ImageImage

If Jones opts out and walks..

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Bustabucket
Freshman
And1: 0

If Jones opts out and walks.. 

Post#1 » by Bustabucket » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:08 am

would we keep the 3m in cap space, or look for a replacement?

I realize Fernandez is likely to come over, which adds another player to our already large roster.

However, barring a miraculous performance by Miles that earns him a spot on our team, I think we should really take a look at a few guys in the '08 FA class that IMO could be had for a portion of the MLE. I think these guys could make a positive impact on the team:

Ryan Gomes 07-08 MIN 34 GP 26.2 MPG 0.415 FG% 0.321 3FG% 0.833 FT% 1.5 OFF 3.5 DEF 5.0 RPG 1.4 APG 0.8 SPG 0.1 BPG 1.38 TO 1.80 FPG 10.1 PPG
I've been impressed with his game since he was playing in Boston, he seems to me like a dedicated rebounder and a quality individual. At 6'7 and 250 he would be able to play both SF and PF effectively.

Chris Quinn Not a realistic pick-up due to our depth at PG, but I think he will become a decent 2nd string PG if he can ever get off the bench in Miami.

Maybe even a defensive gaurd like Kirk Snyder could be a decent pick up for us.

I would like to hear what others think about these guys, other options, other players; any feedback is appreciated.

Go Blazers!
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Re: If Jones opts out and walks.. 

Post#2 » by J~Rush » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:19 am

Bustabucket wrote:would we keep the 3m in cap space, or look for a replacement?

I realize Fernandez is likely to come over, which adds another player to our already large roster.

However, barring a miraculous performance by Miles that earns him a spot on our team, I think we should really take a look at a few guys in the '08 FA class that IMO could be had for a portion of the MLE. I think these guys could make a positive impact on the team:

Ryan Gomes 07-08 MIN 34 GP 26.2 MPG 0.415 FG% 0.321 3FG% 0.833 FT% 1.5 OFF 3.5 DEF 5.0 RPG 1.4 APG 0.8 SPG 0.1 BPG 1.38 TO 1.80 FPG 10.1 PPG
I've been impressed with his game since he was playing in Boston, he seems to me like a dedicated rebounder and a quality individual. At 6'7 and 250 he would be able to play both SF and PF effectively.

Chris Quinn Not a realistic pick-up due to our depth at PG, but I think he will become a decent 2nd string PG if he can ever get off the bench in Miami.

Maybe even a defensive gaurd like Kirk Snyder could be a decent pick up for us.

I would like to hear what others think about these guys, other options, other players; any feedback is appreciated.

Go Blazers!

I think any extra minutes coming from a hypothetical Jones walk should go to Outlaw, Martell, Fernandez, and ?miles?.
e
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#3 » by DmoneyH3 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:43 am

I know its hypothetical but I don't see Jones wanting to leave this team.
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#4 » by BigOrangeBalls » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:47 am

DmoneyH3 wrote:I know its hypothetical but I don't see Jones wanting to leave this team.

I agree. I don't think anyone wants to leave this team, even Raef!
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 554

Post#5 » by Goldbum » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:16 am

I actually really like Darius Washington. I would love for us to pick him up.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
541Blaza
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by 541Blaza » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:48 am

I doubt Jones would want to leave. Who in the whole league would not want to play with this team? Roy-Oden-Aldridge and a top 5 coach, the richest owner in the league, what's not to love?
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#7 » by TBpup » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 am

Just think of the open looks he is going to get when teams have to start helping down on Oden....or after Greg grabs an offensive rebound and kicks it out. :clap:

Think of the weapons that are going to be on the team. About the only think missing is a banger besides Oden and a look down perimeter defender :wavefinger: like Bowen or Patterson (used to be).

:starwars
@TBpup22
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by DeezXXnutZ » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:26 am

DmoneyH3 wrote:I know its hypothetical but I don't see Jones wanting to leave this team.

I'm with you, And if he did I think he would regret it for the rest of his life...

:thumbsup:
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#9 » by Yadadimean » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 am

I agree with everyone. The question isnt going to be whether or not Jones wants us, but rather whether or not we want Jones. I think everyone knows the answer. Who doesn't want the best 3 pt shooter in the league?
Signature
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#10 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:37 pm

i agree, i don't see why anyone would like to leave this team.

but, if any decide to go, i think the blazers have proved they are a team and that there will be a player waiting to get that spot.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#11 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Unless he opts-out and demands 7 or 8 million a year, there's a pretty good chance portland will re-sign him.

But it's not a certainty of course. For instance, the Miami Heat are really regretting letting Kapono get away and they desperately need some outside shooting. They may offer Jones the full MLE which should start at 5.5 million/yr. Jones is from Miami and still has a lot of family there. He may look at a 30 million dollar contract to play in his hometown and be around family and friends as too good to pass up.

setting aside an occasional hurricane, the weather is better in Miami as well.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#12 » by Jsun947 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Spacing the floor is one of the most important pieces of a championship team. Theres no way hes going to walk. We'll give him the money he deserves.

You still have to remember Jones is just a role player. He isn't Deng, or Igudola. I expect him to get a contract about the size of Jason Kapono's when its all said and done.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers