ImageImage

New Blazer web site help

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

p-fizzle
Ballboy
And1: 0

New Blazer web site help 

Post#1 » by p-fizzle » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:15 am

Hey guys I have been around the boards for a while but more of a lurker then poster. I recently started a new Blazer website that I am still working on but wanted to have other people take a look at it and give any suggestions for improvements. The web site is http://www.blazerscourtside.com. I am working on getting some podcasts and interviews with some of the players and people affiliated with the Blazers. Any feedback or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
p-fizzle
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#2 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm

good luck with it.

i don't think it's bad, but watch out with the fonts, the image borders and the contrast between the background and the font color.

red is sometimes the worst color because it burns your eyes.
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#3 » by b_roy7 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:51 pm

I would recommend you get better font. Also, the "Schedule", "Roster", and "Podcast" go to the same page.
BiggieSmalls
Senior

Post#4 » by BiggieSmalls » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:03 pm

not too shabby, i agree with the font though make it better but i will attend the site regularly anything blazers is always enjoyable!
DreMiller/Faried>>>>>>>Felton/Smith

Nicolas Batuuuuuuuuuuum!

R.I.P Sean Chancellor
Klinky
Assistant Coach
And1: 536

Post#5 » by Klinky » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:16 pm

You also need to strongly think, "how is this better than the Blazer's own homepage"? If you can bring your own personal interviews with people in the Blazer's org then that'd be a great addition. If you're justing going to copy & paste info from the Blazers website(Schedules, Boxscores, Blazers.com interviews), then the website is pointless.

Problems w/ your current site:

A) The layout is pretty terrible, it just looks like it's all strewn down the front of the page. I would suggest you add a sidebar to the page instead of having that ugly grey table at the top. Also maybe look into a CMS & look up some design tutorials...

B) You need to get rid of the ads on your site unless they are unobtrusive. Having a giant banner at the top of your site is annoying. You're letting GoDaddy hoist their **** ads on your site because you don't want to pay for hosting? I would suggest you check out AngryHosting.com you can get a basic acct with 10,000MB transfer & 1GB storage for $1/mn(that's $12 for the whole year & no annoying ads). Also I would be careful with the ads on the left side. The NBA sticker/ticker is annoying and useless. If I wanted NBA.com info I'd go there.

If you plan on adding regular content to specific sections you will probably want a CMS(Content Management System). This may make it a whole lot easier unless you enjoy editing & archiving HTML files manually by hand every time you have new content go to a specific section. Also a lot of CMS' have built in templates & styles so you don't have to hack together a layout from scratch.

People who don't invest, even a little bit of money and/or take care with the design of their site look lazy. If you don't care enough to part with $20 - $25 & invest a lot of your personal time in making the site not burn my retinas then it means you're probably not going to update the site regularly & it's not worth my while to ever visit it again.
Circus Americano!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers