I don't get it

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

I don't get it 

Post#1 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 am

Everyone outside of Portland rags on the Blazers about their winning streak. Sure, they talk about what an exciting team we have, but then they follow it up by saying they're playing easy teams, playing mostly at home, blah blah blah.

Winning against the easy teams and at home is what you're suppose to do! Why put a team down for doing what they're suppose to do? Not many other teams in the league are doing what they're suppose to do. Sure, they might not beat San Antonio or Boston, but they're beating most everyone else. What's wrong with this picture?

I just don't get it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,989

Post#2 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:47 am

It's their last chance to make an argument against the Blazers that holds any kind of water for, oh, the next ten years. Let 'em have their fun; they'll be having less fun when our guys are polishing their hardware.

EYEBROWS
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,989

Post#3 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:52 am

My favorite anti-Blazers thread of the moment is the Roy vs. Hardaway thread on the PC board. It didn't start anti-Blazers, but it offered a great opportunity to bash Roy and call him overrated.

My guess is most of those who consider it an insult to mention the two in the same sentence are too young to remember Penny for who he actually was and not just for his hype and projected prime (that never was). Penny was a little bit better than Brandon at scoring and was a more disruptive defender (but never a great defender, really). Beyond that, the two are pretty comparable.
Clipsz 4 Life

January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006

Saxon

February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#4 » by UGotThrilled » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:18 am

yeah, I guess we just need to let them say that now. Even if we don't make the playoffs this year, I wont be disappointed. I dont feel the need to defend the Blazers. I just enjoy watching them win. If other teams need to make excuses to feel better, thats fine, as long as we keep winning. I think it will be funny when we go either 3-4 or 4-3 for this road trip and everybody starts talking about how we werent really as good as the streak suggested. Most people on the Blazers forum recognize that, and appreciate the streak for what it was, A STREAK. it is not as if people expect us to win 80% of our remaining games, we were just happy to get a leg up in the playoff race, which we werent even supposed to be in.
pr0nny
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by pr0nny » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 am

The main thing to always keep in mind is 95% of the people on RealGM are absolute f**cking morons. And homers. And people who come on here just to bash anything and everything.

For every Tim Lehrbach and UGotThrilled there are 10 NetsForces or smug chest beating swingman jersey wearing f**ktard.
kumquat
Starter
And1: 63

Re: I don't get it 

Post#6 » by kumquat » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Everyone outside of Portland rags on the Blazers about their winning streak.

I actually disagree with this on other boards, the blazers are building quite a bandwagon and we're being recocgnised as a legitimate team.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#7 » by BlackMamba » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:33 pm

well, this road trip will help or harm how the blazers are seen by the rest of the league/fans.
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Re: I don't get it 

Post#8 » by BigOrangeBalls » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:03 pm

kumquat wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I actually disagree with this on other boards, the blazers are building quite a bandwagon and we're being recocgnised as a legitimate team.

I've noticed positive posts from other fans as well, but the negative posters seem to be out in full force and are very loud.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#9 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:My favorite anti-Blazers thread of the moment is the Roy vs. Hardaway thread on the PC board. It didn't start anti-Blazers, but it offered a great opportunity to bash Roy and call him overrated.

My guess is most of those who consider it an insult to mention the two in the same sentence are too young to remember Penny for who he actually was and not just for his hype and projected prime (that never was). Penny was a little bit better than Brandon at scoring and was a more disruptive defender (but never a great defender, really). Beyond that, the two are pretty comparable.

yeah, I've been posting some responses in that thread. Part of it was just to be contrary, which can be entertaining. But another part of it was because most of the posters were exaggerating Penny's actual ability to a ridiculous level, and then maintaining it was an insult to Penny to be compared to Roy.

Penny was a very good player for about a 2-3 year window, but then injuries took over. And that is just as much a reality as the Sportscenter highlights.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#10 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

L'il Penny was more interesting an interview than Penny actually was.

As far as comparing Penny to Roy, Penny prior to the injuries was probably an equal player to Roy. The additional assists he got were mostly just lobs into Shaq, who was practically automatic at that point. Roy hasn't had anything like Shaq yet to.

Probably a seperate thread, but since I'm in a speculating mood, how many additional assists per game do you guys think Roy will get when he has Oden to pass to on the pick and roll? I'm guessing Oden's probably good for about two more for Brandon if not more.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

mojomarc wrote:L'il Penny was more interesting an interview than Penny actually was.

As far as comparing Penny to Roy, Penny prior to the injuries was probably an equal player to Roy. The additional assists he got were mostly just lobs into Shaq, who was practically automatic at that point. Roy hasn't had anything like Shaq yet to.

Probably a seperate thread, but since I'm in a speculating mood, how many additional assists per game do you guys think Roy will get when he has Oden to pass to on the pick and roll? I'm guessing Oden's probably good for about two more for Brandon if not more.

In his 3rd and 4th seasons, Penny was better then Roy is now. But the gap isn't very big...certainly not like a lot of the posters in that thread were maintaining.

I also made the point repeatedly that Roy is always the focus of other team's defences, while Shaq was the focus of defences with Orlando, not Hardaway. The Shaq factor was a huge benefit for penny.

And the Oden factor should be huge for Roy. As to Roy's assist numbers, if Joel didn't have chuckmuncie hands, Brandon would probably have 2 more assists a game THIS year.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:And the Oden factor should be huge for Roy. As to Roy's assist numbers, if Joel didn't have chuckmuncie hands, Brandon would probably have 2 more assists a game THIS year.

I love that! "Chuck Muncie hands"! :rofl:

I really think, with the hands Oden demonstrated at OSU, that his offensive impact will be greater than a lot of folks, even here, are predicting. The guy has soft hands, and he is a flat out monster on the low post, which should combine for a mid-teens offensive output IMO.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:50 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I love that! "Chuck Muncie hands"! :rofl:

I really think, with the hands Oden demonstrated at OSU, that his offensive impact will be greater than a lot of folks, even here, are predicting. The guy has soft hands, and he is a flat out monster on the low post, which should combine for a mid-teens offensive output IMO.

kind of exciting prospects for blazer fans isn't it...and don't you mean 'with the hand he demonstrated' ?... :D

Something else I noticed about oden in those 2 summer league games...he might turn out to be dynamite interior passer. He had a couple of passes to LMA and a couple more to Martell that were excellent. He'll need to be good at that if he starts drawing double teams. Then the thought of him being doubled and passing to LMA or Frye mid-range, or Jones and Webster (and Blake) behind the arc...well, it makes me giggle
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:53 pm

^^^I think it's very likely that Oden has a much higher basketball IQ than Durant does. Granted, we only saw bits and pieces of Oden, but here is a guy that is a great team player (look how often at OSU he deferred to MCJr.) and has shown great awareness of the double team closing on him and deftly finds the open man from the low post. Just makes me think that the team ball we've been playing since the start of December will only get better and better when he is finally playing.
swede
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#15 » by swede » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 pm

<3 Our Team
Cyborg21 wrote:Screw you Batum, throwing us under the bus, I hope we destroy these scum next year.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers