this stage of his career and the team's development he is almost untouchable. I couldn't see management moving him right now for a short term gain, since this year's and likel next year's team wouldn't optimistically make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. However, I could see him being moved in the future for a player who would put Portland in a position to compete for a championship.

I think you guys are in a position to win a title next year. The key this season was to let the youngsters develope and establish an identity for what type of team you guys want. That's exactly what we've seen so far and the hard work and unselfishness is paying off big time. The scary part is that this team still has barely scratched it's true potential because every young player has quite a bit of improvement left in them. Then you add in Oden who is going to be a defensive monster and Rudy Fernandez who is arguably the best player in the europe and it's insane how good you guys could be.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Post#7 » by ebott » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:24 pm

No, Outlaw is nowhere near untouchable. In fact, I'll be really surprised if he isn't traded this off-season. There's just no room for him to play a significant role with Aldridge, Przybilla and Oden on the team.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#8 » by Butter » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:31 pm

I would say that a team would have to pry Outlaw out. In fact to get Outlaw, a team would have to take on Darius Miles IMO.

But then again, I don't work for the Blazers, so who knows what they'll do?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#9 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:36 pm

If both Oden and fernandez are added to the rotation next year, it would seem then one of outlaw-webster-jones will become 'touchable', especially if frye is part of the longe term plan.

Jones can opt-out so maybe he'll solve some of the playing time squeeze by going elsewhere. But even if he goes opt-out he may want to remain a blazer.

I could be wrong, but of those 4 players...outlaw-webster-jones-frye...I'd think Outlaw will have the most trading value, and maybe by a substantial margin. Of course, he's also developing into a valuable member of the Blazers, so it will take a real sweet deal for portland to trade him. But if it came along, I don't think KP would hesitate for very long.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#10 » by BlackMamba » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:40 pm

not 100% untouchable, but he has raised his value a lot.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#11 » by Mr Odd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 am

ebott wrote:No, Outlaw is nowhere near untouchable. In fact, I'll be really surprised if he isn't traded this off-season. There's just no room for him to play a significant role with Aldridge, Przybilla and Oden on the team.

Trade out 2nd best clutch player??
The guy who takes over in the 4th
and has been a major reason why
we have been winning?? Oh, and is
still extremely young and has more
room to get even better?? Hmm.. .

I dont get it. Help me understand bud!!
:wink:
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#12 » by Yadadimean » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 am

ebott wrote:No, Outlaw is nowhere near untouchable. In fact, I'll be really surprised if he isn't traded this off-season. There's just no room for him to play a significant role with Aldridge, Przybilla and Oden on the team.

Care to elaborate on your reasoning here? No room? He is already playing a significant role for us right now! He's usually the first off the bench playing a good amount of minutes and making clutch plays down the stretch of games that we would otherwise not be winning without him. When Oden comes in, is his role going to be diminished? Maybe only marginally seeing how Oden doesn't play his position, and Aldridge might get 2 minutes a game more at pf than he does now.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#13 » by Yadadimean » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 am

I dont know that untouchable is the word. Please excuse the way this is going to sound, but he is slightly touchable. LOL
Signature
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#14 » by b_roy7 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:34 am

I don't consider Outlaw untouchable. The way I see it, our big 3 is untouchable. And Outlaw I would say is we'd have to KILL the other team and improve drastically in a trade to trade him.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 553

Post#15 » by Goldbum » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 am

Here's the deal, if you are getting a player like E. Gordon or D.Rose you trade him. If you are not you don't. He's untouchable in that it's highly unlikely a team will call and make an offer for him that PDX would consider, however if the Blazers are makeing a bid to move up and get their franchise PG or combo guard I don't see him as being a deal breaker.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Post#16 » by ebott » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 am

I believe that next season Greg Oden will take all the big man minutes that Travis is currently playing.

This season:
c- Joel (20), Aldridge(14), Frye (14)
pf- Aldridge (20), Outlaw (26), Frye (2)

Next season:
c- Oden (28 ), Joel (20)
pf- Aldridge (35)

That leaves a grand total of 13 minutes for our backup power forward.

I like Travis, but Greg is going to push him out of the rotation. We should trade him while his value is high rather than waiting until it's obvious to everyone that we've got a big man log jam and Travis is the odd man out.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
541Blaza
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#17 » by 541Blaza » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:38 am

I'm sorry but :crazy:

I don't follow. Outlaw is going nowhere.
doogul
Rookie
And1: 50

Post#18 » by doogul » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:01 am

It's amazing how fast our views change...if you had asked this question before this season began, people would be mocking you for even suggesting that he's untouchable. But he has really come around this season. I wouldn't say untouchable but I wouldn't trade him unless it was a damn good deal. We're just beginning to see how good this guy can be. The Blazers are growing up right before our eyes!! *tear* ;)
kellex
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#19 » by kellex » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:32 am

i really wish people would get off travis outlaw's jock...this guy is so freakin overrated. every year all we hear is "omg! so much potential! he's untouchable and such a raw talent!" its so god damn ridiculous!

how inconsistent is this guy? and how pathetic does he look every single game until he makes a couple fade away jumpers and then people go 'OHHHHHHH!!!! SO GOOD! UNTOUCHABLE!"

recognize people! recognize! outlaw gone, we would not be any worse off.
blog: Blaze of Love
http://www.blazeoflove.com
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#20 » by TBpup » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:48 am

Here is why Travis is so valuable.

There are precious few players in the league let alone on the Blazers (outside of Roy) that can consitently create their own shot. Out of those select few, you can chop that at least by 2/3rds as to who excels at those shots in the 4th quarter....
Travis is one of those players.

He is deficient in other areas but that commodity is very rare which in turn makes him quite valuable.

:starwars
@TBpup22

Return to Portland Trail Blazers